Satwiksairaj Rankireddy (Satwik Sai Raj Rankireddy) was born on Sunday, 13 August 2000 (age 21 years; as of 2021) in the small town of Amalapuram in the East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh, India. His zodiac sign is Leo. Satwiksairaj attended Aditya Public School, Amalapuram for his primary education and Chaitanya High School, Amalapuram for his secondary education. He is pursuing his bachelor’s degree in commerce from Andhra University through distance education. Satwiksairaj started playing badminton at the age of 6, after watching his father and brother playing badminton; both his father and brother have played badminton professionally. Satwiksairaj Rankireddy had participated in various district level and national level badminton championships before entering his teenage.
Height (approx.): 5′ 11″
Weight (approx.): 75 kg
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Satwiksairaj Rankireddy was born to Vishwanadham Rankireddy and Rangamani, in a middle-class family of Amalapuram, Andhra Pradesh. Satwiksairaj’s father, Vishwanadham Rankireddy, is a former state-level badminton player and a retired physical education teacher from a local government school. Satwiksairaj’s mother, Rangamani, is a teacher in Janupalli ZP High School near Amalapuram in East Godavari of the State.
Satwiksairaj Rankireddy has an elder brother Ramcharan Rankireddy, who is also a professional badminton player.
Satwiksairaj Rankireddy was born into a family of badminton players and grew up watching them practise and play badminton professionally. Satwiksairaj used to skip school and go along with his father to play badminton, that is when he developed his interest in badminton. At the age of 6, Satwiksairaj began practising badminton at the Officer’s Club in Amalapuram, where he and his elder brother were trained by their father. Satwiksairaj participated in various club events and state-level championships under the mentorship of his father. At the age of 11, Satwiksairaj Rankireddy won his first district-level tournament in the U-13 category in a men’s doubles event held in Kadapa, Andhra Pradesh. Later in 2014, Satwiksairaj joined the Pullela Gopichand Badminton Academy in Hyderabad to train under the national coach Pullela Gopichand. Satwiksairaj practised for both, singles and doubles, events and won medals in various national and international tournaments under coach Gopichand’s guidance. Satwiksairaj won his first international gold medal in the U-17 boys’ doubles at the Asian Junior Badminton Championship 2015 along with his doubles’ partner Krishna Prasad. In the same year, he also won his first senior international title at the Tata Open India International 2015 with his mixed doubles partner Kullapalli Maneesha.
Next, Satwiksairaj Rankireddy participated in the International Challenge Series at the Mauritius International, India International Series, Tata Open India International, and Bangladesh International, all in 2016, achieving success in 4 doubles titles and 3 mixed doubles titles. After examining Satwiksairaj’s performances in several tournaments, his international coach Kim Tan Her decided to pair him up with Chirag Shetty, which later emerged as a dynamic duo of Indian badminton. Initially, Satwiksairaj and Chirag were not that satisfied with being paired with each other. Satwiksairaj in an interview said,
When I used to play with Krishna (Prasad) there was good understanding and communication between both of us but when I partnered with Chirag, there was so much misunderstanding as to who will play front who will play at the back, there was a lot of communication problem.”
He further added,
We also started staying in one room. Earlier we used to stay in different rooms. I used to go out with Telugu people a lot. Then I didn’t like to go out with North Indian guys. He used to eat everything, I used to eat only Indian food. So I used to go alone. Our coach told us to stay together, go out together and now we have become good friends, he knows me well now and I know all about him as well.”
The dynamic duo of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty first appeared in the 82nd Senior National Badminton Championships (2017) held in Pune, where they ended up as runner-up in the doubles event. They first came into the limelight after winning the Gold medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in a mixed team even hosted in the Gold Coast, Australia. The dua also won a silver medal in the men’s doubles event at the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
In 2019, Satwiksairaj along with Chirag Shetty became the first Indian badminton doubles player to win the Super 500 series title, defeating China’s reigning World Champion duo Li Junhui and Liu Yuchenand winning the Thailand Open Doubles title.
In 2021, Satwiksairaj Rankireddy along with his doubles partner Chirag Shetty qualified for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. The duo received a ton of congratulatory messages from all across the nation. Andhra Pradesh’s CM, Shri YS Jagan Mohan Reddy, felicitated Satwiksairaj Rankireddy on qualifying for the Tokyo Olympics and also granted him a cash prize of Rs. 5 Lakhs to prepare for the upcoming Olympic games.
- 2016: Mauritius International, Men’s Doubles, Mauritius
- 2016: India International Series, Men’s Doubles, India
- 2016: Tata Open India International, Men’s Doubles, India
- 2016: Bangladesh International, Men’s Doubles, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- 2016: Mauritius International, Mixed Doubles, Mauritius
- 2016: India International Series, Mixed Doubles, India
- 2016: Bangladesh International, Mixed Doubles, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- 2018: Commonwealth Games, Men’s Doubles, Gold Coast, Australia
- 2018: Commonwealth Games, Mixed Team, Gold Coast, Australia
- 2016: Badminton Asia Championship, Mixed Team, China
- 2020: Badminton Asia Championship, Men’s Team, Manila
Badminton World Federation (BWF) Tournaments
BWF International Challenge tournament
- 2015: Winner at Tata Open India International, Mixed doubles
- 2016: Winner at Bangladesh International, Mixed doubles
- 2016: Winner at Tata Open India International, Men’s doubles
- 2016: Winner at Bangladesh International, Men’s doubles
- 2017: Winner at Vietnam International, Men’s doubles
- 2019: Winner at Brazil International, Men’s doubles
BWF International Series tournament
- 2016: Winner at Mauritius International, Men’s doubles
- 2016: Winner at India International Series, Men’s doubles
- 2016: Winner at Mauritius International, Mixed doubles
- 2016:Winner at India International Series, Mixed doubles
BWF Future Series tournament
- 2018: Winner at Hyderabad Open (Super 100), Men’s doubles
- 2018: Winner at Syed Modi International (Super 300), Men’s doubles
- 2018: Winner at Thailand Open (Super 500), Men’s doubles
- 2018: Winner at French Open (Super 750), Men’s doubles
Awards & Honours
Arjuna Award 2020
Satwiksairaj Rankireddy was honoured with the prestigious Arjuna Award in a virtual ceremony held on 29 August 2020. Arjun Award is presented to athletes for their outstanding performance in the field of Sports and Games. The awardees are honoured with a bronze statuette of Arjuna, a certificate, ceremonial dress, and a cash prize of Rs 15 lakh.
- Badminton Players: P. V. Sindhu, Srikanth Kidambi
- Cuisine: South Indian
- Food: Chicken Biryani
- Athlete: Roger Federer
- Actor: Prabhas
- Satwiksairaj Rankireddy was nominated for BWF Most Improved player of the year awards 2018.
- Satwiksairaj Rankireddy along with Chirag Shetty is ranked at the 10th position according to the Badminton World Federation ranking.
- In 2017, Satwiksairaj marked his debut in the Premier Badminton League with the team Hyderabad Hunters, which was also the winning team of that season.
- He is a regular practitioner of yoga and often posts pictures doing yoga with his mother on his social media account.
- Satwiksairaj’s long time dream is to own a luxury car.