Soniya Mehra is an Emirati actress, video jockey, and yoga instructor. She is the daughter of Indian actor Vinod Mehra.
Soniya Mehra was born on Saturday, 2 December 1989 (age 33 years; as of 2022) in Mumbai. Her zodiac sign is Sagittarius. When Soniya was 2 years old, her father passed away. Later, Soniya and her family moved to Mombasa, Kenya, where Soniya’s maternal grandparents raised her and Rohan (Soniya’s younger brother). She moved to Mumbai from Kenya when she was seventeen years old and joined a three-month acting study at Anupam Kher‘s acting school, “Actor Prepares.” India Today She attended the Mombasa Academy in Mombasa, Kenya, and completed her education in London. She began her acting training at the age of 9 while studying at The London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts and earned the gold medal with an Honours during the acting examinations.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx.): 55 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Figure Measurements (approx.): 32-28-32
- On the back of the arm: The Unalome
- On left arm and right thigh: The word ‘Breathe’ and a lotus flower (respectively)
- On left arm: Sunburst/ Light Rays
- On right arm: A Hamsa hand
- On the right arm: Butterfly, feather, arrow, and moon
- On the left wrist: Arrows and leaves
- On the back of her neck: Dreamcatcher
- On her left waist: Fairies (Note: She had a tattoo of a pixie fairy inked on her waist which she got removed later and got a new tattoo engraved at the same spot).
- On right foot: Flowers
She belongs to a Khatri family.
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Vinod Mehra (13 February 1945 – 30 October 1990), was a renowned Bollywood actor. In 1988, Vinod got married to Kiran Mehra. Together they raised two children (daughter Soniya Mehra and son Rohan Mehra) in a 2-year partnership that lasted until Vinod’s death on 30 October 1990 after he suffered from a heart attack. Soniya’s brother, Rohan Mehra, is an actor.
Soniya Mehra and Kunal Singh, a broker in the luxury real estate business, made their relationship public through an Instagram post in which they mentioned that they have been dating each other since 2012. In 2019, she got engaged to Kunal Singh. In an interview, on being asked when the two would tie the knot, Soniya said,
I believe in the institution of marriage. It will be taking our relationship to another level. But personally I don’t believe that two people who truly love each other need to necessarily marry. Marriage is a very small part of love. It is not necessary that a man and woman who have been married to each other for 7 years are in love more than Kunal and I who still haven’t tied the nuptial knot.”
In 2000, she made her acting debut with the Tamil film Karuvelam Pookkal, directed by Poomani. In this film, she played the role of Dhanalakshmi. In 2007, she made her Bollywood debut with the film Victoria No. 203 in which she played the role of Sara. In this film, she shared the screen with actors Anupam Kher and Johnny Lever. Soniya took a break from acting for three years after the release of this film.
In 2009, she played the role of Priya S. Shankar in the film Shadow, directed by Rohit Nayyar. In 2012, she appeared as Anusha in the film Ek Main Aur Ek Tu, starring Kareena Kapoor and Imran Khan. In 2014, Soniya played the role of Tanya in the horror-thriller film Ragini MMS 2.
Mehra also worked as a VJ on MTV India and has participated in various programmes broadcast by MTV (India) including MTV Grind, MTV News, and MTV Style Check. Apart from acting, Soniya worked as a Yoga instructor in Dubai.
Soniya leans towards spirituality and frequently engages in Reiki treatment and other related activities. In November 2010, Soniya got verified in practising Reiki, which is a healing practice that she believes changed her life, perception, and way of living. Soniya is certified in Reiki 1 & 2, Crystal Healing Therapy 1&2, Tibetan Bowl Sound Healing 1&2, and Breathwork Facilitator. She is trained in Guided Meditation & is an avid Essential Oils enthusiast. In 2011, she completed a 200-hour RYT Hatha and Vinyasa Flow in Goa, India. In November 2011, she started working as a therapist and life coach at Reiki & Crystal & Sound Healing at Shivashakti Flow Yoga. In June 2015, she completed an advanced course in Reiki Healing. She received a 100-hour Blissology RYT Yoga certificate from Eoin Finn, founder of Blissology Yoga.
- Her full name is Soniya Vinod Mehra.
- She spent her childhood living in London and Kenya.
- When Soniya was five years old, she started doing ballet dance. She is skilled in a variety of dance styles, including jazz, hip-hop, belly dancing, and Kathak.
- Sonia’s biological mother, Kiran Mehra, is renowned actor Vinod Mehra’s third wife. Vinod Mehra previously had a brief relationship with legendary actress Rekha, however, their union was eventually broken up. Vinod later fell in love with former actress Bindiya Goswami, with whom he later wed in 1980. Their wedding was called off in 1984. In 1988, Vinod got married to Kiran Mehra; their marriage lasted for two years till Vinod Mehra passed away due to suffering from a heart attack in October 1990.
- She was less than two years old when her father, Vinod Mehra, passed away.
- Soniya likes wearing jewellery such as ear cuffs.
- She follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- Soniya suffered from mental health issues from a very young age. In an Instagram video, she shared how Yoga helped her manage her mental health issues over time.
- She is a fitness enthusiast and often shares her fitness regimen on social media; her hobbies include dancing and doing pilates & aerobics.
- Soniya is a pet lover and has a dog named Buzz Lightyear.
- She consumes alcoholic beverages occasionally.
- In 2021, Soniya was featured in a magazine called Friday Lite.