Rahul Mishra was born on Wednesday, 7 November 1979 (age 43 years; as of 2022) in Kanpur, India. He grew up in a village near Kanpur called Malhausi, where he lived with his grandparents. Vogue After his schooling, Rahul attained a graduation degree in physics from Kanpur University followed by a master’s degree in appeal design from the National Institute of Design (NID) in Ahmedabad, where he was honored with the Best Student Designer of the Year in 2005. In 2009, he obtained a scholarship from Istituto Marangoni, Milan, Italy, and became the first non-European designer to win the scholarship.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Dark Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
There is not much information about his parents and siblings.
Wife & Children
Rahul is married to Divya, who was his collegemate at NID. The couple has a daughter named Aarna.
Rahul Mishra and Divya dated each other while pursuing a master’s degree at NID. Later, the couple announced their marriage.
Rahul Mishra started his career as a fashion designer in 2006. He arrived with his first collection at Lakme Fashion Week in 2006, comprising of off-white cotton fabric with golden borders of Kerala. Initially, in 2009, he developed reversible outfits that combined Banarasi fabric made by traditional craftsmen with Kerala mundu on one side.
Rahul has displayed his clothing lines over several prominent fashion weeks all over the world including London, Dubai, Australia, and Paris. He is known for being the first Indian designer to be featured on Rent the Runway, an online rental boutique. Rahul is widely known for putting together traditional Indian fabrics along with handmade artisanship to his work. In 2014, he was announced to be the winner of the International Woolmark Prize Competition in Milan. Mishra’s winning collection ‘The Lotus Effect’ highlighted progressive graphic hand embroidery using Chanderi fabric with Merino wool yarn embedded with zardozi embroidery on jackets, dresses, and pants. The graphic patterns evolved around the hexagon shapes and Lotus motifs and were determined by the concept of monochromatic work of Dutch artist Maurits Cornelis Escher.
- Rahul Mishra won the International Woolmark Prize in 2014.
- In 2008, MTV India honored him with the MTV Youth Icon of the Year award.
- Food: Home-cooked food
- Place: Kalakhet, Uttarakhand
- His designs are well appreciated among Hollywood celebrities and fashionistas as they were spotted wearing his designs for red carpet events and public appearances. The Times of India
- Rahul Mishra often incorporates natural elements like flowers and butterflies in his designs. In an interview, he talked about this and said,
- Mishra was once featured by ELLE magazine on its Power List of 25 most influencing Indians.
- In 2023, he became the first Indian designer to be invited to showcase his collection named “Cosmo” at the Paris Haute Couture Week. He created a 3D underwater city in one of his designs and said,