Sanjiv Kapoor is a veteran Indian travel industry official. He was appointed as the new CEO of Jet Airways on 4 March 2022, and prior to this, he served as the president of the Oberoi Hotels in New Delhi.
Sanjiv Kapoor was born in Kolkata, West Bengal. He completed his school education from La Martiniere, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. In 1990, he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Computer Science from Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire. In 1996, Sanjiv Kapoor earned a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree in Strategic Management from The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania. Sanjiv Kapoor’s LinkedIn Account
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Salt and Pepper
Parents & Siblings
The names of his parents are not known. Sanjiv Kapoor has a sister.
Wife & Children
Sanjiv Kapoor got married to Upasna Kapoor on 19 February 1992. The couple has two children, a son, and a daughter. The name of his daughter is Joya Kapoor, and his son’s name is Shiv Kapoor.
Senior Product Line Manager and at
I am happy to have Sanjiv join our team… I am certain he will be able to lead Jet Airways and make it become the most preferred full-service carrier of India. Sanjiv is a seasoned aviation professional.… I always believe in investing in human capital and by having Sanjiv as the CEO and Vipula as the CFO, I am certain Jet Airways will reclaim its lost glory and surpass everyone’s expectation.”
In the same media conversation, Sanjiv Kapoor stated that his primary focus would be to make Jet Airways the most preferred and customer-oriented airline. He said,
Working together with a very strong team of experienced aviation professionals that is being put together by the Jalan-Kalrock Consortium, I look forward to leading the charge in rebuilding Jet Airways into the most preferred customer-oriented airline once again, a people-focused airline for the digital age.”
Sanjiv Kapoor continued saying that Jet Airways would fly high in the skies again as it still had large loyal customers. He said,
I am looking forward to getting back to aviation. Even though Jet Airways has been out of operation for three years, it still has a large fan base of loyal customers who miss it every day and can’t wait for it to take to the skies again.”
- Sanjiv Kapoor often shares his pictures and videos on various social media platforms. Over 43k people follow his Twitter handle. Sanjiv Kapoor shared memory in one of his social media posts that he got married to his wife, Upasna Kapoor, in front of the Qutub Minar grounds when its tower was lightened up in the background. In 1992, Sanjiv Kapoor got married to married Upasana Kapoor after being in a relationship for four years.
- According to some media sources, the operations of Jet Airways stopped on 17 April 2019. Its new promoter, Jalan-Kalrock Consortium, re-launched its operations process in the first quarter of 2022, and that was the reason that Jet Airways made various new appointments at the beginning of 2022, and the appointment of Sanjiv Kapoor as the CEO of Jet Airways was a part of its re-launching process.
- In the aviation industry, Sanjiv Kapoor is regarded as an expert. Various industry events and college campuses often invite Sanjiv Kapoor as a speaker and panellist. Sanjiv Kapoor has assisted the Government of India in drafting many policies related to the aviation industry.
- According to Sanjiv Kapoor, he shares a love affair and deep bond with the aviation industry. Soon after his appointment as the CEO of Jet Airways, in March 2022, Sanjiv Kapoor tweeted a thanking note to The Oberoi Group. He wrote,
This article below captures my love affair with aviation, and why I came back to it after a fantastic stint with the wonderful folks at The Oberoi Group, from whom I learnt a lot. They are truly a legendary Indian brand and success story. Thank you.”
- Sanjiv Kapoor enjoys listening to music, playing cricket, aviation, travelling to distant locations, and photography in his leisure time. Since childhood, he was an avid book reader.