Sukhjit Singh Gill (Goldkartz) is a Malaysian singer and lawyer. He sings Modern Punjabi bhangra songs along with his elder brother, Manjit Singh Gill, and the duo together known as ‘Goldkartz.’ In 2023, the sibling duo collaborated with the popular Indian rapper Badshah for the song ‘Sab Gazab’ in which the Bollywood actress Ileana D’Cruz also appeared.
Sukhjit Singh Gill was born on Wednesday, 5 April 1989 (age 34 years; as of 2023) in Ipoh, Malaysia. He did his schooling at Saint Michael’s Institution in Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia. He did his Pre-university programme, ‘Cambridge A Level,’ at Taylor’s University. He pursued LLB (Hons.) at Universiti Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Weight (approx.): 80 kg
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
His father, Darshan Singh Gill, is a lawyer. His mother, Suveeder Kaur, is a homemaker. He has two elder brothers named Manjit Singh Gill and Amarjit Singh Gill, and a sister named Ranjit Kaur Gill. All of his siblings are lawyers.
Wife & Children
He got married to Simerjit Kaur in 2019, held in Ipoh, Malaysia. The special guests at their wedding were the Sultan of Perak Sultan Nazrin Shah and his wife Raja Permaisuri Perak Tunku Zara Salim.
Sukhjit Singh Gill met Simerjit Kaur through a common friend at an event after which they started talking to each other. The couple dated each other for two years and later decided to get married. Tatler
Lawyer – Darshan, Syed, Amarjit & Partners
On 19 June 2014, Sukhjit Singh Gill was called to the Bar in front of retired Justice Zainal Adzam. He later joined the law firm ‘Darshan, Syed, Amarjit & Partners.’ His father and siblings are also associated with this firm.
Musician – Goldkartz
Sukhjit Singh Gill started his singing career when he was a teenager. In 2005, he and his elder brother Manjit Singh Gill formed a music duo named ‘Goldkartz.’ The duo brought a new form of bhangra music by making a fusion of traditional Punjabi music with Malaysian cadences. They mainly highlight the themes of romance and having fun in their songs. In 2008, the sibling duo their first music album ‘Loaded’ (2008) under the multinational record label EMI. The album was released in Malaysia and achieved modest success with a sale of more than 5,000 CDs in the country.
In 2011, the duo made their international debut with their second album ’24 Karaatz,’ which they released in many countries including Malaysia, Britain, and India. The album was released under the multinational record label Warner Music.
In the same year, the duo sibling sang the song ‘Mauja’ for the Bollywood film “Chala Mussaddi Office Office” starring Pankaj Kapur. Their track ‘Desi Patola’ (2015) was released on various Punjabi and English music channels including PTC, Tashaan, BritAsia, Jus Punjabi, and Zee TV.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- In 2012, he and his brother Manjit Singh Gill won gold for Best Punjabi Act for their music duo ‘Goldkartz.’
- In 2013, he and his duo partner Manjit Singh Gill were honoured with the Brand Laureate Country Branding Award by the Asia Pacific Brands Foundation for promoting tourism in Malaysia through their music videos.
- Sukhjit Singh Gill was honoured with the Darjah Yang Mulia Ahli Mahkota Wilayah at Istana Negara (National Palace), Malaysia on 1 February 2017.
- The duo ‘Goldkartz’ has four entries in the Malaysia Book of Records in their name for becoming the first Malaysian group to produce a bhangra album titled ‘Loaded’ in 2008, to produce and sing a song in a Bollywood film in 2011, to produce a Dhol album ’24 Karaatz’ in 2011, and to perform at the United Kingdom Music Awards at Wembley Stadium, London in 2013.
- Dessert: Gajar ka halwa
- Quote: “I can wish you a hundred years of success, but this time its mine!”
- He is popular by his stage name ‘Surj.’
- The sibling duo of Manjit Singh Gill and Sukhjit Singh Gill earned the title of ‘Malaysia’s Bhangra Ambassadors’ from their fans.
- Goldkartz second album ’24 Karaatz’ (2011) was launched by Rosmah Mansor, wife of former Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak. In an interview, she said that she was very impressed by the efforts put in by the sibling duo ‘Goldkartz’ to promote bhangra music at the international level. While praising the duo in the interview, she said,
Goldkartz’s effort truly manifested the spirit of Malaysia Boleh (Malaysia can), where everyone can succeed provided they work hard and are committed to achieving success.”
- In 2014, the sibling duo ‘Goldkartz’ became the first Southeast Asian group to perform at the Russian-Asian Modern Culture Festival which was held in Moscow. While talking about this in an interview, Sukhjit Singh Gill said,
We are the only Southeast Asian group invited to perform in the festival which will also see participation from Brazil and China groups.”
- Sukhjit Singh Gill loves to read books in his leisure time.
- He is often spotted consuming alcohol on various occasions.