Aafreen Vaz also known as Dr Aafreen Rachael Vaz is an Indian model and a doctor. She has bagged the position of first runner-up at Femina Miss India 2015. She is also a senior mental health clinician. In 2018, she was cast in an English mystery movie, ‘We Didn’t Kill Mia’ which was directed by Jai Tank.
Aafreen Vaz was born on Sunday, 23 December 1990 (age 31 years; as of 2022) in Mumbai, Maharashtra. citation She did her schooling at Hasanat High School in Mumbai. Aafreen moved to Auckland, New Zealand with her family at the age of 11. She went to Lynfield College in Auckland. She participated as a contestant in New Zealand’s Next Top Model in 2010 from where she received more recognition in the fashion industry and began her journey. Later, she returned back to India to pursue her education as a medical student.
Height (approx.): 5′ 11″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): 32-24-33
Aafreen belongs to a Hindu family from Mumbai.
Parents & Siblings
Aafreen’s father’s name is Calisto Vaz and her mother’s name is Lucy Vaz. She has a younger brother whose name is Aaron Vaz. Her father, Calisto Vaz is a former infantry officer in the Indian Army from Goa and her mother, Lucy Vaz is a former air hostess of Air India airlines from Mumbai.
During her childhood days, she used to spend time with her grandmother, who motivated Aafreen to dream about becoming a doctor, who does not treat patients improperly or in an unskilled manner and takes care of their health. To fulfil that dream, she came back to India and pursued Bachelor in Medicine and Surgery (MBBS) from the Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER) in Puducherry.
Miss India beauty pageant organised a contest for Campus Princess in 2015 at the JIPMER College, Puducherry where they picked her up as a contestant and she won. While studying as a medical student, she took part in different kinds of beauty pageants such as Femina Miss India 2015 where she grabbed the first runner-up position as well as won the title of Sofitel Miss Congeniality at the Miss India contest in 2015, then she went on to participate in Miss Supranational Asia & Oceania 2015 which was held in Poland and became the winner.
Aafreen Vaz has achieved so much success that she is considered ‘Beauty with Brain’ as she is one of those few people who has won multiple pageants while studying medicine. She believes herself to be very privileged; in an interview, she said,
I won’t lie. I am extremely privileged and for the most part, it is because my parents worked hard to ensure that I grew up knowing I could access anything to be anything I wanted to be. All I had to do was be honest with myself about who I am and put in the hard work to be who I wanted to be. I was allowed to experience, explore, change and grow.” India times
- Actres: Deepika Padukone
- Actor: Morgan Freeman
- Movie: The Notebook, Legally Blonde (Part 1), Black, P.K.
- Hobby: Reading, writing, dancing, modelling, public speaking
- Quote: “Be your own best friend.”
- When she was studying at college, they had a short film festival in which she participated. She directed a short film with the University of Arizona on Anti-tobacco where she participated in Campus Princess 2015, which was her first beauty pageant.
- Her advice to youth is “Follow your dreams and no one else’s. If it is truly something you desire you will find a way to get there, attempts don’t matter once you have achieved.”
- One rumour that she heard about herself was that she starts dancing as soon as she finds a corridor or room to herself be it anywhere.
- She calls herself a big foodie and loves to travel. She has been to various places including the USA, Honolulu, Japan, Bali, Australia and more.
- A dream that she wants to fulfil is to travel around the whole world.
- She considers Oprah Winfrey as her role model.
- Three qualities that she admires in a man are Confidence, loyalty and a good sense of humour.
- On being asked about one achievement that will make her feel that her life was a huge success, she replied,
To educate the rural women of our country on the importance of health checkups and self examinations. Once educated they can help with early detection of diseases like Breast Cancer and treatment becomes more effective. In a huge country like ours I would consider this life changing and life saving education for many.” India times
- According to her, there are three qualities that every woman should possess, Confidence- In who she is and her choices. Compassion- For every living being around her. Charisma- Because every woman has it. It’s just a matter of radiating it out.
- She has her own charity named the EDBF (Early Detection for Better Future) movement which aims to educate rural India on the importance of early detection in healthcare.
- In an interview, when she was asked about which law she would like to break, she said, she would like to vote even though as an OCI, she can’t. India times
- She is followed by 30.3k people on Instagram and has 16k followers on Facebook.