Neerja Birla is an Indian philanthropist and wife of Kumar Mangalam Birla, chairman of the Aditya Birla Group. She works as an educationist and mental health activist in India.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Her father’s name is Shambhukumar Kasliwal.
Her mother’s name is not known.
Husband & Children
Neerja Birla is married to Kumar Mangalam Birla.
The couple has three children named Ananya Birla, Aryaman Birla, and Advaitesha Birla.
A movement that focuses on changing the attitude towards mental health was founded by Neerja Birla. This moved was named Mpower that focuses on improving mental health, alleviate the stigma, and provide quality care to individuals from all sections of Indian society. In a conversation with India Education Diary, she expressed her views on her own journey into mental well being. She narrated,
Mental health is stigmatized in our society. It leads to a loss of expression as one cannot talk freely about their mental health concerns. Meditation and helping others heal through my work have in turn helped me as well. It also allowed me to pursue my own spiritual journey of healing. I am happy that over the last five years, there is a growing awareness among people regarding mental health issues.”
She is an educator and the chairperson of The Aditya Birla World Academy, an educational institution in India. She is also the chairman of the Aditya Birla Integrated School. This school provides a personalised and holistic learning environment to intellectually disabled children. The Aditya Birla Education Academy is also headed by Neerja. This educational academy focuses on the growth and development of brilliant and dedicated educators to boost their ambitions and career growth. She is the board member of the Pratham and Make-a-Wish Foundation. She is also actively involved with a non-profit organisation named Muktangan, Save the Children and Seva Sadan.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- Neerja was honoured with the Icon of Excellence Award by FICCI-FLO–Sambhavaa and Woman of Excellence Award by FICCI’s Ladies Wing for her dedicated and influential work for the Indian society.
- In 2017, she earned the Hall of Frame award by Hello Magazine.
- In December 2017, she was honoured by New Indian Express with the DEVI award.
- In her leisure time, she is an outdoor sports enthusiast. Neerja is an avid reader and loves to listen to music. She calls herself a traveller.
- In an interview with Money Control media, Neerja Birla was asked if she was a morning person. She then replied,
I’m an early riser and very much a morning person. I start my day with pranayama and meditation, going into my exercises.”
In the same interview, she was asked about her breakfast routine. Neerja Birla then answered,
I am not a breakfast person. I follow intermittent fasting, therefore my first meal is close to lunch.”
She further added the morning tunes she liked to listen to. She added,
Listening to the Hanuman Chalisa and Shivohum is a ritual that sets the tone for me. Very soothing and calming. I love listening to different renditions.”
- Neerja Birla is a public speaker. She is often invited by several public motivational and speaking programs like TEDx and News Channel conferences.
- Neerja Birla is an animal lover. She often posts pictures of her pet dog on her social media account.
- A teenage picture of Neerja is shared by her on her social media account.