Emma Coronel Aispuro is the wife of Mexican drug dealer Joaquín Guzmán (commonly known as El Chapo). She became a media sensation during El Chapo’s 2019 trial in New York when Damaso Lopez Nuñez, a close aide of El Chapo, testified that Emma was involved in the planning and plotting of the audacious escape of El Chapo from Mexico’s high-security Altiplano prison in 2015. On February 23, 2021, she was arrested in Virginia after being accused of drug trafficking charges.
Emma Coronel Aispuro was born on Monday, July 3, 1989 (age 31 years; as of 2020), and she hails from Sinaloa, Mexico.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Black
Family & Ethinicity
Parents & Siblings
Her mother’s name is Blanca Estela Aispuro, while her father, Inés Coronel Barreras, is a former high-ranking leader of the criminal syndicate ‘Sinaloa Cartel’, and a convicted drug lord. Her brother’s name is Omar Coronel Aispuro.
Relationships, Husband & Children
In November 2007, Emma Coronel Aispuro got married to Joaquín Guzmán (commonly known as El Chapo), the former leader of the Sinaloa Cartel, an international crime syndicate. El Chapo is considered one of the most powerful drug traffickers in the world. Together they have twin girls Emali Guadalupe Guzmán Coronel and María Joaquina Guzmán Coronel.
In 2007, Emma Coronel won a beauty pageant at the Coffee and Guava Festival in Canelas, Durango. Although she is an undeniable beauty, the legitimacy of her crown was questioned as she won the title only after hundreds of gunmen flooded the town on motorcycles, and El Chapo himself surged in the town to host an extravagant party to announce his intention to marry Emma.
Thereafter, she worked as a model for various brands. In 2019, she made a guest appearance in the American reality television series Cartel Crew, which showcased the lifestyle of people who had connections with drug cartels or criminal syndicates.
- On Monday, February 22, 2021, Emma Coronel Aispuro was arrested at Dulles International Airport in Virginia for participating in a conspiracy to distribute cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin, and marijuana for importation into the US. The US justice department has revealed that she is scheduled to appear in a federal court in DC via video conference. Apart from drug trafficking charges, she is also accused of conspiring her husband’s escape from Mexico’s high-security Altiplano prison in 2015. In January 2016, El Chapo was re-arrested in Mexico, and in 2019, he was sentenced to life imprisonment of 30 years at his trial in New York. The Guardian
- Despite gaining the knowledge of grim accounts of murder, rape, and El Chapo’s claims that he had spied on Emma and other mistresses, she remained supportive of him throughout his three-month trial in New York. In an interview, she said,
I don’t know my husband as the person they are trying to show him as, but rather I admire him as the human being that I met, and the one that I married.” BBC News
- She enjoys consuming alcoholic beverages.
- Emma Coronel Aispuro was just eighteen years old when she married El Chapo who was around 50 years old at the time of their marriage.
- She holds dual citizenship of the United States and Mexico.
References [ + ]