Tamilisai Soundararajan is an Indian politician. She is the 2nd Governor of Telangana and is the Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry.
Tamilisai Soundararajan was born on Friday, 2 June 1961 (age 62 years; as of 2023) in Kaliyakkavilai, Kanyakumari, Tamil Nadu. Her zodiac sign is Gemini. She was the school leader in Class X. She did her graduation from Ethiraj College for Women and pursued her MBBS at Madras Medical College, Chennai. Later, she did her post-graduation in obstetrics and gynaecology at Dr MGR Medical University, Chennai. She did her training in sonology and FET therapy in Canada.
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Tamilisai Soundararajan’s father Kumari Ananthan, is a former Member of Parliament and senior congress party leader in Tamil Nadu. Her mother Krishna Kumari was a homemaker. She is the eldest of the five siblings.
Husband & Children
Her husband Soundararajan Periyasamy is a nephrologist. They have 2 children, Suganathan Soundararajan, who is an assistant professor at Saveetha Medical College and Hospital and S. Poovni, who is a Doctor.
Her paternal cousin, Vijay Vasanth is an Indian politician and an actor. He is a Member of Parliament from the Kanyakumari Loksabha constituency.
Tamilisai Soundararajan’s uncle H. Vasanthakumar, was an Indian Indian businessman and politician from Tamil Nadu. He was elected as the member of parliament to the 17th Lok Sabha from Kanyakumari constituency in the 2019 Indian general election. He was also elected as a member of the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly from the Nanguneri constituency in the 2006 and 2016 elections. He passed away on 28 August 2020.
She follows Hinduism.
Door No. 4/7, Lokaiah Colony, 4th Cross Street, Saligramam,Chennai-600093
Assets & Properties
- Cash: Rs. 50,000
- Bank Deposits: Rs. 5,60,000
- Jewellery: Rs. 68,97,600
- Other (Insurance policies): Rs. 75,00,000
- Residential Buildings: Rs.50,00,000
After completing her medical studies, she did her training in Canada, Australia, and London. After her training, she started working as an assistant professor at Sri Ramachandra Medical College, Chennai.
She was raised in a political family which piqued her interest in politics. Although her father and uncle are senior Congress Leaders, she decided to be a part of the Bhartiya Janata Party. She started her political career as South Chennai District Medical Wing Secretary in 1999 and held various positions in BJP including State General Secretary Medical Wing (2001), All India Co-Convenor (Medical Wing For Southern States, 2005), State General Secretary (2007), State Vice-President (2010), and National Secretary (2013). In 2014 Tamilisai Soundararajan became the president of the Tamil Nadu BJP. On 1 September 2019, she was elected the governor of Telangana and became the 1st woman to hold the office of the state. On 9th September 2019, she took an additional charge of the Lieutenant governor of Puducherry.
She hosted a weekly programme on the Doordarshan channel for women known as Magalir Panchayat (Women’s Court) which aired for 5 years. She also conducted a programme on the Tamil channel Raj TV, which promoted public speaking skills for students and children.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- In 2018, she was awarded the International Rising Star of the Year by the multi-ethnic advisory task force, in the USA.
- She has translated many medical and political articles from English to Tamil for major Tamil dailies and weeklies.
- She is also a main translator in BJP for the speeches of its popular national leaders during their visits to Tamil Nadu. She has translated speeches for leaders including LK Advani, Jaswant Singh, and Venkaiah Naidu.
- BJP members fondly call Tamilisai Soundararajan as “Sushmaji of Tamil Nadu.”
- She works majorly for women’s upliftment and has been very vocal in support of the #MeeToo movement.
- She has a personal library with more than 5,000 Books.