Renuka Israni is an Indian who works mainly in the Hindi Film and Television Industry. She is best known for playing the role of ‘Gandhari’ in the Indian epic television series “Mahabharat” (1988).
Renuka Israni was born on Tuesday, 8 November 1966 (age 53 years; as in 2019) in Jaipur, Rajasthan. Her zodiac sign is Scorpio. She did her graduation from Jaipur’s Maharani College. In her teenage, she aspired to become a doctor. When Renuka was 15 years old, an astrologer predicted that she would earn big name in creative field. After completing her graduation, Renuka moved to Delhi and got herself enrolled in the National School of Drama to learn acting. While she was in NSD (National School of Drama), she bagged a role in the TV serial “Hum Log.”
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Family & Caste
Renuka Israni belongs to a Sindhi Family. Not much is known about her parents and siblings. She is unmarried.
Renuka Israni started her acting career in 1984 by playing the role of ‘Usha Rani’ in Doordarshan’s TV serial “Hum Log.”
Subsequently, she played the role of ‘Gandhari’ in the TV series “Mahabharat” (1988) and earned huge popularity.
Renuka made her film debut in 1993 with the film “Meera Ke Girdhar.” In the same year, she appeared in the films “Karamati Coat” and “Teri Payal Mere Geet.”
Thereafter, she featured in films like Jooth Bole Kauwa Kaate” and “Rishtey.” In 2011, she played the role of ‘Shipra’ in Sony TV’s serial “Bade Achhe Lagte Hain.”
- Her hobbies include travelling, doing poetry, and listening to music.
- Renuka has worked in more than 70-80 TV serials and 10-15 films during her acting career.
- In addition to being an actress, Renuka is also a poet and a writer.
- She is a follower of Buddhism.
- Israni has remained an all-rounder gold medalist in her college days.
- In 1988, Renuka played the role of Puneet Issar’s (Duryodhan) mother (Gandhari) in the TV series Mahabharat. Intrestingly, Renuka is 7 years younger to Puneet Issar in the real life.
- Renuka took a break from acting after playing the role of ‘Shipra’ in the TV serial “Bade Achhe Lagte Hain.” She shared in an interview, that she took a break from acting to look after her aged parents.
- During an interview, Renuka shared that she had once played the role of ‘Gandhari’ even before she bagged the role in B. R. Chopra’s “Mahabharat.” She shared,
I played ‘Andhayug’ in Manipuri style, in which my character was of Gandhari. That is why I knew about this character deeply.”