Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy is an Indian politician from Andhra Pradesh. He is the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh. His father, Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy was the former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh. He is the founder of the YSR Congress. His party won the 2019 Assembly Elections of Andhra Pradesh.
Jaganmohan Reddy was born on 21 December 1972 (age 50 years; as of 2022) in the Pulivendula Village of Kadapa District, Andhra Pradesh. He did his schooling from Hyderabad Public School, Hyderabad. He then went on to pursue B.Com from Nizam College in 1990 and also got an MBA from Nizam College in 1993. He started his own business after graduating from college. Although his father was a politician, he never considered getting into politics. In 2004, he used to campaign for his father in many rallies; as being a businessman he had many connections and knew many locals.
In 2008, he founded the daily Telegu newspaper Sakshi, and soon after its success, he launched a television channel by the same name, Sakshi TV.
Height: 6′ 1″
Weight: 70 kg (approx.)
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Wife & Caste
Jaganmohan Reddy was born in a Protestant Christian family. His father, Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy was a politician from the Congress party and was also the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh. He died on 2 September 2009, when his helicopter crashed over the Nallamala forest, Andhra Pradesh. His mother, Y. S. Vijayamma is a politician, she has served as an Andhra Pradesh MLA and is also the honorary President of the YSR Congress. His sister, YS Sharmila Reddy, is a politician and a member of Jaganmohan’s party the YSR Congress. When Jaganmohan was in jail in 2012, she handled his political campaign and also managed the party with her mother. Sharmila Reddy also did a walkathon of 3000 km for the YRS Congress, she started her walkathon at Idupulapaya in Kadapa district on 18 October 2012 and ended it on 4 August 2013. She visited 14 districts of Andhra Pradesh as part of the walkathon.
Jaganmohan Reddy is married to YS Bharati, she is a politician and a member of the YSR Congress. They have two daughters, Varsha Reddy and Harsha Reddy.
Jaganmohan Reddy used to campaign for his father in 2004. He joined the Indian National Congress (INC) in 2008. He contested the 2009 Lok Sabha Elections from the Kadapa Constituency and won. After his father’s death in 2009, he started a condolence tour and travelled all over Andhra Pradesh to meet his father’s supporters. The Andhra Pradesh Congress objected to this tour but he stated that it was a personal matter, and they should not intervene. On 29 November 2010, he quit the Congress after a fallout with the Congress leadership and announced that within 45 days, he will form his party. In March 2011, he formed his party the Yuvajana Shramika Raithu Congress (YSR Congress).
In June 2012, the YSR Congress contested the by-poll Assembly Elections of Andhra Pradesh and also the by-poll of one Lok Sabha seat. They won 17 seats and in the Assembly by-polls and 1 seat of the Lok Sabha elections. In the 2014 Andhra Pradesh Assembly elections, the YSR Congress got only 67 of the 175 seats and lost the elections. Jaganmohan Reddy was elected as the Leader of the Opposition. On 6 November 2017, he started a 3000 km long padayatra (foot march). He did this march to tour all the 125 assemblies and 13 districts of Andhra Pradesh and connect to the people of Andhra Pradesh. His march took a total of 430 days and it ended on 9 January 2019. He did rallies and campaigned all over Andhra Pradesh, which gave him a huge advantage in the 2019 Assembly elections. On 23 May 2019, in the 2019 Andhra Pradesh Assembly Elections, the YSR Congress won the elections with 151 seats out of 175 and formed the government.
Jaganmohan Reddy was sworn in as the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh on 30 May 2019.
- In 2011, the former State Minister of Andhra Pradesh, P Shankar Rao filed a petition against Reddy. He blamed him of illegally acquiring money by taking advantage of his father’s position as the Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister. The petition stated that Jaganmohan Reddy had earned Rs. 43,000 Crores during his father’s tenure as the CM. The CBI filed a case against him and issued more than 11 chargesheets against him. Reddy was jailed on 27 May 2012 and removed as the Leader of Opposition. He got bail in September 2013.
- On 5 August 2017, while addressing a rally Reddy stated that even if N. Chandrababu Naidu was shot down in the middle of the road, there would be nothing wrong with it. He was criticized for this statement. TDP leader Mallela Rajshekhar filed an FIR against him, blaming him of derogatory remarks against the CM and inciting violence in an area prone to riots and communal violence.
- On 25 October 2017, while Reddy was in the Vishakhapatnam airport; waiting for his flight. An airport employee walked up to him and asked for a selfie. As the employee took the selfie, he slashed Reddy’s left hand with a knife. The employee was arrested and taken in for questioning. Reddy suffered an injury and had to be operated as the cut was quite deep. The employee was later identified as J Srinivas Rao. His motive for attacking Reddy wasn’t clear as he had no political affiliations. The police suspected that he did this just to impress some girls.
House No. 3-9-77 Pulivendla, Kadapa District, Andhra Pradesh
Jaganmohan Reddy owns a 2007 BMW X5 and 3 Mahindra Scorpio Cars (2009 Model)
Assets & Properties
Movable Assets: Rs. 339.89 Crores
Cash: Rs. 43,000
Bank Deposits: Rs. 1.45 Crores
Bonds & Shares: Rs. 50.32 Crores
Properties: Rs. 35.30 Crores
– Agricultural Land Vempalli Mandal, Kadapa District, Andhra Pradesh worth Rs. 42 Lacs
– Non-Agricultural Lands in Bakarapuram Mandal, Kadapa District, Andhra Pradesh worth Rs. 7 Crores
– Commercial Building in Banjara Hills, Hyderabad worth Rs. 14 Crores
– Residential Building in Banjara Hills, Hyderabad worth Rs. 3.19 Crores
– Residential Building in Bakarapuram Mandal, Kadapa District, Andhra Pradesh worth Rs. 8.80 Crores
Salary & Net Worth
Salary: Rs. 1,25,000 + Additional Allowances (as an MLA of the Andhra Pradesh Assembly)
Net Worth: Rs. 510 Crores (as in 2019)
- When Jaganmohan Reddy’s father died on 2 September 2009, many of his father’s followers and supporters committed suicide. Some people reportedly died just from the shock of hearing the news of his father’s death.
- Jaganmohan Reddy did a condolence tour in memory of his father’s death all across Andhra Pradesh. He met his father’s supporters and the families of people who died after his father.
- He was jailed in 2012, for a disproportionate assets case. While in jail, he learnt that the UPA Government was backing an act to divide Andhra, and form Telangana. He went on a hunger strike in jail. He protested for 125 hours before his health suffered, and he had to be admitted to the hospital.