Ong Seong-wu is a South Korean actor and singer. He is a former member of the South Korean boy band ‘Wanna One.’
Ong Seong-wu was born on Friday, August 25, 1995 (age 26 years; as of 2021), in Incheon, South Korea. In Korean, his name is written as 옹성우. His zodiac sign is Virgo. He did his schooling at Sangincheon Elementary School, Incheon, (elementary schooling) and Guwol Middle School, Incheon, South Korea, and later, he attended Hanlim Multi Art School, Seoul, South Korea. He graduated in dance from Hanlim School, and he did major in acting at Dong Seoul University. Tribun News
Eye Color: Black
Hair Color: Black (He often dyes his hair and has colored his hair pink, red, blonde, silver, and brown.)
The citation says that his parents are methodist priests. Ong Seong-wu has one elder sister who was born in 1992.
In his teenage, he was encouraged by his mother to start learning drums, and his sister started learning the piano. In 2008, he was selected by the entertainment company Lion Media as a trainee after they watched him playing the drums in one of the band’s concerts.
Later, he signed a contract as an acting trainee with the company ‘Fantagio’ in August 2016 after the recommendation of his university’s professor.
As a Contestant
While he was training as an actor at his agency named Fantagio, he participated in the South Korean reality show ‘Produce 101 Season 2’ (2017) and finished fifth place in the show. Being among the top-11 contestants, he debuted as a member of the boyband ‘Wanna One,’ which was signed with YMC Entertainment and Stone Entertainment.
In 2017, he was selected as the cast member of the South Korean show ‘Master Key’ aired on SBS. Ong then appeared as the cast member in the TV shows like ‘Law of the Jungle Sabah’ (2018) and ‘Traveler Season 2’ (2020). In 2017, he appeared in the TV show ‘Idol Fever.’
In 2020, he made special appearances in the South Korean show ‘Running Man.’
As a Member of Wanna One
On August 7, 2017, his group debuted at an event ‘Wanna One Premier Show-Con’ at the Gocheok Sky Dome, Seoul. His group made a special appearance in various shows like ‘Saturday Night Live Korea’ (2011), ‘The Return of Superman’ (2013), and ‘Happy Together’ (2018). On December 31, 2018, Wanna One’s contract ended with YMC agency. The group was then signed with Swing Entertainment. The group also disbanded on August 31, but Swing announced that the group’s planned activities would continue.
The final contestants of the Produce 101 Season 2 marked the end of the show by participating in the final concert at Olympic Hall in Seoul. The group was composed of eleven members- Kang Daniel, Park Ji-hoon, Lee Dae-hwi, Kim Jae-hwan, Ong Seong-wu, Park Woo-jin, Lai Kuan-lin, Yoon Ji-sung, Hwang Min-hyun, Bae Jin-young, and Ha Sung-woon. On August 7, 2017, his group debuted at an event ‘Wanna One Premier Show-Con’ at the Gocheok Sky Dome. On August 8, 2017, Wanna One released their debut extended play ‘1×1=1 (To Be One)’ with music videos of their lead song ‘Energetic’ and one other song ‘Burn It Up.’ On November 13, 2017, their first EP was repackaged their album into ‘1-1=0 (Nothing Without You)’ with the title track ‘Beautiful’. Beautiful peaked at number 1 in Gaon Digital Chart and K-pop Hot 100 in 2017.
The combined sale of their first EP and repackaged album made the group the third Kpop group to sell a million copies of their debut album, after Seo Taiji and Boys in 1992. On March 5, 2018, Wanna One released their single track ‘I Promise You (I.P.U) with its music video. On March 19, 2018, their album ‘Golden Age Begins’ was released with the title track as ‘Boomerang,’ which peaked at number 3 in Gaon Digital Chart in 2018. In April 2018, the group split into different groups to collaborate with different South Korean artists like Dynamic Duo, Zico, Nell, and Heize to produce an album titled ‘1÷x=1 (Undivided).’
On June 4, 2018, the album was released with the music video of its lead single ‘Light.’ Seong-wu, along with Lee Dae-hwi, was in the group named ‘The Heal,’ and his group producer was Heize. The group produced the song ‘Hourglass’ in the album. Wanna One’s contract with YMC Entertainment expired on May 31, 2018. The group was then signed with Swing Entertainment starting June 1, 2018, but it continued to maintain the partnership with YMC. On November 19, 2018, Wanna One released their first studio album titled ‘1¹¹=1 (Power of Destiny)’ with the title track ‘Spring Breeze.’
On December 31, 2018, the group disbanded, but after discussion with all the agencies handing Wanna One, it was decided that the group’s planned activities would continue till January 2019.
As a Solo Artist
In 2018, he co-hosted Korean shows like ‘Living Together in Empty Room’ and ‘Show! Music Core.’ In March and April 2019, he organized his first solo fan-meeting tour ‘Eternity.’ In 2019, he released his single ‘Heart Sign’ as a part of Pepsi and Starship Entertainment’s 2019 ‘Pepsi K-Pop Collab Project.’
His genres are K-pop, synth, soft rock, and R&B. In 2019, his interview was aired on Radio programs like Two O’Clock Escape Cultwo Show, Idol Radio, and Read a Book. He has featured in various advertisements of brands including Bang Bang Apparel Co., Ltd., Euro Home Furnishing, and Cat Beauty. In 2019, he appeared in various renowned magazines like the Elle March issue, GQ April issue, AtStyle April issue, and W September issue. In the same year, he became the PR ambassador of Incheon Metropolitan City Office of Education. Ong’s second solo fan-meeting tour was organised in 2020 with the name ‘We Belong,’ and the single ‘We Belong’ was released on January 9, 2020.
Ong assisted in writing the lyrics and composing the song, and he performed it for the first time at the Seoul tour (2020). In the same year, he launched his solo album ‘Layers,’ including the song ‘Gravity.’ He also performed the song and played the drums at the music program ‘You Hee-yeol’s Sketchbook’ in 2020. Ong released the song ‘Didn’t Say Anything’ in collaboration with the South Korean singer Baek Ji-young, which was released on May 12, 2020.
As a member of the ‘Wanna One’ band, he appeared as a special emcee in one of the seasons of the music shows ‘M Countdown’ and ‘Inkigayo.’
As an Actor
Before making his appearance at the Korean show ‘Produce 101 (season 2)’ in 2017, he acted in a South Korean short film ‘Seong-woo is alright.’
In 2019, he debuted as an actor in the TV series ‘At Eighteen’ in which he played the role of Choi Jun-woo.
Some of his other South Korean dramas as an actor are ‘More Than Friends’ (2020) and ‘Shall We Have A Cup of Coffee?’ (2021). In 2021, he played the role of Jung-woo in the South Korean film ‘Life is Beautiful.’
Ong is roped in for a few other Korean films like ‘Jung’s Ranch’ and ‘Seoul Vibe,’ which are yet to be released as of 2021.
Awards & Achievements
As a Member of Wanna One
Asia Artist Awards
- 2017: Rookie Award received by Wanna One
- 2017: Super Rookie Samsung Pay Award received by Wanna One
- 2018: Artist of the Year – Music received by Wanna One
- 2018: Asia Hot Artist – Music received by Wanna One
- 2018: Best Artist Award – Music received by Wanna One
Gaon Chart Music Awards
- 2018: Album of the Year – 4th Quarter for 1-1=0 (Nothing Without You)
- 2018: Song of the Year – November for “Beautiful”
- 2018: New Artist of the Year (Album) – 1X1=1 (To Be One)
- 2018: Popularity Award
- 2019: Album of the Year – 1st Quarter for 0+1=1 (I Promise You)
Seoul Music Awards
- 2018: Bonsang Award
- 2018: New Artist Award
- 2019: Bonsang Award
- 2019: Fandom School Award
Soribada Best K-Music Awards
- 2017: New Artist of the Year
- 2017: Rising Hot Star Award
- 2018: Bonsang Award
- 2018: Popularity Award (Male)
Golden Disc Awards
- 2018: New Artist of the Year
- 2019: Best Male Group
- 2019: Cosmopolitan Artist Award
- 2019: Disc Bonsang for 0+1=1 (I Promise You)
MBC Plus X Genie Music Awards
- 2018: Song of the Year Daesang for “Beautiful”
- 2018: Best Male Vocal Performance for “Beautiful”
- 2018: MBC Plus Star Award
Melon Music Awards
- 2017: Best New Artist
- 2017: Top 10 Artists Bonsang
- 2017: Kakao Hot Star Award
- 2018: Top 10 Artists Bonsang
- 2018: Record of the Year Daesang
- 2018: Artist of the Year Daesang
- 2018: Best Male Dance for “Boomerang”
Mnet Asian Music Awards
- 2017: Best of Next
- 2017: Best New Male Artist
- 2017: Best Male Group Won
- 2017: Artist of the Year
- 2018: Best Male Group
- 2018: DDP Best Trend
- 2018: Worldwide Fan’s Choice Top 10
Korean Film Actors Association Awards
- 2017: Top Singer
Korea Entertainment Producers Association Awards
- 2018: Artist of the Year
- 2018: National Brand Grand Prize
- 2018: Consumer Rights Day Awards – Best Singer of the Year Selected by Music Consumers
- Forbes’ list of Korea Power Celebrity – 2nd in 2018 & 3rd in 2019
Note: There are many more awards received by Wanna One.
As a Solo Artist
- 2019: Asia Artist Awards- Rookie Actor Award for the film At Eighteen
- 2019: DongA’s Pick under the category Want To See Your Next Project Award
- 2019: Two Korea Drama Awards under the categories Best New Actor and Hallyu Star Award for the film At Eighteen
- 2019: StarHub Night of Stars- Most Promising Actor for At Eighteen
- 2020: Asia Model Awards under the category Popular Star Award
- In an interview, when he was asked about his first love, he said,
To be honest, this is so embarrassing that it’s hard to tell people, but I think it was in elementary school. If you say that your first love was in elementary school, people might respond, ‘Huh? How can a kid [experience] first love?’ But I really think that I was in pure, innocent love for several years.”
- During an interview, he talked about his acting career. He said,
When I was doing my first project, whenever I tried to do something, it didn’t work. I’d decided too much in advance what kind of scene each scene was. I’d decided where I had to cry, or where I had to get mad. But when I actually said the lines, the tears didn’t come. I had to get angry, but I didn’t feel angry. I approached it the wrong way in the beginning. But the director came over and said, ‘This isn’t in the script, but if you’re feeling sadness, you could cry. But it’s okay too if you don’t. Let’s roll with it.’ After they said that, the tears came.”
- In an interview, Ong shared that when his family was facing financial problems, his aunts helped him. His mother told him that when he would be successful, the first thing he should do was pay back the money they owed his aunts.
- On March 7, 2019, he was selected as the PR Ambassador of the Incheon Metropolitan City Office of Education. SE Daily
- He has been featured on the cover page of various magazines.
- In his leisure time, he loves to do photography.
- He is often spotted drinking alcohol at parties and events.