Nazneen, now known as Nazneen Merchant, is an Indian actress who was active in Bollywood in the 1970s and 1980s. She is known for playing the role of ‘Kunti’ in the Indian epic television series “Mahabharat.”
Nazneen was born on Sunday, 23 Febuary 1958 (age 62 years; as in 2020) in Kolkata. Her zodiac sign is Pisces. She did her schooling from Mumbai’s Hill Grange High School. She desired to become an air hostess since childhood. However, her mother used to think that pursuing that career was not safe for her. Once, during a party hosted by one of her relatives, the film director, Satyen Bose, spotted her and offered her a role in his film “Sa-Re-Ga-Ma-Pa” (1972).
Height (approx): 5′ 5″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Family & Caste
Nazneen belongs to a Muslim Family. Her father owned a printing press. She is the neice of Mumtaz Begum. She is married and has two daughters, Kausar Merchant and Kehkashan Merchant. She is the relative of the film producer, Yusuf Teendarwazwala.
Nazneen started her acting career in 1972 with the film “Sa-Re-Ga-Ma-Pa.” Next, she played the role of Jaya Bachchan‘s sister in the film “Kora Kagaz.” After Kora Kagaz, Nazneen many offers to play side roles in the films, but she rejected them all.She has featured in films like “Chalte Chalte” (1976), “Fauji” (1976), “Dildaar” (1977), “Khuda Kasam” (1981) and “Do Ustad” (1982). Nazneen has also worked in some “B” class films as a leading lady.
In 1988, she played the role of ‘Kunti’ in the popular Indian television series “Mahabharat.”
- Her hobbies include travelling and reading.
- She went to the same school as actress, Neetu Singh.
- Nazneen is often confused with the former actress, Aloka (Wife of actor, Ranjeet); as Aloka’s real name is Nazneen.
- The film directors were of the view that Nazneen very much looked like Jaya Bachchan, so she was offered the the of Jaya’s sister in a few films.
- Reportedly, Nazneen did only 22 films in her entire career span.
- In 1976, she did a Bikini Scene for the film “Chalte Chalte.” She agreed to wear a bikini in the film as she wanted the film directors to know that she can also carry the lead roles in the films.
- After “Sa-Re-Ga-Ma-Pa,” signed two more films with the director, Satyen Bose, but the films were never made.
- The film director, Satyen Bose suggested her to use the screen name Suparna or Sonali. However, Nazneen decided to work with her real name “Nazneen.”