Matthias Schweighöfer is a German actor, voice actor, singer, music composer, film director, and producer. He is known for his work in the German films The Red Baron (2008), The Manny (2015), and Hot Dog (2018), and American films Valkyrie (2008) and Army of the Dead (2021).
Matthias Schweighöfer was born on Wednesday, March 11, 1981 (age 40 years; as of 2021), in Anklam town in the Western Pomerania, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany. His zodiac sign is Pisces. In 1984, when he was three years old, his parents separated, and he moved with his mother to Frankfurt and later to Chemnitz. At the same time, he lived on weekends with his father in Berlin. He did his schooling at Dr.-Wilhelm-André Gymnasium, a gymnasium school in Chemnitz, Germany. He attended Ernst Busch Academy of Dramatic Arts, Berlin, but dropped out from the art school a year after. Der Tagesspiegel
Eye Color: Blue
Hair Colour: Blonde
Family & Ethnicity
Parents & Siblings
His mother, Gitta Schweighöfer, and his father, Michael Schweighöfer, are both actors. He is the only child of his parents.
Relationships, Wife & Children
In 2004, he began dating the German film writer and director Angelika Ani Schromm, and in 2012, they got separated. In the summer of 2013, Matthias and Ani got back together. The couple has a daughter named Greta (born in 2009) and a son named Valentin (born in 2014). In January 2019, Matthias announced that he and Ani were separating.
Shortly after that, he announced that he was dating the Costa Rican actress Ruby O. Fee.
His grandfather, Willy Schweighöfer, and his uncles, Joachim Schweighöfer and Götz Schweighöfer, were all actors.
In 1994, he made his acting debut with the German TV series ‘Ärzte’ in the episode ‘Dr. Vogt – Freundschaften’ in an uncredited role.
He appeared in minor roles in many German TV series such as Dr. Stefan Frank – Der Arzt, dem die Frauen vertrauen (1999), Siska (1998-1999), Polizeiruf 110 (2001), and Tatort (2001-10). In 2017, he bagged his first lead role in the German TV series ‘You Are Wanted’ as ‘Lukas Franke.’
Apart from TV series, he has also worked in German television movies; his first television movie was ‘Changing Skins’ (1997) in an uncredited role.
He played his first lead role in a TV movie was in ‘Verbotenes Verlangen – Ich liebe meinen Schüler’ (2000) as ‘Ben.’
He appeared in lead roles in German TV movies Küss mich, Frosch (2000), Babykram ist Männersache (2001), Friends of Friends (2002), The Young Schiller (2005), and Mein Leben – Marcel Reich-Ranicki (2009).
In 2000, he made his feature film debut with the German film ‘Trust Me’ as ‘Speedy.’
His first lead role in a feature film was in ‘Mein Vater, die Tunte’ (2001) as ‘Jan Quinn.’
He appeared in starring roles in the German films Soloalbum (2003), Polly Blue Eyes (2005), Rabbit Without Ears (2007), The Red Baron (2008), and The Architect (2008). His other German films in which he played starring roles are 12 Paces Without a Head (2009), Friendship! (2010), Russendisko (2012), Frau Ella (2013), The Manny (2015), and Hot Dog (2018). In 2008, he made his American film debut with ‘Valkyrie’ as ‘Lieutenant Herber.’ The film gave him international recognition and also opened the way for him to get more English-speaking roles.
In 2009, he appeared in the main role of ‘Frankie’ in the American film ‘Night Train.’
He appeared in the American films Must Love Death (2009), The Wild Life (2016), Resistance (2020), and Army of the Dead (2021).
As a Producer
In 2011, he founded Pantaleon Films, a production company in Munich with its franchises in Berlin and Cologne.
Most of his films are produced under the Pantaleon Films banner. In 2011, he made his debut as a producer with the German film ‘What a Man.’
He produced German films such as The Break Up Man (2013), The Manny (2015), The Most Beautiful Day (2016), Hot Dog (2018), Abikalypse (2019), and Takeover (2020). He made his television debut with the German TV movie ‘Jack the Ripper’ (2016).
He produced the German telefilm Rockstars zähmt man nicht (2017) and German TV series You Are Wanted (2017-18). His American debut as a producer was with ‘Resistance’ (2020).
He also produced the American film Army of the Dead: The Prequel (2021).
As a Singer & Composer
He sang soundtracks of the films & TV series like Polizeiruf 110: Destroyed Dreams (2001), Frau Ella (2013), and You Are Wanted (2017). In 2015, he released his first single ‘Fliegen,’ which was used in the film ‘The Manny’ and was placed at number 58 in the German single charts.
He released his first album ‘Lachen Weinen Tanzen’ (2017), which reached number five in German charts, number six in Austria charts, and number nineteen in Switzerland charts.
His first concert was held at Tempodrom in Berlin on February 18, 2017. In 2020, his second album ‘Hobby’ was released. The album was placed tenth in the German album charts.
Some of his other songs include Lachen Weinen Tanzen (2015), Superman und seine Frau (2018), Wenn ich dich singen hör (2018), Zeit (2020), and Lauf (2020). He made his debut as a composer with ‘You Are Wanted’ (2017) in which he composed the songs Trust, X-Ray, and Blackout.
As a Director & Writer
In 2011, he made his debut as a director and writer with the German film ‘What a Man.’ He directed the German films The Break Up Man (2013), Vaterfreuden (2014), The Manny (2015), and You Are Wanted (2017). He made his American debut as a director with the film ‘Army of the Dead: The Prequel’ (2021). He wrote the screenplay of the German films Vaterfreuden (2014) and The Manny (2015). His debut as a director in Netherland was with the film ‘Voor elkaar gemaakt’ (2017).
He appeared in the music videos of Kreuzberg (2007) by Bloc Party, Ich bereue nichts (2009) by Silbermond, Eiserner Steg (2011) by Philipp Poisel, Hurt Lovers (2013) by Blue, and Standort (2020) by MoTrip.
He did theater in the plays like Eins, Zwei, Drei (2004) and Nord (2007). He also read audiobooks such as The Lewins (2004) by Gita Lehr, Baal (2005) by Bertolt Brecht, Der Schatten des Windes (2006) by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, Schöne Verhältnisse (2007) by Edward St Aubyn, and Die Traumnovelle (2008) by Arthur Schnitzler. In 2009, he founded the fashion label ‘German Garment’ with German TV presenter Joko Winterscheidt.
In 2014, Schweighöfer became the brand ambassador of Krombacher Hell, an alcohol-brewing and beverage brand.
In May 2016, he appeared in advertising campaigns for Amazon Fire TV Stick, and later in September 2016, he advertised the stick with actress Katrin Bauerfeind.
Since 2020, he has been the brand ambassador for the Austrian furniture chain XXXLutz.
Awards & Achievements
- Günter Strack TV Award for Best Young Actor for Tatort in 2002
- New Faces Award, Germany for Best Actor for Soloalbum in 2003
- Grimme Award – Adolf Grimme Award for Fiction/Entertainment for Die Freunde der Freunde in 2003
- Baden-Baden TV Film Festival for Special prize of the jury for outstanding performance in Kalter Frühling and Baal in 2004
- Bavarian Film Award for Best Young Actor (Darstellernachwuchspreis) for Kammerflimmern in 2005
- DIVA Award for the films Actor of the Year for Ventricular Fibrillation, Schiller, and Polly Blue Eyes in 2006
- German Television Award – Promotional Award for Verbotenes Verlangen – Ich liebe meinen Schüler in 2009
- Video champion – Artist Award in 2010
- Romy Gala, Austria for Best Film (Bester Film) for Schlussmacher in 2013
- Berlin Bear (BZ Culture Prize) – Film/Director in 2013
- Lola – German Film Award – People Choice in 2013
- MUSIKEXPRESS Style Award – Gentleman of the Year in 2015
- GQ Man of the Year – Film National in 2017
- Best Actor – National for the film Das wilde Leben in 2007
- Film – National for Schlussmacher in 2013
Golden Hen Awards, Germany
- Audience Award for Acting for the film Russendisko in 2012
- Audience Award for Acting for the film Der geilste Tag in 2016
Golden Camera Award, Germany
- Best German Actor for the film Mein Leben – Marcel Reich-Ranicki in 2010
- Curt Jürgens Memorial Camera in 2003
- Most Successful Feature Film for Vaterfreuden in 2015
- Best German Film for What a Man in 2012
- Best German TV Actor for Mein Leben – Marcel Reich-Ranicki in 2010
Undine Awards, Austria
- Best Young Actor – Film (Bester jugendlicher Hauptdarsteller in einem Kinospielfilm) for Das wilde Leben in 2007
- Best Young Actor – Television Movie (Bester jugendlicher Schauspieler in einem Fernsehfilm) for Schiller in 2005
Hessian TV Award
- Best Actor (Bester Darsteller) for Tatort in 2010
- Special Jury Prize for What a Man in 2011
- Food: Pizza, Pasta
- Beverage(s): Latte macchiato, Coffee
- Alcoholic Beverage: Rosé
- Film Director(s): Zack Snyder, Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese
- Actor(s): Al Pacino, Johnny Depp
- Musician(s): Jonas David, Fayzen, Nisse
- Travel Destination(s): Miami, Los Angeles
- Clothing Brand: CAMP DAVID
- Playwright: Max Frisch
- In his spare time, he likes to write poems and listen to music while driving. He is also a sports fanatic and enjoys running and swimming whenever he has time.
- His family members call him Matthi with love. IMDb Most of his fans fondly call him Schweigi, Matze, and The Justin Timberlake of Germany. Laut Square Mile
- He was introduced to the stage at the age of three by his parents who are theater actors. His first stage appearance happened during his school days when he played the role of ‘Mackie Messer’ in his school’s production of Bertolt Brecht’s ‘The Threepenny Opera.’
- In 2009, he moved with his former girlfriend to Vierseithof (four-sided courtyard) in Nauen, Brandenburg, Germany.
- Since 2011, he has been a patron of the Ronald McDonald House Charities in Berlin. The charity works to create, find, and support programs that directly improve the health and well-being of children. In his testimonial for the charity, he wrote,
Anyone who has children of their own can imagine how much they need help when their own child becomes seriously ill. The Ronald McDonald Houses make a very important contribution: They are a temporary home for parents in the immediate vicinity of the clinic – so the relatives can be very close to their little patients. As a father, I know how important this closeness is for children in order to get well again quickly. That is why it was immediately clear to me to get involved in the Ronald McDonald Haus Berlin-Buch.”
- On January 30, 2012, his wax statue at Madame Tussauds in Berlin was unveiled. The wax statue was constructed in six months by 15 workers.
- Apart from German, he is fluent in English and French.
- He has an interest in music since childhood and can play instruments like piano, guitar, and violin.
- He suffers from aviophobia (fear of flying) due to which he never flies within Germany and chooses to drive. If he has to fly out of Germany, he talks to his therapist before boarding the plane.
- He is best friends with Andreas Nowak, the drummer for one of Germany’s most successful Rock-Pop-Act group ‘Silbermond. Andreas is also godfather to Matthias’ daughter, Greta.
- After gaining huge success, he suffered from depression and stress. After some time, he began studying the Japanese way of life and that helped him with his problems. Talking about it, he said,
I started studying the Japanese way of life because I was fed up with running. And that helped me to realize: quiet is something very beautiful. Exposing yourself to it and seeing what actually happens to you when you go into peace and solitude is very interesting.”
- He has a pet dog named bowie. Even though in an interview, he said that he was a cat person.