Asmita Marwa is an Indian fashion designer, who is well-known for her sustainable fashion label. She has also been rated as one of the nine top ‘up-and-upcoming international designers’ by Vogue.
Asmita Marwa celebrates her birthday on 7 February every year (age not known), and she was born and raised in Hyderabad. Her zodiac sign is Aquarius. She attended the Vidyarayana High School in Hyderabad, and then went on to earn a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from the Nizam College, Hyderabad. I Knock Fashion
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Her mother, Anugita Abels, was an actor during her time.
Asmita has a younger sister, Deepika Mehta, who is a renowned yogini and a professional fitness expert.
Husband & Children
Asmita married Harvesh Marwaha on 13 December 1988. Her husband is a chartered accountant. The couple has a son, Karan Aryaman Marwaha, who is a film director.
Asmita lives in 8-2-603/13/3/N/B, Road No.10, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad, 500034
Asmita stepped into the fashion design industry in 1994, and initially, she styled actors in Telugu films like Santhosham, Attadu, Pokiri, Premante Idera, Arjun, Manmadhudu, and Gharshana. This gave the designer an opportunity to work with some big names from the industry and made her the first Hyderabadi designer to enter the Telugu film industry. You & I Recalling her stint in the industry, Asmita said in an interview, I Knock Fashion
They respected me and my time. I am not somebody who would waste time. For me, it is valuable and has to be spent productively. The stint in the industry was a good experience. However, after a while, I started feeling that I need to focus on my brand.”
Gradually, the self-taught designer started conducting and hosting workshops and exhibitions every 6-8 months. When she realized that her products have garnered enough popularity, Asmita launched her namesake sustainable fashion label ‘Asmita Marwa Design’ in 2003. According to Marwa, her label believes in ‘Cradle-to-Cradle’ design or regenerative design, and it primarily focuses on sustainable fashion, by recycling and upcycling garments. All the products under her label are created in-house, using ethical norms and practices. I Knock Fashion The Blenders Pride Fashion Fringe Show in 2004 featured Marwa’s creations for her label, and the designer has been associated with the brand since then. Asmita’s brand label shot to fame when she showcased her first collection of Kalamkari at the Lakme Fashion Week of 2008. Since then, the designer has been associated with the LFW, and since 2011, Mrs Marwa has also remained a part of the Fashion Week in Goa. Asmita Marwa – official website
Asmita’s Kalamkari collection made her a renowned designer in the global fashion industry – from Paris to Los Angeles, and the Asmita Marwa Design label became synonymous with Resort wear fashion. In 2016, the designer was also invited to showcase her ‘Zero Waste Luxury’ collection at the Global Sustainable Fashion Week 2016, held in Budapest, Hungary. Asmita Marwa – official website
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- Asmita received the “Trendsetter in Fashion” award at the South Indian Fashion Awards in 2018.
- In 2019, she won the “Iconic Leader of the Year (Sustainable Fashion)” award at the Iconic Achievers Awards. In the same year, she was also invited as the Guest of Honour at the Mrs Telangana competition.
- In 2021, the designer and her husband were awarded the ‘Best Dressed Couple of the Year’ at the You and I Awards 2020.
- Asmita has also featured in the Vogue magazine as ‘Promising Talent To Watch Out For.’
- Dish: Burmese Khowsuey
- Actress: Audrey Hepburn
- In her spare time, the designer loves to travel and read books.
- According to Mrs Marwa, her grandmother and mother inspired her to sketch designs and choose fashion design as her career, as while growing up she used to see them knitting, doing beautiful hand embroidery, and painting. I Knock Fashion
- In an interview, Asmita also revealed that as a child she used to play with fabrics and used to drape sarees in different ways, which further inclined her to take up fashion designing. Eat My News
- The Indian fashion designer doesn’t hold any formal qualification from a fashion school, because, apparently, she wanted to pursue a course abroad but couldn’t get a visa. Eat My News
- The Asmita Marwa Design label has made its way to the Bollywood industry with stars like Preity Zinta, Priyanka Chopra, Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh, and more, flaunting her garments. South-Indian stars including Rana Daggubati, Nagarjuna, and Mahesh Babu have also donned her clothes. Even M. F. Hussain and Angela Davis were also seen wearing her label.
- Asmita is passionate about cooking, and her personal Instagram account is proof of that, as it features her homemade dishes. Her cooking prompted the You & I magazine to feature some of Asmita’s recipes in their magazine. You & I
- The Indian designer is also an active member of the Fashion Design Council of India (FDCI).