Anupama Nadella is an Indian American woman. She is best known for being the wife of the CEO of Microsoft company Satyanarayana Nadella. Their son, Zain Nadella, was suffering from cerebral palsy since his birth and died on 28 February 2022. Zain was twenty-six years old at the time of death.
Anupama Nadella was born in 1973 (age 49 years; as of 2021) in New Delhi, India. She completed her school studies at Hyderabad Public School. Later, she attended Manipal University to pursue a bachelor’s degree in Architecture Engineering.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Her father’s name is K R Venugopal, who is a retired IAS officer.
Husband & Children
Anupama Nadella got married to Satyanarayana Nadella in 1992.
The couple has three children. Their son, Zain Nadella, died on 28 February 2022 at the age of 26. He was the eldest among the three siblings.
They have two daughters named Tara Nadella and Divya Nadella.
Anupama Nadella’s father, K R Venugopal, is a well known retired IAS officer, who worked under the ministry of Prime Minister P V Narasimha Rao. The ‘rupees 2 per kg rice’ scheme for the underprivileged and below the poverty line was introduced in India under the leadership of K R Venugopal in 2008.
Anupama Nadella is well known for her charitable donations in India. She was in news in 2020 when she donated rupees 2 crores to the women and farmers of the Anantapur district in Andhra Pradesh to provide them with the additional benefits of livelihood. This donation was made by her on the birth anniversary of her father-in-law and former IAS officer of India, B N Yugandhar. In 2020, during the Covid-19 lockdown in India, Anupama Nadella paid Rs. 2 crores to Prime Minister’s relief fund.
Anupama Nadella and her husband hold the membership in the ownership of a Major League Soccer club named ‘Seattle Sounders FC’ in America.
Zain Nadella’s Birth
Anupama Nadella noticed that during her thirty-sixth week of pregnancy, there was no movement of the child in her womb. The couple decided to meet the doctors immediately. Soon after her checkup, her cesarean section was conducted by the doctors. She gave birth to a male child, who was not crying at the time of birth. They named him Zain. Zain was born with cerebral palsy and was kept at Children’s Hospital in Seattle under intensive care and observation. Doctors stated at the time of delivering baby Zain that he suffered asphyxiation in utero, and it would cause cerebral palsy to him throughout his life. Anupama quit her career goal to take care of her special child.
- Anupama Nadella is a compassionate animal lover, and she has a pet dog named Winston. According to Anupama Nadella, a pet at home helps the children to connect with the outside world in a better way. Various renowned media houses and newspapers often publish interviews with Anupama Nadella in their editions.
- According to Anupama Nadella, the parents of a child with special needs must help and support other parents who are facing the same situations. In an interview with a media house, she said that she experienced immense emotional support from other parents after attending the programs that were specially organised for children with disabilities. She said,
Having a child with special needs is isolating. Talking about it opened several doors. This shared experience with similar families was invaluable. In accessing programs for children with disabilities I met exceptional people involved in helping others. This support system not only embraced our family but also taught us to step in to help others — sometimes just by listening.”
- Later, Anupama Nadella and her husband, Satya Nadella, established a Pediatric Neurosciences Department in the United States.
- In a conversation with a media house, Anupama stated that her son, Zain Nadella, was a very strong and resilient person. While undergoing the medical treatment, he showed great willpower and capability that inspired Anupama’s spirit to face the adversities of life. She further added that Zain was born with cerebral palsy and spastic quadriplegia and was legally blind. She explained,
Families with a child with special needs develop their own way of coping. Our journey, as traumatic as it has been for Zain, has taught my family not just how to cope but also the power of kindness. I learned the empowering art of being kind to others. And it taught me to find that kindness for myself.”
- Satyanarayana Nadella fell in love with Anupama Nadella at Hyderabad Public School. She was his junior in the school. Later, both of them joined Manipal University and graduated as engineers. The fathers of both Anupama and Satya Nadella were IAS officers of the same cadre, and both worked under the then Prime Minister of India P V Narasimha Rao.