Dinesh Kanagaratnam is a Sri Lankan rapper, singer, and music producer. He is known for prominently working in the Tamil music industry. He has worked with popular music artists including A. R. Rahman, Santhosh Narayanan, Anirudh Ravichander, Harris Jayaraj, and more. In 2022, he participated as a contestant in the Tamil version of the reality TV show ‘Bigg Boss’ season 6.
Aaryan Dinesh Kanagaratnam was born on Sunday, 30 August 1981
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
He belongs to a Tamil Muslim family in
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Kanagaratnam Sinnasamy, and his mother’s name is Buwaneshwary Kanagaratnam. He has a sister named Dharshi Shatrugan Ram.
Wife & Children
He follows the Islam religion.
In 2004, Dinesh worked as a rapper for the first time with Sri Lankan music artists Bathiya and Santhush; he debuted with the song ‘Naan Sonnal.’ In 2008, he worked with an Indian musician, Vijay Antony, on the song ‘Aathichudi’ from the 2009 Tamil film ‘TN 07 AL 4777.’ His breakthrough song was ‘Magudi Magudi,’ from the 2012 Tamil film ‘Kadal,’ in which he worked with famous music artist A. R. Rahman for the first time. After the song became popular, his Instagram and Facebook accounts got verified, and he got an agent to manage him. In 2014, he sang the song ‘Oh Nanba’ from the popular film ‘Lingaa’ starring Rajinikanth. In 2016 he lent his voice to many songs including ‘Showkali,’ ‘Thalli Pogadhey,’ ‘Vellipomaakey,’ and more. He sang the song ‘Rockstar Robber’ from the 2019 Tamil film “Sindhubaadh.” He launched his own record label, Rap Machines, with rapper Sri Rascol. Some of the songs that are released under his label are ‘Roar’ (2021), ‘Patchai’ (2021), ‘Rider Fighter’ (2022), ‘Thuppuran’ (2022), ‘Lityananda’ (2022), and more.
In 2005, he released his debut album titled ‘Cross Culture,’ which consisted of songs in Tamil, Sinhala, and English languages.
In 2012, he released another album titled ‘Aaryan;’ the album consisted of 14 tracks and included collaborations with multiple artists such as Benny Dayal, Jacki B, Rabbit Mac, Archana Sellathurai, and more.
- Won 3 awards for Best Sri Lankan Tamil Video at Derana Music Video Awards in 2013
- Won award for Best Dance Song for ‘Hollaback Muniamma’ at VIMA Awards 2014
- Nominated for Best Hip Hop Song for ‘Mattakuliya Killa’ at VIMA Awards 2014
- Dinesh Kanagaratnam’s stage name is ADK, which is made by using the initial letters of his full name, Aaryan Dinesh Kanagaratnam.
- In an interview, while talking about, the days when he used to work in IT companies, and how he got influenced to become a rapper, he said,
At 23, I was working in an IT company in Colombo, and there was a musician called Shri, whom I got to know. He was close to a big Sri Lankan musician called Bathiya Jayakody. I got an opportunity to do some design work for their CD cover, as I was a designer too. It was interesting, there I was, this guy with zero musical knowledge, no training, nor any background in the field. It took me about 2 years to groom myself before I began my career as a singer. I used to just sing hooks and choruses for my friends’ rap songs, but I wasn’t doing a good job.” Varnam
- In an interview, he shared how Malaysian rappers rapping in proper Tamil influenced him to rap in Tamil, he said,
My friends and I used to hang out in a saloon called Raja Saloon in Colombo. There, for the first time, I heard Yogi B and Natchatra’s tunes. This was my first time hearing these Malaysian rappers rapping in proper Tamil, and I was blown away. Instantly, I wanted to try my hand at it. My hurdle was that I didn’t know how to read and write Tamil at the time. But I persisted, and began writing what I felt, and it developed from there.” Varnam
- He is a fitness enthusiast and likes to do cycling and cardio.
- Dinesh is non-vegetarian and likes Sri Lankan food. He learned cooking from her mother.
- In 2022, he featured on vocals for the featured soundtrack of Disney+ Hotstar’s TV miniseries ‘Ms. Marvel.’
- He considers musician A. R. Rahman as his music guru.
- In an Instagram post in 2021, he revealed that after smoking for 22 years, he quit smoking in 2020.