Saba Hameed is a Pakistani actress and director. She was one of the top actresses of the Pakistani showbiz in the 90s. She is famous for portraying the role of a toxic mother-in-law in Pakistani TV shows.
Saba Hameed was born on Friday, 21 June 1957 (age 66 years; as of 2023) in Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan. Her zodiac sign is Cancer. She pursued her education at the Lahore College for Women University, Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan. Her younger sister, Huma Hameed became an actress before Saba. A visit to her sister’s set led Saba to start acting. In 2012, Saba moved to Karachi.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Brown
She belongs to a family of writers and journalists.
Parents & Siblings
Saba’s father, Hameed Akhtar, was a newspaper columnist, writer, journalist, and secretary-general of the Progressive Writers Association in Pakistan, and her mother, Saadia Hameed, was a film producer. Saba has three sisters and one brother. Saba’s younger sisters, Huma Hameed and Lalarukh Hameed, both are actresses
Husband & Children
Saba Hameed was first married to Syed Parvaiz Shafi. They had two kids: a daughter, Meesha Shafi, a Pakistani actress and singer, and a son, Faris Shafi, a Pakistani rapper, songwriter, and actor. Later, they divorced.
Saba Hameed follows Islam.
Saba Hameed made her debut at Lahore Center in 1980 with the Urdu play“Bund Darwazy.” She acted in many plays for over a decade, from the mid-1970s to the mid-1980s.
Saba Hameed made her television debut in 1978 with the Pakistani TV show Dheleez. She has acted in more than 100 television shows including Band Dukhon Ki Chadar (1984), Uncle Sargam Show (1995), Thodi Door Saath Chalo (2007), Qaid-e-Tanhai (2010), Annie Ki Ayegi Baraat (2012), and Kalank (2023).
In 2021, Saba Hameed appeared in the Pakistani TV drama series Mere Humsafar (2021) in which she played the role of Shah Jahan, a toxic mother-in-law; her portrayal of the role was critically admired, and the show became one of the top-watched television series. Ary News
She has also appeared in many telefilms including Abhi Tou Main Jawan Hoon (2013), Aunty Allergy (2022), Neelofer Tsunami (2022), and Tamak Toiyan (2023).
In 2019, Saba Hameed directed Ghalati (2019), a Pakistani romantic drama television series, in which she also played the role of Zaitoon, a toxic mother-in-law. In 2023, Saba directed Jaisay Aapki Marzi (2023).
Awards and Honours
- In 1987, she won the Best Actress award at the Nigar Awards for the Pakistani show Aasman.
- In 2000, she won the Best Actress award at the PTV Awards for the Pakistani sitcom Family Front (1997).
- In 2012, she was honoured with Pride of Performance, Pakistan’s highest national literary award, by the President of Pakistan. The Express Tribune
- Travel destination: Dubai
- Poet: Atif Touqeer
- Saba Hameed enjoys travelling and has travelled to many countries including Scotland, Hawaii, and Austria.
- In 2016, Saba Hameed appeared in Sunrise from Istanbul, a Pakistani television morning talk show, along with Pakistani actresses Maria Wasti and Samina Ahmad.
- In an interview, while talking about directing and acting at the same time for a show, she said that she enjoyed directing more than she enjoyed acting.
- In 2023, during an interview, when asked about what would she be if not an actor, she said,
I would be a pilot, since childhood I wanted to be a pilot and never thought of becoming an actor but being a pilot as not an option for women and acting was accidental for me.”