Anoop Khanna is an Indian social worker and businessman who is known for his initiative ‘Dadi ki Rasoi,’ which provides affordable food to the poor living in Noida city of Uttar Pradesh, India.
Anoop Khanna was born on Thursday, 21 August 1958 (age 62 years; as of 2020) in Moradabad, Uttar Pradesh. His zodiac sign is Leo.
To ensure that he gets the best education, his parents sent him to Dakpathar, a town in Dehradun, Uttarakhand. He did his schooling at Asha Ram Vedic Inter College, Vikasnagar, Dehradun. In 1978, he attained Bachelor of Science from Hindu College Moradabad, affiliated to Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Rohilkhand University. Anoop Khanna
Eye Color: Black
Hair Color: Black
Family & Caste
He was born in a Hindu family and follows Hinduism. Facebook Profile – Anoop Khanna.
Parents & Siblings
His father, PN Khanna, was a freedom fighter who worked with the legendary social activists and politicians Mahatma Gandhi and Muhammad Ali Jinnah. Not much is known about his mother. He has a sister named Rita.
Wife & Children
He got married to Nirmal Khanna, a homemaker, on Wednesday, 19 October 1983.
He has a son named Bharat Khanna, who is a vessel manager at Anglo-Eastern Group. He also has a daughter named Sakshi Khanna.
After completing his graduation, he started pharmacy retail stores in Noida due to his interest in pharmacy. He runs four chemists shops in Noida and is the president of a chemists’ association in Noida.
Dadi ki Rasoi
On 21 August 2015, he founded ‘Dadi ki Rasoi,’ an initiative to provide good quality food to the common man. The initiative started off when his mother decided to give the leftover food to the needy. They started by making and giving food to 15-20 people in a day, and as of 2020, they feed 500-1000 people a day, under the initiative. The name translates to ‘Grandmother’s Kitchen’ and was given by his daughter, Sakshi, after her grandmother decided to help the needy. They charge Rs. 5 in exchange for food from a person. When asked in an interview, why they don’t give it for free, Anoop said,
The nominal fee is charged, to respect the dignity of everyone and not to treat them as beggars.”
Dadi ki Rasoi is situated at Shop no 39 Block I, Ganga Shopping Complex, Sector 29, Noida, Uttar Pradesh 201301. The initiative runs on the motto,
Roti, Kapda aur Dawai”
Later, Anoop also started the Sadbhavna Store under the initiative, where the needy can get clothes, shoes, books, and many other items for just Rs. 10.
He has also enrolled himself in ‘Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Yojna’ and opened the first ‘Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Kendra’ in Noida. The Kendra ensures that everyone should get quality medicine at an affordable price. Initially, he invested Rs 30,000 for the setup, but as words reached to public ears, he started receiving donations. When asked about how he affords to feed so many people with so little, he said,
Shopkeepers give me raw materials at a discounted price. Many residents donate special meals on special occasions like birthday, wedding anniversary and so on. Their support is immense.”
Other Social Works
In 2004, he helped the Barabanki and Purnia districts of Bihar with trucks loaded with relief materials when the state was hit with heavy floods. During the 2011 India Against Corruption protests, he extended his full support to Anna Hazare & India Against Corruption movement. He mobilized people to participate in the Anti-corruption Movement, and also sat on a fast in support of Anna for 12 days in Noida. Anoop is the president of the District Student Guardian Association in Noida and works for the betterment of the education system. He was even a part of the massive agitation that was started against the exorbitant fee hike in private schools. He even organizes mock drills to prepare children for any eventuality. In 2013, he helped the needy people in Kedarnath during the massive North India Floods. He is a part of Khel Vikas Sansthan, which has organized many sports events to promote sports in Noida.
He also promotes and encourages students in the field of sports, especially karate, badminton, and athletic games. He has also campaigned actively to encourage voting in elections.
Awards & Honours
- Certification of Appreciation from Rajnigandha Silver Pearls
- Felicitated at Rashtrapati Bhawan by President Ram Nath Kovind as part of the 150th birth anniversary celebrations of Mahatma Gandhi in 2019
- Has received a Purushartha Award
A-86, Sector 47, Noida, Uttar Pradesh
Assets & Net Worth
With movable assets worth Rs. 15,78,835 and immovable assets Rs. 39,30,000, his net worth is estimated to be Rs. 55,08,835 (as of 2012). My Neta
- He was interested in sports since his childhood and still plays sports whenever he finds time. He likes to play table tennis and has participated in many competitions from a young age. In 1975, he participated in the Table Tennis Championship; in 1975, he won Garhwal Region Championship and Dehradoon Table Tennis Championship. He was also a prominent member of the Champion Rohelkhand team in the year 1977-78.
- Apart from sports, he also used to participate in cultural activities like plays in his college days.
- He contested the 2012 Assembly Elections on the ticket of the Lok Satta Party from the Noida constituency of Uttar Pradesh.
- He is politically inclined to Aam Aadmi Party and is often seen in the rallies of AAP.
- His story has been featured by YouTubers like Technical Guru (Gaurav Chaudhry) and Varun Pruthi, media outlets like Indian Express Online and Zee News, and talk shows like Zindagi with Richa.
- In 2018, he was featured in the ‘Pearls of India’ segment of Rajnigandha Silver Pearls.
- During the COVID-19 lockdown that happened in India in 2020, he had to shut down ‘Dadi ki Rasoi,’ which concerned him about people who depended on the food from the kitchen. Therefore, he decided to make packets of dry rations and distributed them to the underprivileged in slums; he delivered ration by his car.
- In 2021, he appeared alongside Raveena Tandon and Sylvester Peter (another social activist in Delhi) in the Karamveer Special of Kaun Banega Crorepati, aired on SONY TV and hosted by Amitabh Bachchan.
References [ + ]