Roopa Ganguly is an Indian politician, former actress, and playback singer. She is best known for playing the role of ‘Draupadi’ in the Indian epic television series “Mahabharat” (1988).
Roopa Ganguly was born on Friday, 25 November 1966 (age 53 years; as in 2019) in Kalyani, Kolkata. Her zodiac sign is Sagittarius. She did her schooling from Kolkata’s Beltala Girls’ High School and went to Jogamaya Devi College to pursue Bachelor of Science. After completing her graduation, Roopa did a few Bengali TV series.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
Roopa Ganguly belongs to a Hindu Family. She is the daughter of Samarendra Lal Ganguly and Juthika Ganguly. Not much is known about her siblings.
Husband & Children
Roopa got married to Dhrubo Mukerjee (Mechanical Engineer) in 1992. The couple has a son named Akash Mukherjee, who was born in 1997. Ganguly had a very tough domestic life as Dhrubo could not take the fame she had. Mukerjee tried to destroy her career several times. The couple got divorced in 2006.
Roopa was also in a live-in relationship with the playback singer, Dibyendu, who is 13 years younger to Roopa. The couple lived in Roopa’s Mumbai flat. Their relationship ended roughly after a few months of companionship.
Acting & Singing Career
Roopa started her acting career by doing a few Bengali TV serials. In 1986, she gained recognition after appearing in the TV series “Muktabandha.” She made her film debut in 1988 with Prabhat Roy’s Bengali film “Prateek.” In the same year, she appeared in B. R. Chopra’s “Mahabharat.” She earned wide popularity by playing the role of ‘Draupadi’ in the TV series.
Ganguly has worked in TV serials like “Karam Apna Apna,” “Love Story,” “Vakt Batyega Kaun Apna Kaun Paraya,” “Kasturi,” and “Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo.”
Roopa Ganguly entered politics in 2015 by joining the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). In 2016 West Bengal Legislative Assembly Elections, Ganguly lost from Howrah North to Trinamool Congress candidate, Laxmi Ratan Shukla. In the same year, she was nominated to the Rajya Sabha in place of the cricketer, Navjot Singh Sidhu, who had resigned from the party.
- In February 2017, Roopa Ganguly and BJP’s then National Secretary, Kailash Vijayvargiya were summoned by the the Crime Investigation Department for interrogation the high-profile Jalpaiguri child trafficking case, after the key accused in the child trafficking racket alleged Ganguly of her involvement in the case.
- Roopa Ganguly landed into a controversy for making controversial remarks about the safety of women in West Bengal. While attacking the Mamta Banerjee government, Ganguly said, “Send their (Trinamool workers) wives and daughters to Bengal… If they are able to survive there for 15 days without getting raped, then tell me.” This sparkled outrage amongst West Bengal’s government and an FIR was filed against her.
- Ganguly again stirred a controversy for unraveling many shocking aspects of her personal life when she appeared in the popular TV show “Sach Ka Saamna.” Roopa confessed of having love affairs outside her marriage and also confessed of being asked for sexual favours in return of roles in Bollywood. She even went on to reveal that she had once got a call on her landline, offering her Rs. 50,000 to spend a night with her.
- Smita Patil Memorial Award for Best Actress for the TV series “Mahabharat” (1989)
- Kalakar Award for Best Actress for the TV show “Mukta Bandha” (1993)
- Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Award for Best Supporting Actress for the film “Ujan” (1996)
- Kalakar Award for Best Actress for the film “Yugant” (1998)
- Kalakar Award for Best Actress for the television series “Ingeet” (2002)
- Dhaka International Film Festival Award for Best Actress for the film “Krantikaal” (2006)
- Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Award for Best Supporting Actress for the film “Antarmahal” (2006)
- National Film Award for Best Female Playback Singer for the film “Abosheshey” (2011)
- Her hobbies include reading novels and listening to music.
- Apparently, Ganguly attempted suicide thrice but survived everytime. She disclosed in an interview that she left her career for her marriage, moved to Kolkata, became a domesticated housewife, was denied for daily expenses and as a final resort, attempted suicide.
- In 2009, she appeared on the show “Hello Bolchi Friends” on Friends FM.
- Reportedly, in May 2016, Roopa’s car was attacked by the Trinamool Party workers in Diamond Harbour area of the South 24 Parganas district during the West Bengal Legislative Assembly Elections.
- Apart from being an actor and politician, Roopa is also a trained Rabindra Sangeet Voacalist and a classical dancer.
- She is widely known for her versatility and accent adaptation.
- Roopa is one of the Board Members of the Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan.