Deven Bhojani is an Indian actor, director, comedian, and theatre artist, who works in Indian television serials and films. He is best known for his various comic roles, playing supporting roles, and directing a comedy television series Sarabhai vs Sarabhai (2004 to 2006 on STAR One) and Sarabhai vs Sarabhai Season 2 (2017 on Disney + Hotstar). For his amazing directing skills, he won Best Director ITA Award, Best Director Indian Telly Award, and Best Director Apsara Award for the show Sarabhai vs Sarabhai.
Deven Bhojani was born on Tuesday, 25 November 1969 (age 54 years; as of 2023) born and brought up in Mumbai. He is a Sagittarius. He did his schooling at Gokalibai Punamchand Pitambar High School, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. He did his graduation in Commerce at Shri Vile Parle Kelavani Mandal’s Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai. Buddy Bits After completing his graduation, he went to the University of Southern California, Los Angeles to study film direction. Buddy Bits
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Weight (approx.): 80 kgs
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Deven Bhojani is a Gujarati.
Wife & Children
Deven Bhojani is married and has three children; two daughters and one son. His wife’s name is Jagruti Bhojani. His daughters’ names are Mahi Bhojani and Rahi Bhojani.
He belongs to the Halai Lohana caste. Buddy Bits
In 1986-87, Deven made a television debut with the show Malgudi Days which was telecasted on Doordarshan.
After that, he did several TV shows like Dekh Bhai Dekh (1993-1994), Shrimaan Shrimati (1994), Ek Mahal Ho Sapno Ka (1997), Hum Sab Ek Hain (1998-2001), Office Office (2001-2004), Khichdi (2003), and many more. He directed a few episodes of the TV show Ek Mahal Ho Sapno Ka (1997) as the original director of the show fell ill. Buddy Bits
He played the role of Dushyant in the comedy TV show Sarabhai vs Sarabhai (2004-2006) which gained immense popularity. He also worked as a creative director for the show and won several award shows for his amazing work.
Later on, he appeared in Baa Bahoo Aur Baby (2005-2010), Naya Office Office (2006), Remote Control (2009), Mrs Tendulkar (2011), Alaxmi Ka Super Parivaar (2012-2013), Bh Se Bhade (2013), and many more. He made a special appearance in the show Instant Khichdi (2005) and Badi Door Se Aaye Hai (2014).
His other shows include Gulmohar Grand (2014), Sarabhai vs Sarabhai Take 2 (2017), Namune (2018), Bhakharwadi (2019-2020), Wagle Ki Duniya – Nayi Peedhi Naye Kissey (2021), Taaza Khabar (2023), and Scoop (2023).
In 1992, he made a debut in the film industry by playing the role of Ghanshyam in the film Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar. In the film, he played the role of Aamir Khan’s best friend. He also debuted as an assistant director in the film.
Later on, he appeared in Andaz (1994), Kranti Kshetra (1994), Sarhad: The Border of Crime (1995), Kartavya (1995), Uff! Yeh Mohabbat (1996), Chalo America (1999), Yeh Lamhe Judaai Ke (2004), Khichdi: The Movie (2010), Chala Mussaddi… Office Office (2011), and Agneepath (2012).
Deven Bhojani made his OTT debut with the web series Taaza Khabar released on Disney + Hotstar on 6 January 2023.
In an interview in 2022, he shared his experience about entering into the world of the OTT platform. He said,
OTT looks like a new ray of sunshine. I was waiting for the right opportunity to take a plunge into it. The way ‘Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander’ and ‘Dekh Bhai Dekh’ initiated my career in films and television, ‘Taaza Khabar’ will get the ball rolling for my phase on OTT platforms. Honestly, I wasn’t sure if this was the right show to commence my OTT journey when I got a briefing over the phone but the first elaborated personal narration by the director himself did the trick. There wasn’t any reason for me to even think twice because it was a beautiful concept, commendable writing, nuanced characters, superb ensemble cast, confident sorted producer, and one of the biggest OTT platforms.”
Deven appeared in the Gujarati web series Yamraj Calling Season 1 and Yamraj Calling Season 2 in 2021 and 2022 respectively on ShemarooMe.
In the television industry, he debuted as a creative director for the TV show Sarabhai vs Sarabhai (2004-2006). He directed Pukaar – Call For The Hero (2014-2015) and Sumit Sambhal Lega (2015-2016).
He worked as an assistant director for the film Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander (1992). In an interview, he revealed his experience with directing the film. He said,
I learnt the ropes of ‘Direction’ during JJWS, as I had worked as an ASSISTANT DIRECTOR to Mansoor Khan while making JJWS. Independently, I started direction by directing a few episodes of ‘EK Mahal Ho Sapno Ka’, when a director fell ill and the producers had to meet the deadline. I’ve won many awards for directing ‘Sarabahi v/s Sarabhai’ and a couple of awards for creatively directing ‘Baa Bahoo Aur Baby.”
In 2017, he directed the film Commando 2: The Black Money Trail.
In 2012, he co-produced an Indian comedy TV show Bhai Bhaiya Aur Brother.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- Best Director, ITA (Indian Television Academy) Award, Sarabhai vs Sarabhai (2005)
- Best Director, The Indian Telly Award, Sarabhai vs Sarabhai (2005)
- Best Director, The Apsara Award, Sarabhai vs Sarabhai (2005)
- Favourite Naya Sadasya (Male), Star Parivaar Award, Baa Bahoo Aur Baby (2006)
- Favourite Bhai, Star Parivaar Award, Baa Bahoo Aur Baby (2008)
- Best Actor in Comic Role, Indian Television Academy Award, Baa Bahoo Aur Baby (2006)
- Best Serial – Drama, Indian Television Academy Award, Baa Bahoo Aur Baby (2007)
- Vest Actor, Indian Television Academy Award, Baa Bahoo Aur Baby (2008)
- Best Actor in Comic Role, Boroplus Gold Award, Baa Bahoo Aur Baby (2008)
- Best Actor in Comic Role, Indian Telly Award, Baa Bahoo Aur Baby (2007) (2008)
- Best Actor in Lead Role, Critics Award, The Indian Telly Award, Baa Bahoo Aur Baby (2010)
- Cricketer: Sachin Tendulkar
- Filmmaker: Vipul Shah
- TV and Film Producer(s): Jamnadas (JD) Majethia, Aatish Kapadia
- TV Actor: Paresh Ganatra
- Gujarati Cuisine(s): Undhiyu, Kachori wali Daal-dhokli
- Film: Pursuit of Happiness
- Actor(s): Aamir Khan, Ranbir Kapoor
- Cuisine: Mexican Food
- Quote: “Be Honest To Yourself”
- City: Mumbai
- Holiday Destination(s): Las Vegas, Venice
- Deven Bhojani got the household name “Gattu” for playing the role of Gopal Thakker in the TV show Baa Bahoo Aur Baby (2005-2010). His famous character of Gattu entered again into a new serial Alaxmi Ka Super Parivaar (2012-2013). On this, he said,
It is must be one of the rarest thing happened in television industry; where an iconic character of an old serial (Baa Bahoo aur Baby – Star Plus channel) entered in a new serial (Alaksmi – Life OK channel). This may start a new trend of reviving popular old characters. Honestly, initially I was a little skeptical when producers approached me, but later I thought; it would be great fun to relive mine and audiences’ favorite character. I felt really nice & loved; when I was told that it was channel’s idea to bring Gattu in Alakshmi.
- Deven has done several roles but is mostly known for his comic roles in different films and television shows. In an interview in 2022, he shared his experience of playing different roles. He said,
I feel I am a versatile actor and I have done a lot more than comedy. Yes, I have been typecast as a comedian but I have no regrets, I feel proud about it. There are very few people who can do comedy well. I can do other stuff as well. And, the scarcity of good comic actors got me all these rolesI feel I am a versatile actor and I have done a lot more than comedy. Yes, I have been typecast as a comedian but I have no regrets, I feel proud about it. There are very few people who can do comedy well. I can do other stuff as well. And, the scarcity of good comic actors got me all these roles.”
- He has won three awards for the TV show Sarabhai vs Sarabhai (2004-2006) in which he has also worked as a creative director for the show. Not only this but he won several other awards too for the show Baa Bahoo Aur Baby (2005-2010).
- In an interview, Deven revealed that his Kuldevi Maa is in Morbi, near Rajkot Saurashtra. Buddy Bits
- According to Deven Bhojani, he always wanted to become a Chartered Accountant but end up in the field of acting and direction. Buddy Bits
- Before entering the world of television and film industry, he started his acting career by playing different roles in Theatre plays. According to Deven, theatre recognized his talent and helped him to grow as an actor. In an interview, he said,
Theatre recognized my talent and helped me grow as an actor and as a person. Films gave me ‘money’ when I needed the most i.e. when I wanted to buy a new house and a car for myself. Film ‘Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander’ (JJWS) gave me recognition as an actor in the Film and TV industry. It was the trigger point of my journey in Entertainment Industry. Television gave me money, security, confidence, love, respect, awards and immense popularity.”
- In another interview, he said that to bring perfection to his role of Gattu, he used to visit nearby children’s homes to observe and understand the characters of children. Buddy BitsHe said,
Gattu is/was a very difficult character to play – Before I started shooting for BAA BAHOO AUR BABY (Gattu); for a few days, I use to go to a CHILDREN’s HOME (for Autistic children) to observe children over there. It helped me learn nuances of this character – Their gestures, postures, mannerisms, how they talk, walk, how they feel, how they relate and understand things & people,etc etc. I owe a lot to those children. While shooting, I request the whole unit to stop moving even an inch during my shot – to concentrate better. I need a few seconds of complete SILENCE before and during the shots. Sometimes, I get carried away for a couple of seconds, even after I hear a ‘CUT” from the director.”
- One of the most unforgettable life moments of Deven Bhojani is when he met with an accident and his friend’s girlfriend who was the pillion rider had almost lost her life. But with the blessings of God, she is now perfectly fine and happily married to his friend. Buddy Bits
- He hates hypocrisy, carelessness, and lies.
- Deven Bhojani said that his daughters love his character of Gattu. In an interview in 2008, he also shared his experience of visiting his daughters’ school. Hindustan Times He said,
I was recently invited to their school. When I went up on stage, the kids cheered loudly. My two little girls were so proud, they told everyone, “That’s our father!” At times when I drop them at the bus stop, other children call out to me and my daughters snap back, “He’s not Gattu, he’s our dad.”