Anubhav Singh Bassi is one of the best-selling Indian stand-up comedians and a YouTube sensation. He is best known for his YouTube videos titled ‘Cheating,’ ‘Waxing,’ and ‘Hostel.’ He is famous among the youth for his nostalgic content. Retrospective comedy is his USP. Most of his sets are based on his past experiences with his friends at school and college. It was his YouTube debut in 2019 titled ‘Cheating’, which made him a star overnight.
Anubhav Singh Bassi was born on Wednesday, 9 January 1991 (age 29 years; as in 2020), and hails from Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, India. He did his schooling from Dewan Public School in Meerut, and then, he pursued a five year integrated LLB programme from Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University in Faizabad, Uttar Pradesh. Later, he turned into a UPSC aspirant; however, he didn’t prosper in the UPSC examination.
Height (approx.): 6′ 1″
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Black
Family & Caste/Ethnicity
He belongs to a Jat YouTube family of Meerut, Uttar Pradesh.
Parents & Siblings
Not much is known about Anubhav’s parents. His younger sister’s name is Ruchi Aniruddh Singh who is a homoeopathic medical officer.
As a Stand-up Comedian
Anubhav tried a lot of career options before turning into a stand-up comedian; starting off as a lawyer. Next, he started a fast-food restaurant, but at his utter disappointment, he failed at it too. Then, he pursued a job in a law firm, but soon, realised that the nine-to-five job wasn’t meant for him. So, he started visiting open mics in his spare time. One day, in 2017, he googled about an open mic, happening at the ‘Canvas Laugh Club’ and landed there to perform. When asked by the host whether he had a script, he murmured,
Apni bezzati toh kar hi lenge”
The audience, as well as the organisers, loved his sets and invited him to perform the following day as well. Since then, there was no looking back.
As a YouTuber
Anubhav Singh Bassi made his YouTube debut with the video titled ‘Cheating’ in 2019. The video went viral and made Anubhav a star overnight. During an interview, he said,
Before posting it, I thought, ‘If this video hits 5 million views, I would feel like I’ve achieved something for my hard work’. The video started gaining views by a million a day. I stopped looking when it reached 4 million.
Anubhav Singh Bassi has received YouTube Golden Button for crossing 10,00,000 subscribers and has over 1.88 million subscribers (as in 2020).
Anubhav Singh Bassi’s YouTube’s net worth is around $ 100k and he charges around INR 4 lakh per show. Nutty Spot
- Anubhav Singh Bassi is an occasional smoker and drinker. He is often found posting pictures while enjoying drinks on social media platforms. In his famous stand-up set ‘Hostel,’ he said,
Pehle toh main college pahuncha, mujhe gaanja mil gaya. Maine phooka, semester khatam ho gaya.” YouTube
- Since his childhood, Anubhav was an all-rounder student. In a TEDx Talks video, he revealed that he wanted to explore every field. So, he extensively took part in various extra-curricular activities, like debate, extempore, singing, dancing, theatre, etc., as well as sports in his school days.
- In 2008, during his school days, Anubhav was badged as the head boy at Dewan Public School (Meerut).
- A YouTube video titled ‘Cheating’ is recognised as his first upload. But a lesser-known fact is that his first video was a set on lawyers that he uploaded on his Facebook account.
- Unlike other stand-up comedians, Anubhav doesn’t upload many videos on his YouTube channel. His YouTube channel has three stand-up videos only (as in 2020). When asked in an interview, “Why don’t you post much content on your channel,” he replied,
I am a live performer. For me, to develop content, I need a live audience. Without that, we would never know if the line or the joke is actually funny or not.”
- Anubhav used to idolise Zakir Khan while he was struggling to be a stand-up comedian. In an interview, when asked whom does he look upto in stand-up comedy, he replied,
As far as content is concerned, my biggest inspiration is Zakir Khan. But I look up to everyone, even those people who aren’t doing well, but are really funny.’
- Anubhav has toured almost 35 cities in India; performing his comedy gig, ‘Bas Kar Bassi,’ in a span of six months, with sold-out shows.
References [ + ]