Rini Simon Khanna is a well-known Indian news broadcaster of Doordarshan during the 1980s-90s. She started working with All India Radio at just the age of 13 years. Later, she became an English newsreader for national news at DD. She is the female voice behind the Delhi Metro’s English announcement.
Rini Simon (maiden name) was born in 1964 (age 60 years; as of 2023) in Kerala. She studied at various schools across India due to frequent transfers of her father, who was an Indian Air Force Officer. The Economic Times In 1978, she completed her schooling at Kendriya Vidyalaya, Delhi. She completed her secondary education at The Air Force School, in New Delhi, in 1981. She earned a Bachelor of Arts in English Honors degree from Jesus and Mary College, Delhi University, in 1984. She pursued a Master of Arts in History at Delhi University (1984-1986). From 1984 to 1985, she pursued a post-graduate diploma in Journalism at The Indian Institute of Mass Communication. In 1984, she gave an audition for Doordarshan and got selected as a newsreader.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Hair Colour: Dark Brown
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Parents & Siblings
Rini Simon’s father was an Indian Air Force Officer. There is not much information about her mother. She has an elder brother.
Husband & Children
Rini got married to Deepak Khanna, a Delhi-based businessman. She has a son named Sahil Khanna.
All India Radio
Rini was 13 years old when she started working with All India Radio. She did many programs on the radio like request shows, music shows, roving microphone, in the Groove, Yuva Vani, etc. In 1982, she started reading primetime news on All India Radio.
In 1984, Rini got selected as an English newsreader at Doordarshan and started her news-reading with Parliament News. At the end of her third bulletin of Parliament News, a critic, Amita Malik, noticed her, and put her on National News along with the anchor Tejeshwar Singh. She worked with Doordarshan till 2001, for almost 2 decades.
- In school, she compèred Air Force Day Parade Show attended by the then-Prime Minister.
- While working at All India Radio, she covered many prominent events of national interest including Independence Day, Republic Day, etc.
- She is a voiceover artist as well and has given her voice to many documentaries, ad films, etc.
- Rini is the female voice behind the Delhi Metro announcements; Shammi Narang is the male voice of the Delhi Metro announcements.
- While pursuing her graduation, she tried to join Doordarshan but got rejected because she was not a graduate at that time.
- She is the follower of Sadhguru and visits his Isha yoga center every year.
- Rini is fond of reading and has a large collection of books.
- When Rini Simon changed her name after marriage to Rini Simon Khanna, there was a rumour among people that she got married to actor Mukesh Khanna.
|↑1||The Economic Times|