Ricardo Chavira is an American actor who is known for his works in the TV series Desperate Housewives (2004–2012) and Selena: The Series (2020).
Ricardo Antonio Chavira was born on Wednesday, September 1, 1971 (age 49 years; as of 2020), in Austin, Texas, US. His zodiac sign is Virgo. He grew up in San Antonio, Texas.
He did his schooling at Robert E. Lee High School, San Antonio. He attained his Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of the Incarnate Word, San Antonio, and did his Master of Fine Arts in Acting from the University of California, San Diego in 2000. He moved to Los Angeles shortly thereafter to pursue a career in acting.
HeightIMDb: 6’ 1”
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Hazel
Family & Ethnicity
He is of Mexican descent. San Antonio Current
Parents & Siblings
Ricardo Chavira’s father, Juan Antonio Chavira, is a Bexar County Judge. His mother’s name is Elizabeth Ries Chavira.
Wife & Children
He got married to Marcea Dietzel in 2007.
The couple has a daughter named Belen Elysabeth Chavira and a son named Tomas Antonio Chavira.
He began his career by starring in the Spanish-language Mexican shorts ‘Así sucede en los pueblos’ (1987) and ‘De Vaqueros, aventuras y mas cosas’ (9187). He has also appeared in the short films ‘Boris’ (2002) and ‘Birth of a Killer’ (2016). He made his big-screen debut with the American film ‘Barstow 2008’ (2001) as ‘Guaco.’
He has also acted in the films: The Alamo (2005), Days of Wrath (2008), Pirahna 3D (2010), Being Charlie (2015), Narco Soldiers (2019), and Cosmic Radio (2021).
In 2001, he made his television debut with the American series ‘NYPD Blue’ (2001) as ‘Kenny Sotomayor.’ In 2004, Chavira was cast as ‘Carlos Solis’ (the main character) in the ABC comedy-drama series ‘Desperate Housewives.’
The series was a breakthrough hit for ABC receiving wide coverage. He has also acted in the TV series: Welcome to the Family (2013), Telenovela (2016), Scandal (2016), Santa Clarita Diet (2017), and Selena: The Series (2020).
In addition to films and television, Ricardo Chavira has also worked in the theatre production of the play ‘Tracers’ at the Odyssey Theatre in Los Angeles, and co-production of the play ‘Living Out.’ He played the role of ‘Stanley Kowalski’ in the Guthrie Theater’s production of Tennessee Williams’ play ‘A Streetcar Named Desire’ (2010) in Minneapolis. He also had voiced the character called ‘Alejandro Borges’ in the film ‘Dead Space: Aftermath’ and ‘John Carver’ in the video game ‘Dead Space 3.’
Awards & Achievements
- Listed on the “50 Most Beautiful” list in People en Español in 2005
- Named one of “TV’s Sexiest Men” by TV Guide in 2006
- Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series for ‘Desperate Housewives’ in 2005 and 2006
- In October 2019, when his former Desperate Housewives castmate Felicity Huffman received a light (2-week imprisonment) sentence for her involvement in the 2019 college admissions bribery scandal, he called out and said, TV Line
White Privilege. And I saw eight years worth of it, so I know what I’m talking about. Accountability and responsibility don’t mean [s–t] to these people. I saw eight years worth of it working on Housewives. I’ve seen a lifetime of it being a halfbreed, and I’ve struggled with the intricacies of it on a daily basis with all the cultural bias I’ve received on both ends. But whatever. Slap on the wrist. Sorry, but this is [s–t]”
- In May 2011, he was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence. In the morning, he was stopped by police in Los Angeles at a routine checkpoint, where an officer smelled alcohol on his breath. He then took part in a field sobriety test, which he did not complete. After he refused to breathe and blood test, he was arrested and was held on $25,000 bail. Daily Mail
- Food: Bouillabaisse, Oysters Rockefeller, Gumbo, Tacos
- Basketball Team: San Antonio Spurs
- Actor: Omar Sharif
- Singer: Bob Marley
- Basketball Player: Manu Ginóbili
- Politician: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- His grandfather was a migrant farmworker.
- According to him, he is left-handed.
- In 2005, he was the guest speaker at Earl Warren College and gave his commencement speech on ‘The Other Side of Despair.’
- He is good friends with Eva Longoria, an American actress, producer, director, activist, and businesswoman.
- He is an avid dog lover and has three mastiffs; one of them is known as ‘Mona.’
- His mother, Elizabeth, suffered and died of breast and ovarian cancer due to which he supports breast cancer research. He is also San Antonio’s honorary spokesman for the nonprofit organization ‘Susan G. Komen for the Cure’ and also served as the national team captain for the ‘Race for the Cure’ campaign by the charity in Washington, D.C. Ricardo and James Denton were the 2005 spokespeople for the Lee National Denim Day breast cancer fundraiser.
- He has many tattoos on his arms; there is ‘resolve’ written on his right wrist; there is ‘mischief’ written on his left wrist; there are other tattoos on his left and right forearm.
- He is politically inclined to the left according to his Instagram bio and supports the Democratic Party.
References [ + ]