Lydian Nadhaswaram is a child prodigy and a young Indian pianist. He was a part of the CBS talent show ‘The World’s Best’ and won the talent show. He also made his debut in an online film in September 2020.
Lydian Nadhaswaram was born on Tuesday, 6 September 2005 (Age 15 years; as in 2020) in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. His zodiac sign is Virgo. Lydian started his journey at a very young age and showed interest in music when he was just 3 years old. He used xylophone sticks to play a beat that is considered as a 3/4 pattern by a professional drummer. Lydian’s father saw the potential in him and started teaching him from an early age but he was homeschooled because of his practice sessions.
Hair Colour: Black
Eyes Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
Lydian’s father is Varshan Satish, a music director in the film industry. His mother, Jhansi is a homemaker. He has an elder sister, Amritha Varshini. Amritha is a vocalist and a flutist and features in videos with Lydian for his YouTube channel.
At the age of four, Lydian was taking early morning training sessions from music educator and drummer, Maynard Grant. Lydian’s sister Amirtha Varshini started learning piano and they both would go together for the sessions. By the age of eight years, Lydian had performed in over 600 gigs with his father. After witnessing his father playing the piano, Lydian decided to learn the piano, and he took admission in KM Music Conservatory, a higher education institute for learning classical and western music. He spent four years there before he took part in the CBS talent show ‘The World’s Best’ and won the prize.
- Won the CBS talent show, “The World’s Best Season 1” and won the prize money of $1 million at the age of 14 years.
- ‘Young Indian of the Year’ award by GQ Men of the Year Awards in 2019
- Received the musical instrument “Nadhaswaram” from Maestro Isaignani Ilaiyaraaja
- Lydian is a child prodigy. Apart from the piano, he can play drums, sitar, and even have sessions with tablas. He likes to keep switching between different musical instruments to master every instrument and perform better.
- Lydian Nadhaswaram’s name is inspired by music as well. His name, Lydian means a melodic scale in Western culture. His last name, “Nadhaswaram” is also the name of a musical instrument that is used during temple ceremonies and weddings as it is considered very sacred and auspicious.
- In 2013, Lydian got featured on the POGO channel as the fastest child drummer in India. In 2017, his reputation as a drummer got him a gig of performing a drum solo session at Mumbai’s National Drums Day.
- Lydian has been compared with Mozart as they both had several things in common like Mozart had en elder sister and Lydian does too. Mozart was a master of several instruments and played them really well, Lydian has the same quality.
- Lydian can play the piano blindfolded and he did a performance for the public when he was called on the Ellen DeGeneres show. During his interview on the show, Lydian expressed his desire to perform on the moon.
- Lydian can play a wide range of instruments but he wishes to get the chance to learn and play Harp and Nadhaswaram. He posts videos of him playing different instruments on his YouTube channel.
- During his “The World’s Best” performance, Lydian played ‘The Bumblebee’ on the piano during the show and kept increasing the speed of play. He played the same song at 280 beats per minute and then finally played at 325. This is the result of practicing for 5-6 hours every day.
- Lydian Nadhaswaram made his debut as a film composer with the Indian Malayalam language fantasy film Barroz: Guardian of D’Gama’s Treasure. The movie was directed by Mohanlal. On 4 September 2020, Lydian made his debut as an actor in a musical film, ‘Atkan Chatkan.’ The film was presented by A.R. Rahman and it was released on the online streaming platform, ZEE5.