Neeraj Bishnoi is an Indian App developer who is known for being the main culprit, for creating the Bulli Bai app, in the Bulli Bai app case.
Neeraj Bishnoi was born in the year 2001 (age 21 years; as of 2022) in Digambar Chowk, Jorhat, Assam. He did his schooling at St. Mary’s School. After completing his schooling, he attended the Vellore Institute of Technology, Bhopal to pursue a B. Tech degree. Hindustan Times
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Neeraj’s father’s name is Dashrath Bishnoi, and he is a shopkeeper. His mother is a homemaker. He has two sisters, one of them is a lawyer, and the other is studying mathematics.
Wife & Children
He is unmarried.
The main culprit in the Bulli Bai App Case
In 2022, Neeraj was arrested from his hometown Jorhat after he was found to be the creator of the Bulli Bai App. He was sent to police custody for seven days. The app was made on the platform GitHub, and the purpose of the app was to trade Muslim women. On the app, the images of Muslim journalists and actresses were uploaded without their permission. In 2022, a journalist claimed that the word ‘Bulli Bai’ was used to insult Muslim women. After Neeraj was arrested by the police, there were reports that the sale of the women in the app was fake, and it was just made to offend women with Muslim ideologies. Before he was arrested in connection to the case, three other people were taken into police custody. Neeraj created many Twitter handles with different names through which he posted offensive content on the platform. He also tried to mislead the police through one of the Twitter accounts. The Quint
- Neeraj scored 86% marks when he was in class tenth. He received a laptop from the Assam government as a present. In an interview, his father said that he was all by himself and did not have many friends. He further added,
He would use his laptop till late… often past midnight. We do not know what he was doing. My wife and I would often tell him to get off it, and he would always respond: ‘Just five minutes more.’”
- In the investigation, he revealed that he gained interest in hacking from a young age, and he had started practising hacking since the age of fifteen.
- Reportedly, he used various online platforms to show his ideas about Hinduism, technology and women. In some of the posts on the online forum Quora, he tried to express that Hinduism was superior to other religions. He also questioned the childhood of actress Sunny Leone for working on adult sites. In one of his posts on the forum, he expressed his views about Hinduism and said,
A religion who thinks that increasing their followers would grant them a higher level in the society cannot be classified as a religion, especially those for whom killing other religion’s followers would grant them a ticket to heaven. I’m not pointing at anyone. I’m not pointing at any religion. My words are enough for that!”
- A well-known media house posted a video in which Neeraj was seen taken to custody by the police.
#WATCH Neeraj Bishnoi, the main conspirator & creator of 'Bulli Bai' on GitHub brought to Delhi by Delhi Police Special Cell
He was arrested from Assam by Delhi Police Special Cell's IFSO team pic.twitter.com/DzPR7rdHtH
— ANI (@ANI) January 6, 2022
- Neeraj’s arrest took place after a female journalist Ismat Ara filed an F.I.R. against the app that was used to disgrace Muslim women. In a post, she talked about this and said,
It is very sad that as a Muslim woman you have to start your New Year with this sense of fear and disgust. Of course, it goes without saying that I am not the only one being targeted in this new version of ‘sulli’ deals. Screenshot sent by a friend this morning.”
- His university rusticated him after he was found to be the creator of the app. The university gave a statement and said,
He has been studying B.Tech since September 2020 via online classes. He has been arrested by Delhi Police in connection with his alleged involvement in Bulli Bai App. Niraj Bishnoi has been suspended with immediate effect from the university, in view of bringing disrepute to the university and defaming the name of the institute.”
- After he accepted that he had created the app, he also claimed that he did not do anything wrong.
- He tried to threaten the police with committing suicide during the investigation.
- During the investigation, he also said that he used the Gurmukhi script for coding because he found it to be easier than Devnagri.
- He also claimed that he used to hack different websites of schools and universities of India and Pakistan.