Renu Desai is an Indian actress, costume designer, filmmaker, producer, and former model. She is the second wife of the famous South Indian actor and politician Pawan Kalyan.
Renu Desai was born on Friday, 4 December 1981 (age 41 years; as of 2022) in Pune, Maharashtra. Her zodiac sign is Sagittarius.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Renu Desai has an elder sister and a younger brother.
Husband & Children
On 28 January 2009, she got married to Pawan Kalyan, a famous actor and politician.
The couple has two children; a boy named Akira Nandan and a girl named Aadhya Kalyan.
In 2011, the couple filed for divorce and officially parted ways after finalising the divorce in 2012. The Indian Express In an interview, while talking about her divorce from Pawan Kalyan she revealed that Pawan was the one who initiated the divorce proceedings despite Renu’s initial protests. She said,
I get hate messages from many female fans of Pawan garu. I want to ask them only one question. How would you feel if Pawan was your husband and after 11 years of marriage, he becomes a father to another daughter without telling you? During our divorce, I requested Kalyan garu to issue a public statement to clarify it, but he didn’t oblige my request.” India Today
In 2001, Renu entered into a live-in relationship with her Badri (2000) co-actor, Pawan Kalyan, who was married to Nandini at that time. In 2004, they welcomed their son, Akira Nandan, who was born out of wedlock.
Before venturing into acting, she worked as a model. In 1998, she appeared as a mermaid in the music video of the popular song ‘Breathless’ by Shankar Mahadevan.
In 2000, she made her acting debut with the Telugu romantic action film ‘Badri’ in which she played the role of Vennela opposite Pawan Kalyan.
In the same year, she made her debut in the Tamil film industry with the comedy thriller film ‘James Pandu’ starring Prabhu Deva in which she appeared as Renu. She was cast in a lead role as Geetanjali in the 2003 Telugu martial arts film ‘Johnny’ starring Pawan Kalyan.
In 2021, she made a guest appearance as goddess Parvathi in Zee Telugu’s TV show ‘Radhamma Kuthuru.’
Her first film as a costume designer was the 2001 Telugu film ‘Kushi.’ She has worked as a costume designer for many Telugu films including ‘Johnny’ (2003), ‘Gudumba Shankar’ (2004), and ‘Balu’ (2005).
In 2001, she edited the song ‘Ye Mera Jaha’ from the Telugu film ‘Kushi.’ She edited the song ‘Hut Hutja’ from the 2005 Telugu film ‘Balu.’
The first film produced by her was the 2013 Marathi musical comedy film ‘Mangalashtak Once More.’
In 2014, she produced the Marathi film ‘Ishq Wala Love.’
In 2014, she made her directorial debut with the Marathi romantic drama film ‘Ishq Wala Love.’
She owns a Porsche Boxster.
- A Lotus and some text on her left hand’s wrist
- A tattoo on her right hand’s ring finger
- Actress: Deepika Padukone
- Film: Tholi Prema (1998)
- Director: Christopher Nolan
- Poet: Pablo Neruda
- Writer(s): Isabel Allende, Haruki Murakami
- Poem(s): ‘Tonight I Can Write (The Saddest Lines)’ and ‘The Moon Lives in the Lining of Your Skin’ by Pablo Neruda
- Travel Destination: Milan
- Street Food: Pani Puri
- She is an animal lover and often posts pictures with them on social media.
- In an interview, on being asked about why she chose a Marathi language film to start her career as a producer, she replied,
I’m a Marathi at heart. Being born and brought up in Pune, Marathi is one language that is the closest to my heart! So, there was no question of making a film in any other language! Moreover, I think I’m blessed to enter the industry at a time when so many amazing things are happening in this particular genre.”
- In her leisure time, she likes reading, writing, and travelling. In 2019, she wrote an article for BBC.
- In February 2023, she revealed that she has been dealing with heart and health issues for some years. The Times of India
- She is a fitness enthusiast and practises yoga.