Anand Mahindra is a notable businessperson who is a third-generation descendant of the Mahindra family that leads the Mahindra & Mahindra (M&M) corporation. This company has its range across 22 different industries from the auto to the hospitality sector and is also known for developing some fine tractors and SUVs.
Anand Mahindra was born on Sunday, 1 May 1955 (age 66 years; as of 2021) in Bombay (now Mumbai), Bombay State (now Maharashtra and Gujarat), India. His zodiac sign is Taurus. Since childhood, he wanted to be a filmmaker.
Being from an industrial background, his parents never forced him to carry their business forward. He completed his bachelors from Harvard University (Cambridge, US) in filmmaking. In 1977, he returned to India and in 1981, he joined Mahindra Ugine Steel Company Ltd (MUSCO) as the Executive Assistant to the Finance Director. Expanding his business globally, he became a household name after becoming the chairman of the Mahindra & Mahindra group in 2016. In between, he completed his MBA from the prestigious Harvard Business School (Boston, US).
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Light Ash Brown
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Parents & Siblings
His father is Late Harish Mahindra who is the son of the co-founder of the Mahindra group; Jagdish Chandra Mahindra. Jagdish Chandra Mahindra died in 1951.
His maternal grandfather’s name is Kailash Chandra Mahindra who died in 1963. He was a renowned industrialist and one of the co-founders of the Mahindra group.
His mother’s name is Indira Mahindra and she is a writer.
He has two elder sisters named Anuja Sharma and Radhika Nath.
Wife & Children
He got married to Anuradha Mahindra. His wife is a journalist and the editor of the magazines ‘Verve’ and ‘Man’s World’. Plus she is also working as a Publisher of ‘The Indian Quarterly’ magazine.
He has two daughters named Divya and Malika.
Nepean Sea Road in Mumbai (Maharashtra)
- November 2016– Executive Chairman, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd
- 2014– Member of the board of U.S.–India Business Council (USIBC)
- 2013– Non-executive director, Kotak Mahindra Bank
- August 2012– Chairman of the board and Managing Director, Mahindra Group from his uncle Keshub Mahindra
- 2001– Vice-chairman of Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd
- April 1997– Managing Director of Mahindra Group
- 1991– Deputy Managing Director, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd
- 1989- President and Deputy Managing Director, Mahindra Ugine Steel Company Ltd (MUSCO)
- 1981– Executive Assistant to the Finance Director, Mahindra Ugine Steel Company Ltd (MUSCO)
His professional journey started in 1981 when he joined Mahindra Ugine Steel Company Ltd (MUSCO). In 1989, he got promoted to President and Deputy Managing Director of the MUSCO. This step opened the door to Mahindra Group’s diversification into the new business level that bought real estate development and hospitality management into consideration.
In 1996, he established a Nanhi Kali charitable trust that supports the education of the young needy girls in India. Until 2017, it has contributed to the education of around 1,30,000 girls. He also became one of the boards of the director of the Naandi Foundation which is a trust that works toward the socio-economic development of India.
Soon, he became the president of ARAI (Automotive Research Association of India) that works on the research and development of environmentally safe mobility. He then co-founded the Harvard Business School Association in India that promotes Domain management in the country.
Soon, he established the Naandi Danone, which provides safe drinking water to rural parts of India. In August 2012, he took over the position of the Chairman of the board and Managing Director of the Mahindra group from his uncle Keshub Mahindra.
Besides this, he also became the promoter of Kotak Mahindra. He is been endowed with several recognitions and achievements.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- 2016– Social Media Person of the Year’ by the Internet and Mobile Association of India Thinking Aloud
- 2014– Social Media Person of the Year’ by the Internet and Mobile Association of India Thinking Aloud
- 2014– Sustainable Development Leadership Award – The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) Autocar Professional
- 2012– Best Transformational Leader Award – Asian Centre For Corporate Governance & Sustainability Asian Centre for Corporate Governance
- Sports: Lawn Tennis
- Food- Continental
Mahindra Bolero Invader
Mahindra TUV 300
Mahindra TUV 300 Plus
Mahindra Alturas G4
- His hobbies are watching movies, reading books, photography, and sailing.
- He is a huge fan of the African-American popular music genre; R&B. He started a Mahindra Blues festival, which is held annually in Mumbai since 2011. This music fest features some of the top Blue artistes from around the world.
- He is the recipient of some popular honors like Barron’s List of Top 30 CEOs worldwide in 2016 and ‘Knight in the National Order of the Legion of Honor by the President of the French Republic. He also holds the ‘Asia’s 25 most powerful businesspeople’ tag in 2011 and ‘Entrepreneur of the Year’ by Forbes India in 2013.
- He also talked about the 11th NASSCOM Design & Engineering Summit in 2021 from September 26-27 at The Leela Palace, Bangalore. He told,
“There is a sense of excitement in India about spurring innovation at a pace never witnessed before. Doing more with less, getting it ‘First Time Right, and a genuine passion to create anew. These are some of the key driving factors that make India the new destination for innovative, sustainable, and advanced engineering and design initiatives. I think the Indian mindset has moved from one of ‘Jugaad’ to one of ‘Jhakaas’. The jugaad mindset was about just ‘making do’. On the other hand, the Jhakaas mindset is about thinking outside the box to ‘create’ something truly unique and awe-inspiring.”
- He is also a well-known philanthropist who has gifted cars to some of the popular sportspersons around the country for their exemplary performances. Those sportspersons are P.V. Sindhu (Mahindra Thar), Sakshi Malik (Mahindra Thar), Dutee Chand (Mahindra XUV 500), and Kidambi Srikanth (Mahindra TUV 300). He also gifted cars to some of the members of the Indian cricket team in April 2021 for their splendid performance in the Australian tour which includes Mohammad Siraj, Shubman Gill, Shardul Thakur, Washington Sundar, Navdeep Saini, and T. Natarajan. His gesture was appreciated by T. Natarajan in his tweet,
Playing cricket for India is the biggest privilege of my life. My #Rise has been on an unusual path. Along the way, the love and affection, I have received has overwhelmed me. The support and encouragement from wonderful people, helps me find ways to #ExploreTheImpossible ..1/2 pic.twitter.com/FvuPKljjtu
— Natarajan (@Natarajan_91) April 1, 2021
- Besides this, he is been tagged as the face of Indian capitalism by the Economist. The Economist
- His donation to the Harvard Humanities Center of $10 million is the largest personal donation overseas by an Indian. Drivespark.com
- Interestingly, Anand Mahindra being from a rich family has spent his entire childhood in a rented house, which his grandfather bought even before his birth. However, the tenant in the early 2010s decided to renovate the house. So, he told Mahindra to vacate the house. Anand Mahindra then bought the property, which he named ‘Gulistan’. This property has an area of 3000 sq feet and is located near to his last house. He has never worn a wristwatch. MensXP.com
- He was a classmate of Bill Gates; the founder of Microsoft and one of the richest people in the World at Harvard in 1973. However, Bill Gates later dropped out to focus on his company. NDTV
- He once shared his childhood photo on Twitter and wrote,
“After seeing that video of Nick, I retrieved this pic from my school album. That’s Nick at the mike. Always the singer. The twerp to his left is yours truly. Despite being a junior they let me join their band: ‘The Blackjacks.’ Maybe Nick will remind me what song we were playing (sic).”
- He is a keen nature lover who loves posting frequently on social media platforms. Moreover, he is more active on Twitter. This can be estimated from the fact that he has over 8.5 Million followers on this giant platform. One Twitter user from Uttarakhand posted a photo of himself swimming in a water stream located on the mountains with the caption
“No other swimming pool is better than this natural swimming pool.”
- To this Anand Mahindra reacted,
“Whaaaat?? I’ve never seen anything like this. This HAS to go on my travel bucket list as the ultimate swimming experience. Where exactly is this @Sidbakaria? Need GPS coordinates!”
- Once a man named Vipul requested Anand Mahindra to gift him a Mahindra Thar on his birthday as he is a big fan of the Mahindra & Mahindra’s supremo. To which Anand Mahindra replied that took over the internet by storm.
Word lesson of the day:
extreme self-confidence or audacity (usually used approvingly).
"love him or hate him, you have to admire Vipul’s chutzpah"
Full marks for chutzpah, Vipul, but unfortunately I can’t say yes. Mera dhandha bund ho jayega! 😊 https://t.co/wzsUsCZBkM
— anand mahindra (@anandmahindra) August 16, 2019