Faaiz Anwar is an Indian poet and lyricist known for his work in the Hindi film industry. In 2023, he appeared as a guest in the celebrity talk show ‘The Kapil Sharma Show,’ on Sony TV.
Faaiz Anwar was born on Tuesday, 9 March 1965 (age 58 years; as of 2023) in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh. In 1988, he moved to Mumbai to pursue a career in the film industry as a lyricist.
Height (approx.): 5′ 9″
Hair Colour: Semi-Bald
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
There is not much information about his parents and siblings.
Wife & Children
He is married. His son, Farzan Faaiz, is a singer and music director.
Faaiz Anwar started her career in 1989 as a lyricist in the film industry with the title track of the film ‘Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin’ (1991). The song became a huge success in the music industry and dominated the popular radio program Cibaca Geetmala for almost two years.
He wrote six songs for the film ‘Jaanam’ which was released in 1993. In the same year, the film ‘Tum Karo Vaada’ was released in which three songs were written by Faaiz Anwar. In 2000, he wrote the songs for the film ‘Baaghi,’ starring Sanjay Dutt. The song ‘Aaoge Jab Tum’ that he wrote for the film ‘Jab We Met’ (2007) received immense appreciation from the audience. In 2010, he wrote the song ‘Tere Mast Mast Do Nain’ for the film ‘Dabangg,’ which became a superhit song and topped the music, radio and streaming charts for a long time.
He wrote two songs ‘Chikni Kamar Pe Teri’ and ‘Chamak Challo Chel Chabeli’ for the film ‘Rowdy Rathore’ (2012). He has written songs for various films including ‘Imtihaan’ (1994), ‘Surakshaa’ (1995), ‘Yeh Zindagi Ka Safar’ (2001), ‘Chand Bujh Gaya’ (2005), ‘Veerey Ki Wedding’ (2018).
In 1997, he wrote the songs for the album ‘I Love You,’ which were sung by the popular singer Udit Narayan. In 1999, he wrote the songs for the album ‘Deewana,’ sung by Sonu Nigam. He has written songs for various albums including ‘Jaan,’ ‘Yaad,’ ‘Aashiqui,’ ‘Love Is Life,’ ‘Tujhse Pyar Hai,’ and ‘Sitara.’
- Won ‘Album of the Year’ award at Mirchi Music Awards for the song ‘Tere Mast Mast Do Nain’ in 2010
- Nominated for ‘Lyricist of the Year’ award at Mirchi Music Awards for the song ‘Tere Mast Mast Do Nain’ in 2010
Note: He has many more accolades and awards to his name.
- In an interview, Anwar revealed an interesting fact about his entry into the film industry. He said that during the 1980s, the popular music director RD Burman was working on a song for one of his films but could not find a suitable lyricist. By chance, he came across one of Faaiz Anwar’s interviews in a newspaper and decided to reach out to him. Burman contacted Anwar and invited him to his home. During their meeting, Burman handed Anwar a music tape and asked him to write lyrics for it. At that very moment, Anwar wrote the lyrics of the title track of the film ‘Tum Karo Vaada’ (1993) within 15-20 minutes. RD Burman was highly impressed by Anwar’s talent and subsequently selected him to write three songs for the film. This marked Anwar’s debut in the film industry. However, the release of the film ‘Tum Karo Vaada’ was postponed, and it ended up being released after Anwar’s first released song ‘Dil Hai Ki Manta Nahi’ (1991).
- In an interview, he talked about getting his debut film ‘Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahi.’ He said that while Mahesh Bhatt was working on the film ‘Aashiqui’ (1990) and had the music ready for the last song of the film. Despite approaching many established lyricists, Mahesh Bhatt was unable to find a suitable lyricist. Then, he turned to Faaiz Anwaar and requested him to write the lyrics for the song. Anwar, on the spot, wrote the lyrics of the song ‘Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin’ within 40 minutes. Upon listening to the song, Bhatt got highly impressed and finalised the song as the last song of the film ‘Aashiqui.’ However, due to some reason, the song was shifted from the film. Instead, it became the title track for another film, ‘Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahi’ (1991).
- Anwar was inclined toward writing poetry since childhood. He started writing ‘shayri’ and ‘ghazals’ at a very young age.
- In 1999, Sonu Nigam sang the songs of the album ‘Deewana,’ written by Faaiz Anwar. The album proved a breakthrough for the singer.
- Anwar considers contemporary songs to be non-poetic and non-philosophical. However, in an interview, he admitted that he too has to write these kinds of songs at the demand of the film producers. While talking about it in the interview, he also mentioned his song ‘Chikni Kamar Pe Teri’ that he wrote for the film ‘Rowdy Rathore’ (2012). He said,
It is true that its style is not poetic or philosophical, but it has to be done by looking at the time.”
- In an interview, he was asked whether his songs had ever been stolen to which he replied that his songs were not stolen; rather, he had sold his songs while facing financial hardship in his life. He said,
It was not stolen, but I sold my songs and sold them for a very good price. For one song, I charged the equivalent of ten songs. If you ask for whom did it, I will not tell. Money was my need and I cannot say that my compulsion was taken advantage of. I don’t have any complaints.”