Anu Malik is an Indian music composer and singer who primarily sings and composes music for Bollywood movies. He is popularly known to the mega music composers of the 90s.
Anu Malik was born as ‘Anwar Sardar Malik’ on 2 November 1960 (age 58 years; as in 2019) in Mumbai. His zodiac sign is Scorpio.
Weight: 85 kg
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Wife
Anu Malik is the son of veteran music composer, Sardar Malik and his wife, Kausar Jahan Malik.
He has two brothers named Daboo Malik (music director, composer, singer, and actor) and Abu Malik (film score composer). Anu Malik married Anju Malik, and the couple has two daughters named Ada Malik and Anmol Malik (singer).
He has three nephews and a niece. Armaan Malik (singer) and Amaal Mallik (music director) are the sons of Daboo Malik and his wife, Jyothi Malik.
Aadar Malik and Kasheesh Malik are the children of Abu Malik.
Anu Malik made his debut as a music composer with the movie “Hunterwali 77” in 1980.
He has created several commercially successful songs for the movies. He is known for the use of Tabla in his compositions. He finally got success after 16 years when he composed the music for the film, “Baazigar (1993).”
Apart from that, he has composed music from several movies like “Baazigar,” “Main Khiladi Tu Anari (1994),” “Ishq (1997),”Baadshah (1999),” “Josh (2000),” “Har Dil Jo Pyaar Karega (2000),” and “Fiza (2000).”
- There was a verbal dispute between singer Mika Singh and him on the sets of a reality show, where Mika came to promote his film “Loot.”
- He has been accused of plagiarising music for the movies like Murder, Akele Hum Akele Tum, Deewane Hue Pagal, Hmeshaa, Baazigar, Imtehaan, etc.
- In the 1990s, Singer Alisha Chinai alleged Anu Malik of sexually harassing her.
- During the #MeToo Movement in 2019, Anu Malik was accused of sexually harassing singers like Sona Mohapatra, Shweta Pandit, and Caralisa Monteiro. Sona Mohapatra termed him as ‘serial predator.’ Alisha Chinai also extended her support towards the singers and said, “Every word said and written about Anu Malik is true. I stand by all women who have finally spoken up. May they find peace and closure in their lives. Although, Malik denied all the allegations but had to leave the reality show, ‘Indian Idol’ as a backlash from the public.
- In October 2019, another popular Indian playback singer, Neha Bhasin also accused Malik of indecent behavior. Replying to Sona Mohapatra’s string of tweets criticizing the composer, Bhasin tweeted her allegation against Malik.
- National Award for the Best Music Direction for the film “Refugee” in 2001.
- Best Music Director for the film “Baazigar” in 1994
- Special Award for the film “Refugee” in 2001
- Best Music Director for the film “Main Hoon Na” in 2005
- Actor: Ranveer Singh
- Actress: Mumtaz, Madhubala
- Musicians: Whitney Houston, The Backstreet Boys
- He received his training in music from his father, Sardar Malik.
- Hasrat Jaipuri, a renowned lyricist, and poet was his maternal uncle.
- He made Ghulam Ali’s song in the film “Awaargi (1990), but R. D. Burman recorded the song.
- His composition “Chamma Chamma” was used in the 2001 Hollywood film “Moulin Rouge!.”
- Reportedly, the reason for him quitting Indian Idol in 2010 was singer Sunidhi Chauhan being paid 7.5 Lakh per episode as compared to him being paid with 5 Lakh only.
- He composed the pending music of R. D Burman after his death in films like Gang (2000), and Ghatak (1996).
- Reportedly, he can compose flat songs in just 20 minutes.
- He has composed music for more than 350 films.
- Every actor and actresses are identified by the song Anu Malik has given them including Urmila Matondkar- the ‘Chamma Chamma Girl,’ Shilpa Shetty – the ‘Chura Ke Dil Girl,’ Karisma Kapoor- the ‘Sexy Sexy Girl, and Tabu- ‘Rukh Rukh Girl.’
- He has worked with many singers, actors, and actresses, right from Mohammed Rafi and Lata Mangeshkar to Shreya Ghoshal; from Amitabh Bachchan to Varun Dhawan, and from Hema Malini to Anushka Sharma.
- Talking about his compositions, Anu Malik said-
I don’t believe in a bank of tunes. I may have hummed 25,000 tunes into cassettes and thrown them away. When a producer or director comes to me, I hum fresh tunes to them. I might have a bank of 35,000 tunes, but I don’t know where they are.”
- Initially, his name was written as ‘Annu.’ Anu contacted a numerologist, who asked Anu to remove an ‘N’ from his name. After changing his name to ‘Anu,’ he gave several hit Bollywood numbers and experienced great success.
- He credits his success to J. P. Dutta, who provided him with various opportunities and helped him achieve his goals.
- In 2019, Anu Malik was criticised for being reinstated as a judge on Indian Idol 11 even after having the #MeToo allegations imposed on him. On 21 November 2019, the singer stepped down as the judge of the show and said that he would come back only after clearing the allegations that were imposed on him by singers like Shweta Pandit, Sona Mohapatra, and Neha Bhasin. India Today