Kodi Ramakrishna was an Indian film director and Screenwriter in the South Indian Cinema (mainly Telugu). He was known for his movies Arundhati (2009), Gudachari No.1 (1983), Murali Krishnudu (1988), Muddula Menalludu, Ankusham, etc.
Ramakrishna was born on 23 July 1955 (Age: 63, at the time of death) at Palakollu in West Godavari district, Andhra Pradesh. He received his education from Andhra University, Andhra Pradesh.
The names of his family members are not known. He was married in his life and had a son and a daughter.
In 1982, he made his directorial debut in Tollywood with Intlo Ramayya Veedhilo Krishnayya. His career spanned for almost 3 decades. During this period, he directed more than 100 films. Apart from being a director, Ramakrishna was also a successful screenwriter and actor. He starred in several films such as Mudilla Muchata (1985), Attagaaroo Swagatam (1986), Inti Donga (1987), Aasti Mooredu Aasha Baaredu (1995), and Dongaata (1997).
In 2012, he was conferred with Raghupathi Venkaiah Award for his contribution in Telugu Cinema. Apart from it, he received three Lifetime Achievement Awards, one Filmfare Award for Satruvu (1990), Tollywood film award for Arundathi (2009), and many others.
A few years ago, Ramakrishna had suffered a heart stroke and paralytic attack, however, he fully recovered soon due to proper medical treatment. On 21 February 2019, Ramakrishna felt unease and complained of breathlessness. He was hospitalized in AIG hospitals at Gachibowli in Hyderabad. He was undergoing treatment in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and was kept on the ventilator (life supporting system). However, his health conditions deteriorated and eventually passed away due to kidney failure in the afternoon on 22 February 2019.
- His movies usually had a strong social message and were based on rural background.
- Aahuti, Ammoru, Mangammagari Manavadu, Devi, Arundhati Maa Aavida Collector, Devudu, Satruvu, Deviputrudu were among his hit films.
- His movie Mangamma Gari Manavadu has been screened for 500 days.
- His another movie ‘Tarangini’ has the record run of 365 days.
- Ramakrishna always said that his achievements were not complete without the help of his producers.
- Ramakrishna introduced some actors; Bhanu Chander, Arjun, Suman, etc.
- Andhra Pradesh chief minister N Chandrababu Naidu offered his condolences on his death on Twitter.