Satyendar Jain is an Indian politician. On 14 February 2015, he was appointed as one of the seven cabinet ministers by the Aam Aadmi Party led by Arvind Kejriwal in the Government of Delhi. In the ministry, he was allocated the portfolios of Health & Family Welfare, Industries, Home, Power, Water, Urban Development and Irrigation & Flood Control. In 2020, Satyendar Jain was appointed as the Delhi Health Minister for the third time.
Satyendar Jain was born on Saturday, 3 October 1964 (age 57 years; as of 2022) in Village Kirthal, District Baghpat, Uttar Pradesh. His zodiac sign is Libra. He completed his school education at Ramjas School, No.2, Delhi. Later, he moved to the Indian Institute of Architects, Mumbai to pursue a graduate degree in Architecture. Delhi Government Portal
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Ram Sharan Jain.
Wife & Children
His permanent address is E-1032, Saraswati Vihar, Delhi -110034.
Satyendar Kumar Jain began working at the Central Public Works Department (CPWD) soon after completing his college studies. Later, he quit the job and was planning to establish a consultancy firm related to architecture. In 2011, he joined the anti-corruption movement, which was initiated by Anna Hazare, and later, entered the Aam Aadmi Party to begin his career as a politician. He contested the Delhi assembly elections from Shakur Basti Assembly Constituency in 2013 and won the elections. On 28 December 2013, he was appointed as the Health & Family welfare, Gurudwara Elections and Industries Minister of the Delhi cabinet, and he served his first tenure till 14 February 2014. On 14 February 2015, he was appointed as the minister of the Health & Family Welfare, Industries, Home, PWD, Power, Water, Transport, Urban Development and Irrigation & Flood Control departments, and he served his second tenure till 13 February 2020. In 2020, he again won the Delhi assembly elections, with a margin of 7,592 votes, from the Shakur Basti Constituency for the third time, and was allotted the Delhi’s Health Ministry. The Aam Aadmi Party appointed Satyendar Kumar Jain as the in-charge of the Assembly election in Himachal Pradesh in 2022.
The Enforcement Directorate accused Satyendar Kumar Jain of a money laundering case in 2017, and soon a case was filed against him by CBI. Meanwhile, Kapil Mishra, a Delhi minister, communicated in a media conference that Satyendar Jain settled Rs. 50 crore deal with Arvind Kejriwal’s brother-in-law. Zee News Kapil Mishra stated,
Satyendar Jain (Delhi Health Minister) himself told me that he managed a Rs 50 crore land deal in Chhattarpur (south Delhi) for Kejriwal’s brother-in-law. The deal was finalised for the Bansal family.”
In 2018, this matter was closed and did not progress. In June 2022, the CBI and the ED conducted raids at his residence, and the probe agencies accused him of misleading the agencies by using his family members, including his two daughters. In their report, the probe agencies revealed that Jain’s wife and two daughters received crores of rupees from companies linked to Satyendar Jain. India Today
Money Laundering Charges
Arvind Kejriwal, the AAP supremo and the Delhi Chief Minister, stated in a media conference at the beginning of 2022 that the central government agencies were planning to arrest his cabinet minister Satyendar Kumar Jain in a fake and fraudulent money laundering case just before the 2022 Punjab Legislative Assembly election. On the other side, Satyendar Kumar Jain mentioned in a media conversation that he was ready to welcome the Enforcement Directorate officials to investigate him. Jain remarked,
They (ED) are welcome to come whenever they want. Even before this, they have raided me twice but all has been in vain. This is all politics and they did it during the last Punjab elections also. ED, CBI all are welcome. I am ready, if they want to arrest me, they can arrest me.”
In May 2022, the Enforcement Directorate detained Satyendar Kumar Jain in the 2017 money laundering case. The investigation documents revealed by the Enforcement Directorate stated that Satyendar Kumar Jain as a public servant accepted money worth Rs 4.81 crore from some shell (paper) companies against cash transferred to Kolkata-based entry operators through the hawala route. The Indian Express The transferred money was used for purchasing the land and repayment of loans, which were taken to purchase agricultural lands in and around Delhi. Aaj Tak CBI claimed,
Jain purchased 200 bighas of agricultural land in the names of companies controlled by him in Delhi in five years preceding 2018 and “laundered black money” to the tune of several crores of rupees.” The Wire
On 31 May 2022, Arvind Kejriwal stated on national television that he himself had scrutinised all the documents and his cabinet minister, Satyendar Jain was not guilty at all. Arvind Kejriwal further added that these documents were completely bogus. The Indian Express Kejriwal said,
I have personally read Satyendra Jain’s case filed by the ED and it is completely fake. All the actions that have been taken by centrally maintained agencies are politically motivated. And in this case, also Jain has been targeted because of political reasons. We have a very honest government, which neither tolerates nor does corruption. This case will not last long, the truth always wins in the end. We have faith in our judiciary.”
- Cash: Rs. 1,15,000
- Deposits in Banks: Rs. 12,97,200
- Bonds, Debentures and Shares: Rs. 1,28,77,867
- NSS, Postal Savings: Rs. 47,15,328
- LIC or other insurance Policies: Rs. 7,44,168
- Personal loans/advance: Rs. 24,53,470
- Motor Vehicles: Rs. 1,93,290
- Agricultural Land: Rs. 1,50,00,000
- Non Agricultural Land: Rs. 12,00,000
- His full name is Satyendar Kumar Jain.
- His hobbies include reading books and travelling to distant destinations such as Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Germany, the Czech Republic, France, Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand. Delhi Assembly Portal
- Satyendar Kumar Jain has worked voluntarily with the organisation Drishti, which works for the welfare of the visually impaired, and SPARSH, an organisation which looks after the needs of the physically and mentally challenged before joining the politics.
- In 2016, Satyendar Kumar Jain was criticised by some leaders of opposition in Delhi for recruiting his daughter, Soumya Jain, as an advisor to the health secretary-cum-mission director of the National Health Mission without any prior experience in the medical field. Reportedly, she was given the charge of the Delhi government’s epochal project, which provides free medical treatment to the walk-ins. This project runs in nearly 100 mohalla or neighbourhood clinics in Delhi. The opposition party leaders condemned Satyendar Kumar Jain’s nepotism approach by appointing his daughter to a reputed position without any experience. A BJP leader, Harish Khurana said,
This exposes the real face of Kejriwal, and this is not the first time Aam Aadmi Party or AAP volunteers and workers have been given cozy positions in the government.”
Soon after the news went viral in the media, Satyendar Kumar Jain explained that his daughter wanted to serve the people of Delhi as a volunteer with the Delhi Health mission. Satyendar Kumar stated,
She has secured admission in IIM Indore, but she is leaving all that to serve the people of Delhi. Soumya is involved with the Delhi Health mission as a volunteer. She has not been provided with any vehicle, house or money by the government.”
- According to some media sources, Satyendar Kumar Jain and Aam Aadmi Party head, Arvind Kejriwal, are close associates.
- As a health minister of the Delhi government, Satyendar Kumar Jain travelled from one hospital to another during the COVID-19 pandemic that hit India in 2020 for the second time. During this time, he was keeping an eye on the accuracy and improvement of health facilities for the COVID-19 patients in the Delhi hospitals. During this work, he caught the COVID-19 virus and went on leave. His department was taken over by the Deputy Chief Minister of Delhi, Manish Sisodia. However, Satyendar Jain stayed the minister of the Delhi cabinet without any department. On 20 June 2020, he recovered from the disease after he was given plasma therapy at a hospital in Saket residential colony in Delhi. On 2 May 2021, Satyendar Kumar Jain lost his father to COVID-19.
- In May 2022, the poet Kumar Vishwas tweeted a note soon after the arrest of Satyendar Kumar Jain by the ED in the money laundering case.
- Satyendar Kumar Jain regularly shares pictures and videos of the activities of the Aam Aadmi Party on various social media platforms. On Instagram, over 20.5k people follow him, and more than 110k people follow his Facebook page.