Mrinal Kulkarni is an Indian TV & film actress, film director, and theatre artist. She is famous for playing the title role (angel) in the Hindi TV show ‘Son Pari’ (2000).
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Brown
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Vijay Deo (Dev), was a writer and professor, who died on 11 April 2019 due to illness. Her mother, Veena Dandekar Deo (Dev), is a writer. She has a sister named Madhura Deo (Dev).
Husband & Children
On 10 June 1990, she got married to her childhood friend Ruchir Kulkarni (a lawyer). The couple is blessed with a son named Virajas Kulkarni, who works as an actor, writer, and director in Marathi and Hindi films.
Her maternal grandfather, Gopal Nilkanth Dandekar, was a renowned Indian writer. Her maternal grandmother’s name is Neera Dandekar.
In 1990, while she was performing at an inter-college festival, she was spotted by the renowned Marathi film actor & director Gajanan Jahagirdar. He offered her the role of Ramabai Peshwe in the 1987 Marathi TV series ‘Swami.’ She accepted the offer and made her debut as an actor in the TV serial. In an interview, while remembering the incident, Mrinal said,
Actually, it was at an inter-collegiate festival in 1990 that Gajanan Jahagirdar, who was making Swami, spotted me. I wasn’t looking for roles or anything. Since Swami was a prestigious project, I agreed immediately. Even then, I continued with my studies, took my graduation exams.”
She has appeared in various other Marathi TV serials including ‘The Great Maratha’ (1994), ‘Avantika’ (2001), and ‘Raja Shivchatrapati’ (2020).
She debuted in the Hindi TV serial ‘Shrikant’ (1987) in which she played the role of Abhaya Shrikant.
Some of her other Hindi TV serials are ‘Son Pari’ (2000), ‘Astitva…Ek Prem Kahani’ (2002), ‘Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat’ (2008), and ‘Kaali – Ek Agnipariksha’ (2018).
Mrinal made her debut in the Marathi films with ‘Maza Saubhagya’ (1994) as Sumati.
She has acted in many Marathi films like ‘Jai Jai Maharashtra Majha’ (2012), ‘Prem Mhanje Prem Mhanje Prem Asta’ (2013), ‘Farzand’ (2018), and ‘Pawankhind’ (2022).
In 1989, she made her Bollywood debut with the film ‘Kamla Ki Maut’ in which she played the role of Charu S. Patel.
She has acted in various Hindi films such as ‘Jai Dakshineshwar Kali Maa’ (1996), ‘Veer Savarkar’ (2001), ‘Lekar Hum Deewana Dil’ (2014), and ‘The Kashmir Files’ (2022).
In 2016, she authored a book titled ‘Makeup Utravlyawar.’
She has also performed in various Hindi and Marathi theatre plays. Mrinal has worked as a writer and director in a few Marathi films like ‘Prem Mhanje Prem Mhanje Prem Asta’ (2013; directorial debut), ‘Rama Madhav’ (2014), and ‘Ti and Ti’ (2019).
She was also featured in a few TV commercials such as Vicco Turmeric Skin Cream, Krishna Milk, and Brooke Bond Red Label.
In 2021, she played the role of Deep’s mother in the ZEE5 Hindi web series ‘Jeet Ki Zid.’
- 2001: Screen Award in the Best Actress category for the Marathi film Jodidar
- 2018: Suryadatta National Award for Acting
- 2018: Black Swan Award for “Outstanding Contribution in the Field of Marathi Films & Television” Award at India’s Greatest Brands & Leaders 2017-18 Awards & Summit
- After completing her graduation, she wanted to pursue a PhD degree from SNDT Women’s University in Mumbai, but as she started getting more offers for acting, she quit the idea of further studies. In an interview, while talking about it, she said,
I was offered Shrikant. I did it in order to work with talented actors like Farooque Sheikh. Yet, I was so sure that I wanted to finish my PhD. I wasn’t comfortable doing the kind of roles that were being offered to me. So I enrolled myself for research at SNDT University. Meanwhile, I got married. I had a son. The offers kept coming. Then in 1996, Sanjay Khan offered me a choice of roles in The Great Maratha. I refused it outright, but he insisted that I should at least hear him out. He offered me a choice between playing the role of Mahadji Scindia’s wife and Ahilyabai Holkar. By the end of the meeting, Ahilyabai Holkar’s role had caught my fancy. It was then that I thought that I’d take up acting as a profession.”
- In 2009, she did her training in Kathak under the renowned Kathak guru Pandit Uma Dogra Ji for the Hindi TV serial ‘Meera.’
- She has been associated as a cancer activist with an NGO named CanConnect in Mumbai, for a very long time.
- Mrinal is a spiritual person and has a deep faith in Lord Ganesha.
- She is a dog lover and has a pet dog named Eva.
- In her leisure time, she loves to travel and read books.