Sreenivasan Jain is an Indian journalist who is known for conducting the show ‘Truth vs Hype’ on NDTV 24×7.
Sreenivasan Jain attended Rishi Valley School, Delhi. He completed his higher eduaction at Hindu College, the University Of Delhi and the University of Sussex, England.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Sreenivasan’s father’s name is Lakshmi Chand Jain, who was a political activist.
His mother’s name is Devaki Jain, who is an economist.
He has a brother, Gopal Jain.
In 1995, Jain started working at NDTV. He was appointed as NDTV’s Mumbai bureau chief in 2003. In 2010, he became the managing editor of the business channel from the NDTV Group. In 2015, he was appointed as the Op-ed columnist for the Business Standard newspaper.
- 2006: Best Anchor News/Current Affairs Award by the Indian Television Academy
- 2014: Ramnath Goenka Award for Journalist of the Year
- 2015: Journalist of the Year Award at the RedInk journalism awards by Press Club, Mumbai
- 2022: India’s Most Trusted News Anchor since 2019
- Jain is known by the name Vasu by his friends and family members.
- In 2017, NDTV removed a report made by Jain and Manas Pratap Singh about the loans given to Jay Shah’s company during BJP’s rule. In a post on Facebook, he wrote,
A week ago, a report by Manas Pratap Singh and me on loans given to Jay Shah’s companies was taken down from NDTV’s website. NDTV’s lawyers said it needed to be removed for “legal vetting”. It has still not been restored. This is deeply unfortunate, since the report is based entirely on facts in the public domain and makes no unsubstantiated or unwarranted assertions. A situation like this presents journalists with hard choices. For now, I am treating this is as a distressing aberration and have decided to continue to do the journalism that I have always done – on NDTV. All of this has been conveyed to NDTV.”
- In 2018, Rajiv Mantri, a columnist, made controversial remarks about Jain’s father LC Jain. Jain sent a legal notice to Rajiv. In a tweeter post, Mantri talked about the notice and said,
I am shocked that a well-connected and powerful journalist like Sreenivasan Jain is threatening me, a common citizen, with legal consequences for expressing an opinion. I see this as an attempt to stifle my voice and silence me.”
- In 2020, when Jain was reporting about the Delhi CAA riots, people started pelting stones at him. Deepak Chaurasia took to Twitter to share the video in which Jain said,
Already, some stones have starting to come so we are not going to film anymore. We will turn the camera to the other side, will we turn the camera and walk towards the other side, we are not going to get the crowd agitated.”
- In 2020, businessman Rakesh Jhunjhunwala gave an interview to NDTV where Jain was the interviewer. During the interview, Rakesh said that NDTV criticized BJP without reason. In the interview, he said,
I am a fan of Mr. Modi – This is a well-known fact. As an Indian, I have a right to my political choices… But, I find you prejudiced. I find NDTV prejudiced against the government.”
प्रिय दोस्त! @SreenivasanJain !#ShaheenBagh पिटाई के वक्त आपने लिखा था मैं तो पत्रकार हूँ नहीं!लेकिन आप तो हैं!फिर CAA के ख़िलाफ़ प्रदर्शन कर रहे इन शांतिदूतों ने आप पर पत्थर क्यों बरसाएँ? हाँ अगर आप उनसे कहते कि आप रविश कुमार के चैनल से हैं तो आपका ये हाल नहीं होता !#DelhiBurns pic.twitter.com/82kmA3TH2X
— Deepak Chaurasia (@DChaurasia2312) February 26, 2020
- In 2021, he made misleading tweets stating that Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin was substandard. Later, he apologized for the tweets and said,
I did clarify that in subsequent Tweets but the initial Tweet could have been worded much better. I am deleting the original Tweet. For any confusion caused as a result, apologies.”
- In 2022, he helped Alt News co-founder Mohammed Zubair and lent Rs. 50,000 for his bail.
- In February 2022, NDTV removed a video where Jain was insulted by a girl in Uttar Pradesh while he was reporting from UP during the state assembly elections. The girl said that she was happy with the BJP rule in UP and would vote for him.