Hima Das or ‘The Golden Girl’ is an Indian athlete who won India’s first track and field gold medal at the IAAF World Championships in 2018. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated her on Twitter after she won the gold medal in the World U20 Championship.
Hima Das was born on Sunday, 9 January 2000 (age 21 years; as of 2021) in Dhing, Nagaon, Assam. Her zodiac sign is Capricorn.
Young Hima was initially interested in football before she got into track sports and she used to play football with boys. Nipon (Hima’s Coach) spotted her during an inter-district meet. While talking about this in an interview, Nipon said,
She was wearing cheap spikes, but she won gold in the 100 and 200. She ran like the wind. I hadn’t seen such a talent in ages.”
Physical Stats & More
Height (approx.): 5’ 5”
Weight (approx.): 50 kg
Hair Colour: Brown (Right side of the head is dyed Blonde)
Eye Colour: Black
Track and Field
- Coach- Nipon Das
- International Debut: IAAF World U20 Championships (2018)
- Her main records are – In the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships, she won the Gold medal in 400 meters, clocking a time of 51.46 seconds and became the first Indian track athlete to win a gold in the World Championships in any track event.
- She won a Silver Medal in the Asian Games 2018 held in Indonesia.
- She won a Silver Medal at the 2018 Asian Games in Women’s 4 x 400 m relays and won a Gold Medal in Women’s 400 metres.
- On 5 July 2019, she won gold in women’s 200m at the Poznan Athletics Grand Prix in Poland.
- In August 2018, she won a Silver Medal in the Asian Games held in Indonesia.
Hema Das belongs to a Hindu Family. Her father, Ronjit Das, is a rice farmer. Her mother’s name is Jomali. She has 5 siblings.
- Track Athlete: Ashwini Akkunji
- Football Player: Nicolás Vélez (Argentina)
- Singer: Zubeen Garg
- Films: Mon Jaai, Mission China
- Her hobbies include playing football, shooting, listening to music and watching movies.
- Hima’s coach pressurised her to shift to Guwahati, 140 km away from her village and convinced her that she had a future in athletics. Initially, her parents were hesitant to let her go, but later they agreed.
- Along with the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the Indian President Ram Nath Kovind, also congratulated her on Twitter for her achievements.
- The Athletics Federation of India (AFI) mocked her English before her winning event. However, they, later, apologised when Das grabbed the gold medal.
- In the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia, Hima finished 6th in the women’s 400- meter finals.
- On 1 November 2019, she appeared on the special “Karamveer” show of KBC season 11 along with Dutee Chand.
- On 26 February 2021, she was inducted as a Deputy Superintendent (DSP) in Assam Police in Guwahati. After getting bestowed with this honour, Hima Das said,
This has come as a part of government’s policy. I will focus on sports for now. I will join the service after retiring from sports.”