Salony Luthra is an Indian actress who predominantly works in Tamil and Telugu films. She has also participated in several theatre works and stage and street plays. She is best known for playing the dual role of Shruti Chandrasekar & Sanjana Chandrasekar in the Tamil film Sarabham (2014).
Salony Luthra was born on 11 June in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh. Her zodiac sign is Gemini.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 55 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
Her father’s name is Siddharth Raj Luthra. She has one younger brother.
Salony Luthra started her acting career as a theatre artist, and she has worked in various street plays and stage shows. In 2017, she performed in a play, No Time for Love, at Gaiety Theatre, Shimla. She is also known for her performance in a Hindi language play based on the novel Blackbird by David Harrower which was directed by Himanshu Kohli and Prashant Kumar.
In an interview, she talked about her experience in theatrical productions. She said,
Theatre is the best place to hone your acting skills.” “It’s a two-actor play — quite tough to get into the skin of the character.”
In 2014, she made her debut with the Tamil thriller movie Sarabham in which she played the dual role of a drug addict and a normal girl.
In 2016, she was featured in the short film Oliyum Oliyum in which she played the role of a blind girl. In 2017, with the release of her short film Kajal in which she played the role of a mute Indian wife who is harassed at the workplace and is abused by her husband. In 2018, she worked in two Hollywood movies, Turned Out in which she played a Latino Spanish girl, and Forbidden in which she played the role of an Indian American student.
In 2020, she appeared in a romantic drama Telegu film, Bhanumathi Ramakrishna, alongside Naveen Chandra.
In 2018, Salony Luthra appeared in a TV commercial for a popular jewellery brand, Bluestone.
- 2014: Best Villain-Female at Ananda Vikatan Cinema Awards for the Telugu film Sarabham
- 2017: Best Actress at the 6th Bangalore Short Film Festival for Kajal.
- Actor: Will Smith( Hollywood), Ranbir Kapoor (Bollywood), Mahesh Babu (Tollywood)
- Cuisine: Indian
- Hotel: Chalets (Shimla)
- Director: Mani Ratnam
- According to Salony Luthra, she loves cooking, and she often shares different recipes on social media. In an interview, while talking about her love for food, Salony said,
I am very chatori. Right from rajma chawal to chole kulche to the street food of Lajpat Nagar and Mandi House, I have tried everything. I miss the street food of Delhi when I am away,” laughs the 26-year-old”.
- Salony is a fitness enthusiast, and she often shares her workout regime on social media.
- She likes to travel and explore different adventurous places.
- For adapting the character of a drug addict in the film Sarabham, Salony even smoked on screen for the role. She said,
- Salony is a certified Scuba driver.
- Salony Luthra has a self-titled YouTube channel, where she posts videos of her cooking skills and has live sessions with her fans, answering their queries; the channel has more than 600 subscribers.
- Salony’s short film Oliyum Oliyum premiered at Chicago South Asian Film Festival in 2017 and gained massive applause.
- Salony Luthra’s short film Kajal had a world premiere at NYIFF (New York Indian Film Festival) in 2017 which gave her enormous recognition. Her overwhelming response to this was-
I believe I am blessed and lucky to be a part of projects which are socially relevant and message oriented. The popularity of short films stems from the fact that a strong message can be conveyed in a shorter time. Short films today have a wider reach since the viewership among audiences involved is higher. Many directors in Bollywood & internationally too are venturing into the short film space. And by sending such films to be premiered at festivals, they get a recognition which would eventually help the film reach a wider set of audience worldwide.” United News of India
- Her American film Forbidden had a NY premiere at NYIFF (New York Indian Film Festival) in 2018.
- In 2015, Salony accepted the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.
- After the release of Salony’s debut film Sarabham, people started resembling her looks with Hollywood star Angelina Jolie and titled her as Angelina Jolie of Tamil cinema.
- According to Salony, had she not become an actor, she would be an ice-cream seller or a travel explorer.
- Salony loves to meditate by either putting on chant music or exploring different colours of nature.