RJ Chaitu is an Indian radio jockey, YouTuber, and TV presenter. As a radio jockey, he is known for hosting two top-rated radio shows ‘Zabardasth Masti’ and ‘Midnight Biryani’ on Red FM Hyderabad.
Chaitanya Basava The New Indian Express was born on Wednesday, 2 August 1989 (age 32 years; as of 2021), and he hails from Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh. His zodiac sign is Leo. He did his schooling at TCMA English Medium High School, Vijayawada. He had a troublesome childhood after his father’s death. At the age of 12, he started earning by pursuing odd jobs like delivering couriers. Since childhood, he was talkative and participated in numerous interactive school activities.
He pursued his intermediate studies at Andhra Loyola College, Vijayawada. The Hans India Once, during his college days, he watched singer-songwriter Devi Sri Prasad‘s live concert. The singer’s performance and interaction with people intrigued Chaitu to become an entertainer. In 2008, he moved to Hyderabad, where he attended Osmania University, RJ Chaitu’s Facebook meanwhile seeking further opportunities. He also pursued a diploma in animation at Arena Institute, Dilsukhnagar. The Hans India In an interview, he recounted his hectic schedule in Hyderabad and said,
I would go to the animation course in the morning, college in the afternoon and worked at a call centre at night. I barely slept during that period of life.”
During those days, he also listened to the radio shows of RJ Raaj and RJ Prateeka, which prompted him to become an RJ.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
RJ Chaitu’s father, Malleswara Rao Basava, passed away during Chaitu’s childhood. Thereafter, his mother, Basava Seshukumari, assumed the responsibility of raising Chaitu and his brother, Basava Charan. Basava Charan worked at Nischint Social Welfare Trust.
RJ Chaitu worked at various places like shopping malls, call centres, and gift shops, before venturing into the radio industry. He was rejected for the job of a radio jockey six times due to the accent he had developed at the call centre training. He landed a job in 2009 when RJ Kajal of Red FM Hyderabad enjoined him to audition for an Outdoor Broadcast (OB) radio show. Taking permission from his office, Chaitu went for the audition, but he was sceptical about it. At the venue of the audition, he was noticed by the programme head who heard Chaitu on the spot and hired him for the OB show ‘Red on Road’ straight away. On 11 September 2009, he started his journey as a radio jockey with Red FM Hyderabad.
Chaitu’s work in the OB show secured him the opportunity to host the show ‘Midnight Biryani’ in 2013. Chaitu garnered a fanbase when he went out of character to give a motivational speech to cheer up a caller during his midnight show. The next morning, his audience showered immense love onto him. While recollecting the incident, in an interview, he said,
The next morning I had 250 mails of people telling me that they deeply connected to what I said that night…I realised that there are certain emotions people connect to and need someone to voice them…So if through my medium I’m able to make someone’s day better, I will keep doing that”
Thereafter, Chaitu ensured to add a motivational message every day at the end of his show. In 2015, he became the host of another show titled ‘Zabardast Masti.’ The show went on to win the title of Best Radio Show (Non-Breakfast- Telugu) at Excellence in Radio Awards (ERA) in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2019. Also, Red FM Hyderabad was awarded the title of Best FM Station South at ERA (2016).
In 2010, he began his career as a TV presenter with Telugu music channel Maa Music (now Star Maa Music). Later, he presented various popular TV shows like College Style, Vow, Chai Biscuit, and Must Time Pass.
In 2015, he hosted IPL from Hyderabad. Apart from hosting various events and TV shows, he also works as a voiceover artist.
Amid Covid-19 lockdown, he started a now-defunct Youtube channel ‘Chatterbox Chaitu.’ Noticing that there wasn’t a single proper show which had both games and interviews, he disrupted the space by introducing the show “Challenges with Chatterbox Chaitu” (2021) on his channel. The game show was divided into four sections — one minute, 30 seconds, 20 seconds and 10 seconds — for each of the challenges, which created curiosity among both the audience as well as the celebrities who played it. The show’s first episode on YouTube with Syed Sohel, Akhil Sarthak, and Ariyana Glory was a big hit, garnering one million views within a week.
In 2021, he established a self-titled YouTube channel on which he interviews and plays games with his friends, posts random vlogs, and takes up food challenges.
In 2022, he appeared as a contestant in the Indian Telugu-language reality digital series Bigg Boss Non-Stop Telugu (2022), where he joined the Team Challengers.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- Won the title of “Most Popular RJ” at the Excellence in Radio Awards in 2018 and 2019
- Won Certificate of Excellence for Best RJ (Male) at Indywood Excellence Award (2017)
- Pride of Telangana Award by Weave and Telangana Tourism (2019)
- Food: Appam
- Actor: N. T. Rama Rao Jr.
- During the show Bigg Boss Non-Stop Telugu (2022), RJ Chaitu revealed that he had been facing body-shaming since childhood. He confessed it while nominating the ace choreographer Nataraj claiming that the latter had been body-shaming him during the show.
- He is also known by the moniker Chatterbox Chaitu. The New Indian Express
- A mic is tattooed on his forearm.
The symbol of the zodiac sign ‘Leo’ is inked on his left hand.
- In an interview, he revealed that his family was supportive of his decision to become an RJ despite their ignorance of the field. He said,
I started earning very early in life. So, my mother and brother, even though they didnt know what the hell I was doing, they always believed that I would figure something out. ‘Edo okati chesesthadu le veedu,’ they thought.”
- Recalling an amusing incident about her mother, in an interview, Chaitu revealed that once his mother video called him while travelling on a train to show off his popular son to other passengers.
- His fans adore him to such an extent that they even send out marriage proposals for him. While talking about the same in an interview, he said,
I randomly shared on air once that my family was looking for matches for me and I was flooded with pictures and profiles asking my hand in marriage.”
He also revealed that one of his fans also approached his family to ask for Chaitu’s hand in marriage; the proposal was put off.
- While revealing his hidden talents in an interview, he said that he was a small-time singer, who sing jingles for his radio channel, Red FM Hyderabad.
- The RJ shares his birthday with the singer-songwriter Devi Sri Prasad (DSP), who is known for his works in the Telugu entertainment industry. Chaitu is also a huge fan of DSP. In 2012, DSP gifted him a bracelet on his birthday, which Chaitu identified as his most prized possession in an interview.
- While talking about his pet peeve, in an interview, he said,
I can’t stand it if others’ cars aren’t clean or are smelly… Others’ Not mine!”
- He is a non-vegetarian. RJ Chaitu- YouTube
- He is actively associated with the institutional care home called DESIRE Society, which encourages volunteers to contribute their time, expertise, and skills to uplift the lives of children infected with HIV/AIDS.
- His blood group is A+.
- An avid dog lover, RJ Chaitu posts various pictures with his pet dog on his social media handles.
- He owns a Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace.