Jayaram Subramaniam, popularly known as Jayaram, is an Indian actor who mostly works in the South Indian film industry. He has won various awards for his performance in numerous Tamil, Telugu, and Malayalam language films.
Jayaram Subramaniam was born on Friday, 10 December Malavika Jayaram – Instagram 1965 (age 57 years; as of 2022) in Perumbavoor, Kerala. Jayaram grew up in Perumbavoor town in Kerala. Onmanorama He studied at Government Boys High School in Perumbavoor. Later, Jayaram went to Sree Sankara College, Kalady, Kerala, and pursued a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics. According to the sources, after completing his studies at college, Jayaram worked as a medical representative. As per reports, Jayaram pursued a graduate course in Chenda from the National Institute of Ulsavam Sciences & Technology in Thrissur, Kerala.
Height (approx.): 5′ 9″
Weight (approx.): 80 kg
Hair Colour: Black (dyed)
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest: 42 inches, Waist: 32 inches, Biceps: 15 inches
Parents & Siblings
Jayaram’s father’s name is Subramaniyam Iyer, and his mother’s name is Thankam (deceased). Being second to the three children, Jayaram has an elder brother named Venkit Ram (deceased), and a younger sister, Manjula.
Wife & Children
On 7 September 1992, Malavika Jayaram – Instagram Jayaram Subramaniam married Aswathi (stage name Parvathy), a former Indian actress, classical dancer, and costume designer, who appeared in Malayalam films. Jayaram and Awasthi first met in 1988. Jayaram Subramaniam – Instagram
Jayaram and Awasthi have two children namely Kalidas Jayaram, and Malavika Jayaram. Kalidas is a Tamil and Malayalam actor.
Reportedly, while working together, Jayaram and Awasthi were dating each other.
Jayaram made his debut with Padmarajan’s mystery thriller ‘Aparan’ in 1988. He appeared as Vishwanathan (protagonist) and Uthaman (antagonist) in the film; Jayaram played the dual role.
He made his debut in Tamil language films with the movie ‘Gokulam’ as ‘Chellappa’ in 1993.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
Kerala State Film Awards
- In 2000, he won the Kerala State Film Award for the Second Best Actor for the film ‘Swayamvaram Panthal.’ News 18
Tamil Nadu State Film Awards
- In 1998, Jayaram won the Best Actor Award for his performance in the film ‘Sneham.’
- Jayaram Subramaniam won the Best Supporting Actor Award for his performance in the film ‘Panchathanthiram’ in 2002.
Asianet Film Awards
- In 1998, he won the Best Actor Award for the film ‘Sneham.’
- In 2001, Jayaram received the Best Actor Award for his work in the movies titled ‘Uthaman’ and ‘Theerthadanam.’
- In 2008, Jayaram Subramaniam won the Most Popular Actor Award for ‘Veruthe Oru Bharya’ in which he appeared as ‘Sugunan.’
- In 2011, he received the Most Popular Actor Award for the film ‘Swapna Sanchari.’
- In 2012, he was conferred with the Special Commemoration.
- In 2014 and 2018, he won the Golden Star of the Year Award.
Asianet Comedy Awards
- In 2017, Jayaram received the Best Actor Award for ‘Achayans.’
South Indian International Movie Awards (SIIMA)
- In 2012, Jayaram Subramaniam was nominated for the Best Comedian Award for his work in ‘Thuppakki.’
- Jayaram was nominated for the SIIMA Awards under the category of Best Actor in a Negative Role (Telugu) for ‘Bhaagamathie’ in 2019.
- In 1996, Jayaram won the Sini Best Actor Award and the Rotary Club Award for the film ‘Thooval Kottaram.’
- In 2002, he was conferred with V. Shantaram Award for his performance in ‘Shesham.’
- In 2008, Jayaram Subramaniam was conferred with the J. C. Daniel Award, considered Kerala’s highest award in Malayalam cinema, for his performance in ‘Veruthe Oru Bharya.’
- In 2011, he won Sathyan Award for Lifetime Achievement. He won the Jaihind TV Award for Best Actor for ‘Kadha ‘Thudarunnu.’
- Jayaram won the Vayalar Film Award in the category of Best Actor for ‘Nadan’ and ‘Swapaanam,’ and the Kerala Kalamandalam M. K. K. Nair Puraskaram in 2014.
- Actor: Suresh Gopi
- Actress: Meena Kumari
- Destination: London
- Apart from being an established actor, Jayaram Subramaniam is a proficient percussionist, mimicry artist, and farmer. Jayaram Subramaniam – Instagram
- Jayaram is an avid animal lover, especially Elephants.
- In an interview, it was revealed that Jayaram is so fond of animals since his childhood that as a kid, he used to collect pictures of elephants while his friends were busy collecting matchboxes and labels. Recalling those moments from childhood, Jayaram said,
- According to some sources, Jayaram was once invited to the Thrissur temple as a chief guest where he was supposed to anoint an elephant named Padmanabhan as the ‘Gajaraja.’ Deccan ChronicleAfter looking at the elephant, Jayam identified it as his beloved elephant from childhood. Deccan Chronicle According to Jayaram, he was informed a couple of years later that the said elephant passed away; however, its tusks were transferred to him in a legal manner, and Jayaram placed them in his drawing room in honour. Deccan Chronicle
- In honour of stories of elephants heard from his grandmother in childhood, Jayaram came out with a book titled ‘Aalkoottathil Oranapokkam.’ Deccan Chronicle
- According to the sources, the first copy of ‘Aalkoottathil Oranapokkam’ was given to Jayaram’s own elephant’s mahout; Deccan Chronicles Jayaram’s elephant was featured in many movies. Deccan Chronicles While talking about his experience in writing a book, Jayaram said,
People used to ask me why I did not write despite being a relative of Malayatoor Ramakrishnan. Of course I always wanted to write but did not want to attempt any great literature. Neither did I want to write my autobiography. What is there to write? As a person who loves animals even more than humans, I zeroed in on this topic.” Deccan Chronicles
- According to Jayaram, the Tamil actor Ajith and his wife Shalini are his family friends. Onmanorama
- Jayaram Subramaniam is the nephew of a well-known Indian writer of Malayalam literature and cartoonist, Malayatoor Ramakrishnan.
- In 2020, through a post on social media, Jayaram revealed that he quit smoking long time ago. Jayaram Subramaniam – Instagram
- In an interview, Jayaram revealed that he would only have gravy from a non-vegetarian dish. Onmanorama
- Jayaram Subramaniam is a fitness enthusiast. He often shares his intense workout videos on social media. Jayaram Subramaniam – Instagram