Uma Shanti is a Ukrainian singer, artist, and DJ who is the frontwoman of the Ukrainian band Shanti People, which mixes EDM with Vedic mantras. In 2023, during a Pre-Independence Day event in Pune, she was accused of demeaning the national flag of India after she flung the flag into the audience. Wion
Uma Devi Instagram – Uma Shanti, also known as Jiapiha Larina Punekar News, was born on 14 February in Russia. Her zodiac sign is Aquarius. She moved to Kyiv, Ukraine, in 2010 and got settled there. Later, she obtained a passport of Ukraine.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Colour: Light Blonde
Eye Colour: Greyish-Blue
Parents & Siblings
Her father and brother reside in Russia.
Husband & Children
Uma Shanti got married to Shanti Bo, sound engineer and manager of Shanti People, on 8 October 2010. Together, they have a daughter named Soniya Show, who was born on 18 January 2017.
In an interview, while talking about her religion Uma said,
I can’t really say I belong to any specific religion! I believe in spirituality and I see God in everything around me. I like Hinduism more than other religions, but I respect all of them. It’s all Sanatana Dharma. I love the sacral knowledge in every spiritual tradition, but I don’t like when religion turns into a control system. I love being a pilgrim and getting in touch with living spiritual culture! This is a great source of energy for me! There I meet spiritual teachers, from whom I have been learning all my life.” My India My Glory
Uma Shanti founded Shanti People, a Kyiv-based World music band performing Vedic Mantras in combination with groovy electronics in 2008 with Shanti Bo. As the lead singer of the band, Uma has worked on various music projects, showcasing her creativity and experimenting with sounds in a fusion of Techno. She is also a DJ and has hosted several social events.
She has performed live at many stage shows and concerts in Ukraine and abroad. Some of the World festivals in which she has performed include Sunburn Festival, Ozora, World Trance Winter, Summer Never Ends, GogolFest, Veda Life, Inne Brzmienia, Radhadesh Summer Holi Festival, Hedonism, Eurovision Village Kyiv, and Xperience Festival. She has also performed at many solo live shows in Germany, France, Switzerland, Spain, Belgium, Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine, and India.
Uma Shanti brings forth an exceptional ambience of positivity on stage through her authentic energy and magnetic charisma. A teacher of vocal Yoga, Uma Shanti organises several vocal Yoga classes for her students. Her music compositions are mainly based on Mantras, Chalisas pertaining to Hindu deities and also pertaining to Sanatana Dharma. She, along with her band members has artistically reinterpreted compositions like Mahisasur Mardini, Shiv Tandav Strotam, Hanuman Chalisa, Durga Chalisa, Mahaganpati Mool Mantra, Gayatri Mantra, Sita Ram, Kal Bhairava, and Shiva Shambho. She is often seen doing Mantra Jam (Kirtan) at various live shows.
Some of her popular tracks include HI – LO X Space 92 – Mercury, Shanti People – Sri Mangala Gita (Jackob mix), Little Buddha, Stop, and Butterfly. Her tracts are often played on Armin van Buuren’s radio show – A State of Trance, Psy-nation Radio hosted by Liquid Soul & Ace Ventura and Dreamstate Radio by Vini Vici. Her band has a YouTube channel titled Shanti People.’ The channel was created on 13 November 2010 and has 483 subscribers on it. The channel has received a silver YouTube Button for its content.
Booked For Insulting the Indian Flag
On 13 August 2023, Uma Shanti performed at a pre-Independence Day (India) concert organised by Karthik More in Freq – Super Club Bar Kitchen, Koregaon Park Area, Pune. Apparently, she was holding the national flag in both her hands throughout her performance and when the event was about to close, at around 12:30 am, she tossed the Indian flag into the audience. Soon, a video clip of the incident went viral on social media after which an FIR was lodged against Uma Shanti and the organiser of the event Karthik More by Havaldar Tanaji Deshmukh at the Koregaon Park police station. According to the police, a case under section 110 of the Maharashtra Police Act, and section 2 of the Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act was filed against Uma and Karthik in this matter. ABP Live
Tattoos & Piercing
Uma has got a Shakti Ma tattooed on her back.
She has got a Septum Piercing
- Raag: Bhimpalasi
- Season: Spring
- Travel Destination: Greece
- Attire: Saree
- Uma Shanti loves travelling and discovering new places in her leisure time.
- Uma is inspired by Vedic Philosophy, Bhakti Yog, and Vedic Mantras inspire her.
- She is an ardent follower of Lord Vishnu, Lord Krishna, Lord Shiva, and Lord Ganesha.
- Uma Shanti practises Mantra Yoga and Hatha Yoga to maintain her mental and physical health.
- In an Instagram post Uma shared that she had a habit of getting her hair cut at every new milestone in her life. Instagram – Uma Shanti
- Uma is well-versed in playing various musical instruments like flute, sarod, piano, harmonica, and guitar.
- She is an avid dog lover and has a pet dog.
- She has a great liking for India and the Indian culture.
- In 2019, a video of Uma Shanti went viral on the internet in which she was seen chanting Hanuman Chalisa. Many people on social media claimed that the vocalist seen recording Hanuman Chalisa was the American singer Madonna. However, it was later clarified by many media houses that the singer was not Madonna but Uma Shanti. India Today
- Once, Uma went to a recording studio in Kyiv to record some vocals, where she met Bo, the sound engineer and manager of Shanti People. Uma inspired him to work on a project and together they started Shanti People, a Kyiv-based World music band, in 2008.
- In an interview, Uma Shanti said Mantras not only serve to dispel worries and instil tranquillity in the mind and heart but also aid in comprehending the essence of consciousness. She said,
Mantras do not only eliminate the worries and bring the peacefulness to the mind and heart, but also help to understand the nature of the consciousness, which is the most important thing in the practice of self-realization. In our music we try to express our knowledge though the common language of electronic music. We are happy that we can share this treasure with our audience.”