Jwala Gutta is a retired Indian Badminton Player. She has won around 316 international events in both mixed and women’s doubles (the most by any Indian). She is the recipient of Arjuna Award.
Jwala Gutta was born on Wednesday, 7 September 1983 (age 37 years; as in 2020) in Wardha, Maharashtra. After her birth, her family shifted to Hyderabad, Telangana. Her zodiac sign is Virgo.
When Jwala was just 4 years old, her father introduced her to the National Badminton Coach, S. M. Arif. The coach asked her to learn Gymnastics and Swimming before starting her training for badminton. Later, she took her training in badminton from Arif at the Lal Bahadur Shastri Stadium.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Family & Caste
Jwala Gutta is an atheist.
Parents & Siblings
Jwala Gutta was born to a Telugu father, Kranti Gutta and a Chinese mother, Yelan Gutta. Her father hailed from a family of freedom fighters and Leftists from Peddapuliveru in Andhra Pradesh’s Guntur district. Her mother is the granddaughter of a Gandhian named Tseng.She has a younger sister, Insi Gutta.
Relationships and Husband
During her badminton tournaments, Jwala started dating the badminton player, Chetan Anand. The duo got married on 17 July 2005. The couple got divorced on 29 June 2011 due to personal reasons.
Jwala was also rumoured to be in a relationship with the ex-cricketer, Mohammad Azharuddin.
Later, she started dating the Tamil actor, Vishnu Vishal.
She got engaged to Vishnu Vishal on 6 September 2020.
N dis happened last nite n what a beautiful surprise it was!
Today when I think of my life what a journey it has been n 2day I realise there is so much more to luk forward to!Towards our family,Aryan,friends and work!its gonna be another great journey am sure ❤️🥂😘 pic.twitter.com/qjqVkK6CWo
— Gutta Jwala (@Guttajwala) September 7, 2020
Jwala started playing Badminton at the age of 6. She won the Under-13 Girls Mini National Badminton Championship held at Thrissur, Kerala. At the age of 17, Gutta won the Junior National Badminton Championship. Subsequently, she won the Women’s Doubles Junior National Championship and the Senior National Badminton Championship, both in partnership with Shruti Kurien. Their association lasted for several years, and together they won the Women’s Doubles National title for 7 years (from 2002 to 2008) in succession. However, the duo later split their longtime partnership due to compatibility issues.
Thereafter, Jwala paired up with Ashwini Ponnappa from Bangalore. The duo went on to win a gold medal in thewomen’s doubles at the New Delhi Commonwealth Games; making the history of winning the first gold medal for India in the event. Gutta became a household name after this event.
She brought recognition for doubles badminton in India. In 2010, she partnered with Diju for mixed doubles and peaked at no. 6; becoming becoming the first doubles partnership from the country to be ranked amongst the top-10.
In 2016, Jwala paired with Ponappa for the Rio Olympics where they crashed out in the group with two consecutive loses from their opponents from Japan and Netherlands. She has won medals at almost all major international badminton tournaments, except for the Olympics.
- Jwala has been in controversy for her outspoken nature several times.
- Gutta attracted a social media controversy when she took to Twitter to show her disappointment over no mention of sports in the then Finance Minister, Arun Jaitley‘s Union Budget 2017 presentation. She made a tweet, “Will it be complaining or cribbing if ask what sports has in this budget???” Her tweet didn’t go well with the sports lovers who hit her back for under performing and having expectations from the government. Unfortunately, she was not aware that the Sports Ministry had received a hike of Rs. 351 crores taking the budget from Rs. 1592 crore to Rs. 1943 crore. ABP Live
- She has been in controversy several times due to her repeated clashes with chief national coach, P. Gopichand. NDTV
- In 2013, Jwala was banned for lifetime by the IBL for trying to stop the players pf her franchise, Krrish Delhi Smashers, to play against Banga Beats in the IBL. Times of India
Awards & Achievements
- 14 times winner of National Badminton Championship in Women’s doubles
- Won a Gold Medal at the Commonwealth Games (2010)
- Won a Bronze Medal at the BWF World Championships (2011)
- Awarded the Arjuna Award by the Government of India (2011)
- Won a Silver Medal at the Commonwealth Games (2014)
- Won a Bronze Medal at the Thomas & Uber Cup (2014)
- Won a Bronze Medal at the Badminton Asia Championships (2014)
- Food: Chaat, Chinese Cuisines, Sushi
- Actor: Shah Rukh Khan
- Actress: Kangana Ranaut
- Destination: Hyderabad
- Her hobbies include driving and shopping.
- Jwala follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- She wanted to pursue her career in Tennis, but her mother insisted her to play Badminton.
- Jwala is the only Indian shuttler to qualify for the two different events in the Olympics.
- She is an avid dog lover and has a pet pug, Tyson.
- Jwala has got a “Love All” tattoo on her right hand. She has got another tattoo inked on her left wrist.
- Jwala has featured on the cover of the HT Brunch Magazine.
- In 2013, Gutta featured in the Telugu romantic-comedy “Gunde Jaari Gallanthayyinde.”
- Gutta shares a great bond with her coach, S. M. Arif.
- She is a left-handed badminton player who likes to play aggressive badminton.
- Jwala has actively worked for some social causes like women empowerment, anti-tobacco campaigns, and anti-zoo campaigns.
- She has also supported campaigns like Ice Bucket Challenge and Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
- Gutta has launched the Indian Badminton League’s (IBL) school programme ‘Shuttle Express’ in Pune for school children.
References [ + ]