Kanishak Kataria is an Indian civil servant who topped the UPSC 2018 exam in his first attempt.
Kanishak comes from a middle-class family who lived in Jaipur, Rajasthan. 26 years old Kanishak has been a bright student since childhood. He studied in Kota, Rajasthan from class 3 to 12. He secured 44th rank in IIT JEE (2010) to get admission in IIT Bombay, where he completed his B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering.
After college, he worked as a data scientist in Samsung company in South Korea then he moved to Bangalore where he worked as a data analyst in an American startup company, Two Roads Technologies. In 2017, he resigned from his job to start preparing for civil services.
Family, Caste & Girlfriend
Kanishak’s father is also a civil servant (a Promotee IAS) while his mother is a homemaker. His elder sister is a medical student at Sawai Man Singh Hospital. His girlfriend, Sonal Chouhan works as a software developer at Rakuten Inc. in Tokyo, Japan.
Kanishak’s caste is Balai which is a Scheduled Caste (SC).
- He said he never expected to top the UPSC exam, the result came as a surprise to him. In an interview with ANI, he stated this:
It’s a very surprising moment. I never expected to get the 1st rank. I thank my parents, sister & my girlfriend for the help & moral support. People will expect me to be a good administrator & that’s exactly my intention
- Many Twitter users praised him for his boldness to thank his girlfriend, Sonal, on national television.
- His optional subject was Mathematics.
- Kanishak loves to watch Cricket, Football, and Tennis. He is not much interested in watching movies.
- His all-time favourite Cricketer is Sachin Tendulkar, his favourite Cricketers in current era are Virat Kohli and AB de Villiers.
- Kanishak used to study for around 10 hours daily to prepare for the UPSC exam.
- He says his father has always been a role model for him and he would live to work just like his father used to work.
his caste is BALAI not barai(mentioned above)
so plz correct it because iam also from BALAI caste
you will also crack upsc with good rank???I think his caste should have not mentioned…He is as good as Brahmin…and if he was born in vedic period by gaining knowledge he would have surely been considered as Brahmin…so for me he is a brahmin…and any people of any caste who acquire knowlede is a brahmin in my eyes….