Badruddin Ajmal is the president of All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF) and three-time (2009, 2014, and 2019) Member of Parliament from Assam’s Dhubri Lok Sabha constituency. Apart from being a politician, he is also an established businessman, industrialist, philanthropist, and social worker.
Badruddin Ajmal was born in Ali Nagar village, located in Assam’s Hojai district. His full name is Badruddin Ajmal Qasmi. ummid.com There is a confusion about his official date of birth. According to one source, he was born on Sunday, 12 February 1950 (age 70 years; as of 2020); however, according to another source, his year of birth is 1956 (age 66 years as of 2020). Ajmal completed Fazil-e Deoband (Equivalent to Masters Degree in Islamic Theology and Arabic) from Darul Uloom Deoband, UP, and joined his family business in 1975.
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
Badruddin’s father, Haji Ajmal Ali, was a rice farmer who travelled to Mumbai in 1951 and transformed into a perfumer. Later, Haji Ajmal Ali established his own perfume company by the name “Ajmal Perfumes,” which was taken over by his children after his death.
Maulana Badruddin Ajmal has four siblings: Mohammad Amir Uddin Ajmal Ali, Mohammad Sirajuddin Ajmal (former MP), Fakhruddin Ajmal, and Abdulla Ajmal.
Wife & Children
Badruddin Ajmal got married to Rezwana Ajmal on 30 December 1979. The couple has seven children: six sons and one daughter. Two of his sons, Abdur Rahim Ajmal and Abdur Rehman Ajmal, are also active in politics.
As a Politician
In 2005, he formed a political party by the name, Assam United Democratic Front (AUDF) which was later renamed All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF) prior to the 2009 Lok Sabha Election. In 2006, he was elected as the Member of Assam Legislative assembly simultaneously from two constituencies- South Salmara and Jamunamukh. Altogether, his party managed to win 10 seats in its maiden election. This was a big breakthrough for Badruddin Ajmal, who was not even recognised by the then CM of Assam, Tarun Gogoi, prior to the election. Then in the 2009 Lok Sabha polls, Badruddin Ajmal won from Dhubri Lok Sabha seat by defeating the sitting INC MP Anowar Hussain.
Since then, he has managed to retain the Dhubri seat in 2014 and 2019 Lok Sabha polls. Assam has 14 Lok Sabha seats, and Ajmal’s party AIUDF won 3 out of these. After this, his stature in Assam and the politics of the country grew stronger.
As a Businessman
There is no doubt that Ajmal’s political party has emerged as the third most important link in Assam politics; however, his identity is not only because of politics. He runs the world-renowned perfume producing company “Ajmal Perfumes.” In 2011, the company reported a turnover of Rs. 1,475 crores. Moreover, his business is not limited to perfumes, but it is spread from real estate to the leather industry, tea production, health services, and education.
- He is the president of an NGO Markazul Ma’arif, which runs schools, hospitals, orphanages with the only motto of striving for the upliftment of economically and educationally deprived section of society. Besides that, the NGO also facilitates many other social, educational, and economic development activities around different places in India. Since its establishment in 1982, the organisation has done immense work for the benefit of the people in the fields of poverty, illiteracy, and basic immunisation, especially in Assam and other northeastern states.
- He is the managing trustee of Haji Abdul Majid Memorial Public Trust, Hojai. This trust is best known for the construction of the multi-crore charitable hospital Haji Abdul Majid Memorial Hospital and Research Center in Hojai, Assam.
- He is also the head of Assam’s Jamiat Ulama-e-Assam and Tanzim Madaris-e Quamia — All Assam Non-government Madrasa Board that prepares the syllabus and conducts examinations throughout the state for more than 400 madrasas. He is also associated with a number of other schools, madrasas, and orphanages, either as a Chairperson or a Secretary in different parts of Northeast India.
- He is the Chairperson of Markazul Ma’arif Education and Research Centre (MMERC), Mumbai — an institution that caters the modern needs of the madrasa graduates by teaching them English language and also encourages research works in socio-religious and economic domains. In 2006 the Ajmal family came out with another noble idea and facilitated higher education for women in Assam through the ‘Maryam Ajmal Women’s College of Science & Technology’ at Hojai. Note: Apart from all the above associations, he is associated with several other socio-economic organisations and non-government bodies.
Kids always feel delighted whenever they get new dress from their parents but kids who lost parents feel deprived of this moment. Today I feel inner happiness with inviting orphan students of Ajmal Modern Residential School at Ajmal House & facilitating them with new dresses. pic.twitter.com/0RRSXHaXya
— Maulana Badruddin Ajmal (@BadruddinAjmal) March 11, 2020
- In December 2017, Badruddin Ajmal abused and threatened a journalist during a press conference upon being asked whether he would join the alliance with the BJP or the INC. Ajmal received heavy criticism in the aftermath of the incident. Also, the journalist registered an FIR against him after which Ajmal apologised for his behaviour. The Wire
#WATCH AIUDF Chief Badruddin Ajmal in Hatsingimari, Assam threatens to smash head of journalist who asked him if he'll ally with Congress or BJP in future: Go dogs, for how much money have you been bought by BJP? Go away, I will smash your head. Go register a case against me. pic.twitter.com/XQvp5mZ4it
— ANI (@ANI) December 26, 2018
- In October 2019, Badruddin Ajmal sparked a controversy when he blatantly rejected Assam’s two-child policy. He said,
Muslims will continue to produce children, they will not listen to anyone. Our religion and I personally believe that those who want to come to the world will come and no one can stop it.”
- In November 2020, AIUDF chief Badruddin Ajmal was exposed to public contempt when several members of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) shared a video claiming that people raised “Pakistan Zindabad” slogans while they welcomed Badruddin at the Silchar Airport. The same day AIUDF held a press conference and rubbished the claims stating it as an attempt by the BJP along with some media channels to malign AIUDF by distorting the actual slogan ‘Aziz Khan Zindabad’ to ‘Pakistan Zindabad.’ Alt News
Look at the brazenness of these fundamentalists anti-national people who are shouting PAKISTAN ZINDABAD while they welcome MP @BadruddinAjmal.
— Himanta Biswa Sarma (@himantabiswa) November 6, 2020
Press Statement by AIUDF on cheap politics by BJP, how they along with a section of media distorted the slogan 'Aziz Khan Zindabad' into 'Pakistan Zindabad'. pic.twitter.com/obzPASSLNg
— AIUDF Official (@AIUDFOfficial) November 6, 2020
- In December 2020, Satya Ranjan Borah, a BJP member, lodged an FIR against Badruddin’s “Ajmal Foundation,” a public charitable trust, alleging that the organisation has been receiving funds from foreign agencies that have links with terrorist outfits. The complaint filed was based on a report by the Legal Rights Observatory (LRO), a legal rights organisation affiliated with the Hindu-nationalist organisation Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS). NDTV While speaking with a media correspondent, Badruddin Ajmal rubbished the allegations levelled at Ajmal foundation and also denied receiving funds from any terror-linked foreign agency. He said that the FIR filed against him is a part of a political conspiracy that has been hatched by the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party’s leader in Assam, Himanta Biswa Sarma, to discredit him, his party (AIUDF), and the Ajmal Foundation. He also demanded a probe at the highest level to unfurl the truth. Badruddin Facebook
- Ajmal and his three elder brothers were born in a madrasa in his village.
- Several times his name has been included in the World’s 500 Most Influential Muslim list by The Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre (RISSC) for his role in the Philanthropy, Charity, and Development activities.
- Father of 7 children, Badruddin Ajmal, is one of the two members of the Indian Parliament who have the most number of children.