Sriram Venkitaraman is a suspended IAS officer and a medical doctor. He was arrested in connection to a road accident, which lead to the death of the journalist K.M. Basheer.
Shri Sriram V alias Sriram Venkitaraman was born on Friday, 28 November 1986 (age 33 years; as in 2019) in Kerala. His zodiac sign is Saggitarius. He did his schooling from Bhavan’s Vidya Mandir, Girinagar. He pursued M.B.B.S. from the Trivandrum Medical College and MD from Srirama Chandra Bhanja Medical College and Hospital in Cuttack.
He did his Master’s in Public Health from Harvard University through the Fulbright Program.
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Wife
His father, P. R. Venkataraman is a Professor of Zoology. His mother, Rajam Ramamoorthy works for State Bank of India. He has a sister named Lakshmi, who is a doctor.
Sriram passed his Civil Services Exam in the second attempt in 2012 and in 2013, he was allocated to the Kerala cadre in 2013. In 2015, he joined in as the assistant secretary in the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution. He served as the sub-collector in Devikulam. He was serving as the Director of the Kerala Survey Department until he was suspended for allegedly crashing his car with K. M. Basheer’s (Journalist/Bureau Chief of Siraj) bike in an intoxicated state, which resulted in Basheer’s death.
- In 2017, during the eviction drive in Munnar, he was serving as the sub-collector in Devikulam. He served notices to around 100 resorts and unauthorised constructions. He irked the local politicians in Munnar including the Chief Minister of Kerala Piranayi Vijayan for initiating strong actions against the illegal constructions in Munnar.
- In Aug 2019, he was arrested for driving the car in a rash, negligent manner, and in the state of intoxication and fatally knocking down the journalist K. M. Basheer which resulted in his death.
- Actor: Mammootty
- Film: “The King & the Commissioner (2012),” “Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum (2017),” “The Motorcycle Diaries (2004),” “Fight Club (1999)”
- Poet: V. Madhusoodanan Nair
- Writer: Franz Kafka
- Book: ‘Khasakkinte Itihasam’ by Novel by O. V. Vijayan, ‘The Story of My Experiment with Truth’
- Sports: Basketball, Cricket
- Travel Destinations: Pathanamthitta in Kerala, Goa, Agrasen ki Baoli in Delhi
- Pilgrimage Site: Hazrat Nizamuddin Aulia Dargah in Delhi
- He likes reading, watching movies, doing street photography, and travelling.
- After he had pursued his graduation, one of his friends named Lakhmi suggested him to try for UPSC Examinations. She told him that he could make better use of his medical knowledge, if he would become an IAS officer. Sriram thought about it extensively and finally decided to appear for UPSC Examinations.
- He is a sporty person likes to play Basketball and Cricket.
- He likes travelling and one of his most favourite destinations is Kodachadri mountain in Karnataka.
- In an interview, Sriram once expressed his desire to work for the Mental Health Care in Oolampara in Thiruvananthapuram.
- Sriram also wanted to direct a film after watching the characters ‘Joseph Alex IAS and Bharath Chandran IPS’ of the film “The King & the Commissioner.”
- Reportedly, On 3 March 2019, Sriram was going to his apartment in Kawdiar and Wafa Firoze offered to help him get to his apartment on his car. Instead of going back to his apartment, he wanted to have dinner at Palayam. The duo stopped in mid-way at Café Coffee Day. From there, Sriram took the in charge of driving when the accident happened.
- After the accident happened, Sriram admitted himself to a private hospital. After the Magistrate Court ordered his imprisonment, he was taken to the Government College Medical Hospital in Kerala.
- Two days after he was arrested, the government put him under suspension with immediate effect under Rule 3(3) of the All India Services (Discipline & Appeal) Rules, 1969.
- Sriram and his female friend Wafa Feroze were in the car, which hit the journalist K. M. Basheer. Both of them claimed that the latter was driving the car. Although, the Volkswagen car belonged to Wafa.
- On 6 August 2019, Sriram was granted bail after the prosecution failed to produce enough scientific evidence before the court that Sriram was in an inebriated condition and the delay in the part of registering the case against him, reportedly helped him. However, his bail was called off later. Reportedly, on 22 August 2019, the fingerprints bureau officials detected Sriram’s fingerprints on driver’s side of the car involved in the accident.
- Jayasurya made a cameo appearance in Gireesh Nair’s “Puzhikkadakan (2019).” Reportedly, Jayasurya’s character in the film is based on Sriram Venkitaraman.
- He likes dogs and has a pet dog named Ray.