Sukumar is an Indian director, writer, and producer who predominantly works in the Telugu industry. The movie ‘Arya’ directed by him brought him a lot of fame.
Sukumar Bandreddi IMDb was born on Sunday, 11 January 1970 (age 51 years; as of 2021) in Mattaparru, East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh. His zodiac sign is Capricorn. He did his schooling at a Zilla Parishad High School, Andhra Pradesh. He pursued a Master’s degree in mathematics.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx.): 70 kg
Hair Colour: Salt and Pepper
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest: 42 Inches, Waist: 32 Inches, Biceps: 12 Inches
Parents & Siblings
Sukumar’s father’s name is Tirupathi Naidu, who was a rice trader.
His mother’s name is Veera Veni, who was a homemaker.
Wife & Children
Sukumar got married to Thabitha Sukumar on 13 June 2009.
He has two children. His son’s name is Sukranth Bandreddi, and his daughter’s name is Sukriti Bandreddi.
Before getting married to Thabitha, both had dated each other for a long time.
Director & Writer
Sukumar started his career as a director and writer in 2004 with the Telugu film ‘Arya.’ He later directed and wrote many Telugu films that include Jagadam (2007), 100% Love (2011), 1: Nenokkadine (2014), Nannaku Prematho (2016), and Pushpa: The Rise (2021).
He debuted as a producer with the Telugu film ‘Kumari 21F’ in 2015. Some of the other Telugu films produced by him are Darsakudu (2017), 100% Kadhal (2020), and Uppena (2021).
- Best Screenplay Writer for the movie ‘Arya’ in 2005 (Won)
Filmfare Awards South:
- Best Director – Telugu for the movie ‘Arya’ in 2005 (Won)
- Best Director – Telugu for the movie ‘Arya 2″ in 2010 (Nominated)
- Best Director – Telugu for the movie ‘Rangasthalam’ in 2019 (Nominated)
- Best Director – Telugu for the movie ‘100% Love’ in 2013 (Nominated)
South Indian International Movie Awards:
- Best Director (Telugu) for the movie ‘100% Love’ in 2013 (Nominated)Best Director (Telugu) for the movie ‘Nannaku Prematho’ in 2017 (Nominated)
- Best Director (Telugu) for the movie ‘Rangasthalam’ in 2019 (Won)
- Best Director (Jury) for the movie ‘Arya’ in 2005 (Won)
- Best Screenplay writer for the movie ‘Arya’ in 2005 (Won)
- He won the Santosham Film Awards for Best Director for the movie ‘Rangasthalam’ in 2019 (Won)
- He won the KV Reddy memorial award in 2014
- He follows a vegetarian diet. In an interview, he revealed that when he was six years old, one of his favourite roosters was killed and cooked. After watching the slaughter and feeling bad about it, he decided to follow a vegetarian diet.
- Before he started working as a director, he worked as a lecturer for six years in a college. He used to teach the subjects mathematics and physics at the Aditya Junior college, Kakinada. Later, he started assisting big directors as a writer.
- He has his own production banner named ‘Sukumar Writings.’
- According to Sukumar, he met his wife at the screening of his debut film ‘Arya.’ They got married to each other after dating for some time, but Thabitha’s family did not accept the marriage initially.
- In an interview, he talked about his film ‘Pushpa’ and said that initially, he wanted to make ‘Pushpa’ a web series, but later he changed his mind and after some research on it, he made it a movie.
- The 2021 film ‘Pushpa: The Rise – Part 1’ was released in six languages including Telugu. The movie became a superhit. In the first week of its release, it earned a business of almost Rs. 128 crores gross worldwide. In an interview, Sukumar talked about his experience working in Pushpa and said,
I have come to know that, despite the competition from ‘Spider-Man’, our film has created a record in Nizam territory. In Hindi, we didn’t do adequate publicity due to time constraints. SS Rajamouli garu kept prodding me to do publicity. I told him my film is not a ‘RRR’ or a ‘KGF’. He said that if I believe that it’s a pan-India film, it will be one. Rs 4 Cr is what our film has made in North India (Hindi version) on Day 1. Bunny is quite popular among the Hindi audience. His popularity has fetched the film this kind of market.”
- In 2021, he did a noble work by financing Rs 18 lakh to the school where he studied as a child. He helped in building two new classrooms in the government school at Mattaparru village.