Nallu Indrasena Reddy is an Indian social activist, politician, and former member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). He has served as a Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) in Andhra Pradesh thrice. He hit the headlines in October 2023 after he was appointed by the Indian government as the 20th Governor of Tripura.
Nallu Indrasena Reddy was born on Thursday, 1 January 1953 (age 70 years; as of 2023) in Ganugabanda village, Suryapet District, Madras State (now in Telangana), India. His zodiac sign is Capricorn. He studied at the Government Primary School in Pasnoor, Andhra Pradesh (now in Telangana) from class 1 to 5. Thereafter, he enrolled at the Keshav Memorial High School in Narayanguda, Hyderabad, where he completed his schooling in the science stream. He earned a bachelor’s degree in science in 1972 at the Government City College in Hyderabad. In 1974, he earned a master’s degree in science in mathematics at Osmania University in Hyderabad. In 1975, he earned a master’s degree in philosophy at Kakatiya University in Warangal, Telangana. 2009 Lok Sabha Elections Affidavit – Nallu Indrasena Reddy
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black (dyed; semi-bald)
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Nallu Indrasena Reddy belongs to a Telugu-speaking Hindu family in Telangana.
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Nallu Ram Reddy. His mother’s name is Nallu Hanumayamma. She died at the age of 90 due to an age-related illness in May 2015.
Wife & Children
His wife, Renuka, is a businesswoman.
He follows Hinduism.
Reddy resides at H.No.16-11-19/9, Malakpet, Hyderabad-36, Telangana.
RSS & ABVP
While in school, Nallu joined the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS). There, he worked for some years as a pracharak. In 1968, Nallu became involved in student politics by becoming a member of the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP). He went on to become state president of the ABVP. He remained a member of the organisation till 1969. In 1977, he joined the Jayaprakash Narayan movement and took part in several protests organised during the movement in different parts of the country. In an interview, he talked about the beginning of his political career and said,
I was in ABVP from 1968, 69 and before that I was in RSS as a student. After the imposition of emergency in 1975, I was arrested under the Mesa and went to jail. I became a participant in the movement started by Loknaik Jayaprakash in 1977. I acted as the state president of the student wing of the Janata Party.”
He also revealed that he was imprisoned for one year under the Maintenance of Internal Security Act (MISA) during Prime Minister Indira Gandhi’s tenure during the emergency in 1975. He has also served as the national secretary of the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM).
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
Nallu Indrasena Reddy became a member of the BJP in 1980. He initially held the post of activist (karyakrta) in the party. However, he began getting appointments after he helped the party establish a stronghold in the southern states of India. In 2003, he became the President of the BJP in Andhra Pradesh; he held the post till 2007. He took over as the national secretary of the party in 2014.
The BJP later sent a special invitation to him to join the party’s national committee. He has also served as the national vice president of the party.
Nallu Indrasena Reddy was elected as a member of the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly for the first time in 1983. He contested the elections on the BJP’s ticket from the Malakpet constituency. He went on to contest and win the state assembly from the Malakpet constituency in 1985 as well as in 1999. In the 1985 elections, he secured a victory over his nearest rival, Chief Minister Nadendla Bhaskara Rao, by a margin of 17,791 votes. After winning the 1999 elections, he was appointed as the leader of the legislative assembly by the BJP. In 2004, he contested the Lok Sabha elections from the Nalgonda constituency; however, he was defeated by a Communist Party of India (CPI) candidate named Suravaram Sudhakar Reddy by a margin of 56,151 votes. He was defeated by the Indian National Congress (INC) candidate Sarvey Sathyanarayana in the Malkajgiri constituency in the 2009 general elections. He lost the 2014 Lok Sabha elections to the Bharat Rashtra Samithi (earlier known as Telangana Rashtra Samithi) candidate Boora Narsaiah Goud in the Bhongir constituency. He left contesting elections after the defeat in 2014.
On 18 October 2023, the Government of India released a notification in which it announced his name as the Governor of Tripura.
However, his appointment did not go uncontested. The Telangana Pradesh Congress Committee (TPCC) wrote a letter to the Election Commission of India (ECI) in which it alleged that the BJP had violated the Model Code of Conduct (MCC), which was in force in Telangana due to the election in November 2023. The letter written by the vice president of the TPCC, G. Niranjan, read,
We were astonished to see the following communication, from the office of the President of India, which is against the MCC as the election schedule has been announced by the ECI for the elections in five states including Telangana.”
Nallu, however, gave a statement criticising the INC. In an interview, he talked about it and said,
I was appointed as Governor of Tripura where there are no elections, and I don’t understand why the Congress is making it an issue. It’s a Constitutional post.”
Honoured to have welcomed newly-appointed Hon'ble Governor of Tripura Shri Indrasena Reddy Nallu Ji at Maharaja Bir Bikram Airport, Agartala today. pic.twitter.com/YB0okzYFuI
— Prof.(Dr.) Manik Saha (@DrManikSaha2) October 25, 2023
- Toyota Innova
- Light Commercial Vehicle made by Mahindra & Mahindra
As the Governor of Tripura, Nallu Indrasena Reddy drew a salary of Rs. 3.5 lacs + other allowances. The given estimates are according to a 2022 report published by the Government of India. Jagran Josh
Assets & Properties
- Cash: Rs. 75,000
- Bank Deposits: Rs. 2,67,337
- Bonds, Debentures, and Shares in companies: Rs. 3,61,840
- Personal loans/advance given: Rs. 2,00,000
- Motor Vehicles: Rs. 26,50,000
- Jewellery: Rs. 7,50,000
- Agricultural Land: Rs. 8,00,000
- Commercial Buildings: Rs. 10,00,000
- Non-Agricultural Land: Rs. 10,00,000
- His name is also spelt as Nallu Indra Sena Reddy and Indra Sena Reddy Nallu.
- When he was in the ABVP, he was violently attacked by a member of the Radical Students Union (RSU), a student union that functioned under the CPI-M. The member stabbed him in the stomach; however, Nallu survived the attack.
- Reportedly, he advocated for the creation of the separate state of Telangana from Andhra Pradesh. According to sources, Rajnath Singh talked about the BJP backing the demand for the formation of Telangana in 2005 after Reddy spoke to him about the issue.
- Reddy, in an interview, said that after winning the state elections in 1985, the first demand he raised in the legislative assembly was for the MLAs to declare their assets and properties to the public. He talked about it and said,
After winning in 1985, the first question I put in the House on the first day after moving into the new Assembly building was to ask the ministers to take steps to declare their assets to the public.”
- According to sources, Nallu Indrasena Reddy had previously been offered the post of governor but had declined.
- In 2002, while returning from a political rally, Nallu Indrasena Reddy’s car was attacked by a group of unidentified people. After the attack, the BJP claimed that the attack was perpetrated by the Lashkar-e-Taeba, backed by Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI). Indrasena later accused the police of adopting “usual diversionary tactics” by taking the matter lightly with the intention of dismissing the attack.