Priya Bapat is an Indian actress, model, anchor, and singer who primarily works in Marathi language films and television shows. She is known for her appearance in the Marathi films Kaksparsh (2013) as Uma, Aamhi Doghi (2018) as Saavi, and the Hindi web series ‘City of Dreams’ Season 2 (2021) as Poornima Rao Gaikwad on Disney+ Hotstar.
Priya Bapat was born on Thursday, 18 September 1986 (age 36 years; as of 2022) in Dadar, Mumbai. Priya completed her schooling at Balmohan Vidyamandir School, Mumbai. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics from the University of Mumbai, Mumbai. Priya pursued a master’s degree in mass communication at Sophia Polytechnic College, Mumbai. Priya Bapat – Facebook
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Weight (approx.): 55 kg
Hair Colour: Light Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Figure Measurements (approx.): 33-26-34
Priya played the character of a girl, Pooja, who wants to achieve size zero by following a heavy weight loss regime in the Marathi film Vazandar. Hence, she gained 16 kg of her body weight to prepare for her character.
I prefer to earn it. Makes me appreciate it more. Be it putting on 16 kg for #Vazandaar or losing all of that later .#valueyourself. pic.twitter.com/ed9qGAlgps
— Priya Bapat (@bapat_priya) October 23, 2016
Priya Bapat belongs to a Maharashtrian family.
Parents & Siblings
Priya’s father’s name is Sharad Bapat.
Her mother’s name is Smita Bapat.
Priya has an elder sister, Shweta Bapat, who is a costume designer.
Husband & Children
Priya Bapat got married to Umesh Kamat on 6 October 2011. The couple met at the premiere of the Marathi film Bhet in 2002.
Before getting married to Umesh in 2011, Priya dated him for around six years.
In 2000, Priya Bapat made her debut in Bollywood as a child artist with the film Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar in which she played the role of young Ramabai Ambedkar.
Priya appeared in the Bollywood films Munna Bhai M.B.B.S (2003) and Lage Raho Munna Bhai (2006).
In 2013, Priya appeared in the Marathi film ‘Time Please’ along with her husband in which she played the role of Amruta Sane.
Priya has appeared in a few Marathi films like Aandhali Koshimbir (2014) as Manju, Happy Journey (2014) as Janaki, Timepass 2 (2015) as Prajakta Lele, and Vazandar (2016) as Pooja.
In 2001, Priya made her television debut with the Marathi show De Dhamal in which she played the role of Rutuja on Alpha TV Marathi.
Later, she appeared in a few Marathi television shows like Abhalmaya (2002) on Alpha TV Marathi as Monee, Adhuri Ek Kahani (2007) on Zee Marathi as Arpita, and Shubham Karoti (2010) on Zee Marathi as Kimaya.
In 2019, Priya appeared in the web series Mayanagari-City of Dreams in which she played the role of Poornima Rao Gaikwad on Disney+ Hotstar.
Priya Bapat appeared in season 1 (2019) and season 2 (2020) of the Marathi web series ‘Aani Kay Hava’ as Jui on MX Player along with her husband Umesh Kamat. In 2021, she appeared in the sequel of her debut web series City of Dreams’ Season 2.
In March 2022, Priya appeared in one of the episodes titled ‘Pehchaan’ of the Hindi web series Khud Ke Liye on YouTube.
In 2016, Priya made her singing debut with the song ‘Golu Polu’ in the Marathi film Vazandar.
In 2017, she lent her voice to the Marathi song ‘Tu Mi Ani Gachchi’ from the Marathi film Gachchi.
Priya appeared as an anchor in various Marathi television reality shows like Kids World (2001) on Alpha TV Marathi, Alpha Features (2002) on Alpha TV Marathi, Goodmorning Maharashtra (2009) on Zee Marathi, Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Season 10 (2011) on Zee Marathi, and Aamhi Travelkar (2014), 1st Marathi International Travel Reality Show on Star Pravah.
Priya has appeared in a few commercials for brands like Bisleri, Chings Secret, Bharat Matrimony, Ram Bandhu Masala, Parsik Bank, Sunfeast Marie Light, Phillips, Whisper Ultra, Sunsilk Shampoo, Canara Bank, and Yellow Diamond.
- 2013: Best Actress for the Marathi film Kaksparsh at Screen Awards
- 2013: Best Actress for the Marathi film Kaksparsh at Zee Gaurav Awards
- 2013: Best Actress for the Marathi film Kaksparsh at Maharashtra State Awards
- 2014: Best Actress for the film Happy Journey at Maharashtra State Film Awards
- 2014: Nomination for the Best Actress category at the Marathi Filmfare Award for the film Happy Journey
- 2021: Best Actress award for the Marathi web series Aani Kay Hava at Talent Track Awards
- 2021: Best Jodi award for the Marathi web series Aani Kay Hava at Talent Track Awards
- Food: Ukdiche Modak, Puran poli, and Varan bhaat
- Cuisine: Maharashtrian
- Restaurant: Le Cafe in Chembur
- Fruit(s): Apple, Watermelon, and Mango
- Director: Ravi Jadhav
- Holiday Destination(s): Belgium and Germany
- Priya is trained in Indian classical music. She attended Shivaji Park Vidyalaya to train in Indian classical music, and she has received professional training from Shubhada Dadarkar. In an interview, talking about her interest in music, Priya said,
Honestly, as a child I wanted to dance but it was mum who enrolled me in a singing class. It was her dream that I learn classical music. I trained in Hindustani music along with a harmonium as it was the rule in the class. I continued learning till standard eight and also appeared for an entry level exam. But later, I shifted to light music such as Bhakti geet and natya sangeet because I got bored of aalaps, I wanted to sing words.” Hindustan Times
- In 2011, Priya appeared in the Marathi play ‘Nava Gadi Nava Raajya,’ along with her husband, Umesh Kamat, which was based on the life of a couple after marriage.
- Priya Bapat was offered to play one of the hockey players in the Bollywood film ‘Chak De India,’ but she refused the offer because the scheduled dates of the shoot were clashing with her final year examination dates. In an interview, she talked about refusing the film and said,
I don’t regret refusing ‘Chak De India’ because when the film was offered to me I was studying and my studies were my priority. I used to do acting for fun.” The Times of India
- Priya Bapat has walked the ramp for a few designers like Shruti Mangaaysh and Archana Kochhar at Pune Times Fashion Week.
- Priya is a fitness enthusiast, and she often shares her workout regime on social media.
- Priya appeared in a few videos like ‘Husband, Wife & Lockdown’ (2020) and ‘Husband, Wife & New Year Resolutions’ (2021) on Bharatiya Digital Party, a Marathi channel on YouTube.
- In 2021, Priya collaborated with her elder sister Shweta Bapat, a costume designer, and launched a traditional Indian clothing venture called ‘Sawenchi.’ In an interview, she talked about her clothing brand and said,
I’d always wanted to start a venture like this but I’d never thought I would do it so soon. We are starting with saris for now and these will be an extension of my style as well- earthy and elegant. The designs will be ours and the execution will be done by the weavers from different parts of the country, including Jaipur, Maheshwar, Indore, Kutch and Hyderabad. The Times of India
- Priya has appeared on the cover of a few magazines like Citadel and Perfect Woman.