Abel James is an American author, musician, podcast host, and entrepreneur. He is known for being the founder and host of the popular health podcast ‘Fat-Burning Man.’
Abel James was born as ‘Abel James Bascom’ on Thursday, August 23, 1984 (age 36 years; as in 2020), in Meredith, New Hampshire. His zodiac sign is Leo. He did his schooling from New Hampton School, where he was distinguished as a valedictorian. He graduated as a senior fellow with honors from Dartmouth College, New Hampshire with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychological and Brain Sciences. He studied music at the Royal College of Music, London.
Eye Color: Blue
Hair Color: Dark Brown
Family & Ethnicity
Parents & Siblings
His mother is a holistic nurse practitioner and herbalist. His father used to work at a restaurant. He has an older brother who is an organic farmer.
Relationship & Wife
He got married to Alyson Bridge on January 3, 2015. The couple is living in Austin, Texas.
He started his career as a music instructor in 1999 and taught music theory and instruments for almost 7 years. At the same time, he worked as an eBay reseller. After his graduation, he started working as a senior consultant at Kaiser Electronics, a boutique strategy consulting firm, to pay off his loans. After working there for a year, he worked as an information services consultant and system designer at The Science of Information Institute for more than two years. He then worked for four years at Manhattan Strategy Group as a managing consultant. While working as a consultant, he was also running a health blog by the name of Honest Abes Tips. In 2011, he started his podcast and blog called ‘The Fat-Burning Man,’ to help gain fitness through Paleo, ancestral, and real food principles.
In March 2012, he published his first book ‘The Musical Brain.’
He has also written the books: Intro to Paleo (2012), The Wild Diet (2015), and Designer Babies Still Get Scabies: A Small Book of Mostly Silly Poetry (2019). Abel has also written cookbooks with George Bryant: Quick and Easy Paleo Crock Pot Recipes (2013), Quick and Easy Paleo Dessert Recipes (2013), Quick and Easy Paleo Side and Sauce Recipes (2013), and Quick and Easy Paleo Breakfast Recipes (2013).
In 2018, he launched ‘Wild Superfoods,’ which trades dietary supplements.
He is also a singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist; Abel has toured internationally and won several awards in writing and performance arts.
Awards & Achievements
- 100 Most Influential People in Health and Fitness by Greatist in 2015 and 2016
- Paleo F(x) – Best Paleo Podcast for ‘Fat-Burning Man’ in 2015
- Podcast Awards – People’s Choice Best Health and Fitness Podcast for ‘Fat-Burning Man’
- Mindshare Summit – Best Podcast for ‘Fat-Burning Man’
- ‘Fat-Burning Man Podcast’ listed in Huffington Post’s Top 3 Podcasts of All Time
- ‘Fat-Burning Man Podcast’ listed in Apple iTunes Top 1 in 8+ Countries
- Beverage: Coffee
- Dessert: Cheesecake
- Food: Pumpkin Pie, Bacon Bourbon Apple Pie
- Abel has keynoted for the Federal Government, given lectures at Ivy League universities, and has advised companies including Microsoft, Danaher, and Lockheed Martin.
- In 2013, he launched his cooking app called ‘Caveman Feast.’ With its release, Abel became the first independent publisher to hold the #1 food app and #6 app overall in Apple Store in 2013.
- While he was still working as a consultant, he suffered from obesity. He started visiting dieticians and nutritionists to help him with his obese body. However, it did not work for him. According to James,
I was already running 20, 30 miles a week. And after about a year of following that advice, I was about 30 plus pounds overweight. My thyroid had crapped out and I couldn’t really maintain my body temperature above 96 degrees. I was sweating all the time. I was puffy and I was a mess. All the problems that we were trying to avoid had showed up in my life even though I was in my early 20s. It wasn’t until then that I looked in the mirror and realize the state of my health because I used to be an athlete before that. And I looked like a 45-year-old man who was completely out of shape, and I’m just like, this clearly isn’t working. My life is a mess. Let’s make this a project. And within a few months, all of the weight had come off. I had a six-pack. I was basically transformed into a fat-burning man by doing the opposite of what that doctor was telling me to do. And by embracing basically that world of alternative health that I was raised in using a lot of plants and eating a lot of plant foods, but also not being afraid of fat.”
- In 2011, he participated in the Austin Marathon, an annual marathon held in Austin, Texas.
- He is a dog lover and owns a yellow labrador named ‘Bailey.’