Kanishak Kataria is an Indian civil servant who topped the UPSC 2018 exam in his first attempt.
Kanishak comes from a middle-class family who lived in Jaipur, Rajasthan. 26 years old Kanishak has been a bright student since childhood. He studied in Kota, Rajasthan from class 3 to 12. He secured 44th rank in IIT JEE (2010) to get admission in IIT Bombay, where he completed his B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering.
After college, he worked as a data scientist in Samsung company in South Korea then he moved to Bangalore where he worked as a data analyst in an American startup company, Two Roads Technologies. In 2017, he resigned from his job to start preparing for civil services.
Family, Caste & Girlfriend
Kanishak’s father is also a civil servant (a Promotee IAS) while his mother is a homemaker. His elder sister is a medical student at Sawai Man Singh Hospital. His girlfriend, Sonal Chouhan works as a software developer at Rakuten Inc. in Tokyo, Japan.
Kanishak’s caste is Barai which is a Scheduled Caste (SC).
- He said he never expected to top the UPSC exam, the result came as a surprise to him. In an interview with ANI, he stated this:
It’s a very surprising moment. I never expected to get the 1st rank. I thank my parents, sister & my girlfriend for the help & moral support. People will expect me to be a good administrator & that’s exactly my intention
- Many Twitter users praised him for his boldness to thank his girlfriend, Sonal, on national television.
- His optional subject was Mathematics.
- Kanishak loves to watch Cricket, Football, and Tennis. He is not much interested in watching movies.
- His all-time favourite Cricketer is Sachin Tendulkar, his favourite Cricketers in current era are Virat Kohli and AB de Villiers.
- Kanishak used to study for around 10 hours daily to prepare for the UPSC exam.
- He says his father has always been a role model for him and he would live to work just like his father used to work.