Mumaith Khan is an Indian actress and dancer, who is known for her bold and risqué item numbers.
Mumaith Khan was born on Sunday, 1 September 1985 (age 36 years; as of 2021) in Mumbai. Her zodiac is Virgo. Her full name is Mumait Abdul Rashid Khan. She grew up in poverty and lived most of her childhood in a chawl in Mumbai. In an interview, while walking past the rubbish-strewn streets of the chawl she grew up in, she said,
Look, this is where I came from. I had to get out.”
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Figure Measurements (approx.): 36-30-36
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Abdul Rashid Khan, is a Pathan from Pakistan, who relocated to Mumbai. Her mother, Hasina Khan, belonged to Chennai. The couple had a total of 3 daughters. Mumaith was the youngest of her sisters. One of her sisters, Zabyn Khan, is a Telugu actress.
Mumaith was rumored to be in a relationship with director Puri Jagan. Reportedly, she also dated Khaiyyum, brother of star comedian Ali.
In an interview, Mumaith revealed the beginning of her journey in the film industry. She said that her elder sister, Zabyn, took part in a college event and asked Mumaith to teach her dance. During the event, the lightman noticed Zabyn and offered her to join a dance group of background dancers. At the same time, Bollywood choreographer, Remo D’Souza, parted ways with choreographer, Ahmed Khan. He was in search of girls to form a dance group. Zabyn asked her mother to let her and Mumaith join the dance group. Belonging to a Muslim Pathan family with strong rules and rigid regulations. Mumaith’s mother initially declined their request; however, she later agreed to let them dance because they were in dire need of money owing to the financial crisis they were facing at that moment. Mumaith became a background dancer when she was 13. Gradually, she started grabbing cameos and item songs in movies. She started her career in the film industry in 2001, when she featured in the Tamil film Majunu’s ‘Hari Gore’ song. In 2002, she grabbed a cameo in the Bollywood movie ‘Yeh Kya Ho Raha Hai?’. She rose to the limelight with her cameo as Reena or the hospital dancer in the movie Munna Bhai M.B.B.S (2003). She made her debut in Telugu with a cameo in the film Swamy (2004). She did cameos in Kannada, Bengali, and Odia films as well. By the end of 2017, she had worked in approx 40 Telugu movies, over 20 Hindi movies, 16 Tamil, and 5 Kannada films.
Her first TV appearance was in 2013. She appeared as the third partner of Sana Saeed and Tushar Kalia in the 13th week of Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 6, which had a ‘Teen Ka Tadka’ theme; however, they could not perform as Sana and Tushar got evicted. In 2017, she participated in 2 reality shows consecutively. One of them was ‘Super 2’, which is an adventure reality show that aired on ETV Telugu, and the second show was Bigg Boss Telugu Season 1. In 2021, she judged the dance reality show, Dancee Plus, which aired on the Star Maa channel.
In 2022, she participated as a contestant in Bigg Boss Non-Stop OTT (Telugu); however, she was the first contestant to get evicted from the show. Post her stint in the Bigg Boss OTT, she again entered the house as a wild-card contestant after a few weeks.
- Hyderabad Pub Controversy: On 31 December 2008, Mumaith was performing at a local pub in Hyderabad on the occasion of New Year, when a group of partygoers spilled alcohol on Mumaith’s chest. This made her so furious that she canceled the event immediately.
- Allegations of non-payment of dues by a cab driver: In 2020, a cab driver accused Mumaith of using her cab service for a round trip to Goa and not paying him for the cab service. Mumaith filed an official complaint against the cab driver with the Punjagutta police and accused him of using a fake name, harassing her mentally, and lying about the non-payment of cab service. She showed the screenshots of the chats regarding the cab driver and also the CCTV footage of her paying him cash for the cab service to the media. The New Indian Express
- Drug Case: During Bigg Boss Telugu season 1, Mumaith’s name came up in a Tollywood drug and money laundering case. She was sent a notice by the ED at the Bigg Boss house, after which she left the show for a day to reach the ED office for the investigation of the case. She volunteered to give samples of her hair and nails to the ED. In 2017, she was given a clean chit in the drug case. The Times of India
- She also goes by the names Mumtaz Khan and Mumait Khan.
- Her nicknames are Momo and Munnu.
- She enjoys dancing since childhood. According to Mumaith, her mother says that she started dancing as soon as she started walking.
- In an interview, she disclosed that she failed a class because of Marathi.
- According to Mumaith, she is an average girl. In an interview, she said,
I think I am just an average girl and I am quite amused when people call me things like sexy, etc. I guess it’s the magic of makeup”
- Talking about her appearance in an interview, Mumaith said,
I think my eyes are the sexiest part of me. My legs are short, but I like my long torso and slim waist”
- Mumaith has various tattoos and piercings on her body, which contribute to the edgy look that she is known for. She got her tongue pierced when she was 18. Some of her tattoos are on her upper back, lower back, wrist, and lower abdomen. Some piercings are on her eyebrows, naval, and lips.
- In an interview, Mumaith revealed her wedding plans and said,
I would like to get married and have children in the next two to three years, or at least by the time I turn 30. So, there is still time for that!”
- She earned a sum of Rs. 750 as her first income when she was merely 13 years old. She earned her first income by dancing in the background of a shoot.
- In her childhood, her mother used to search for even 50 paise in the house; however, Mumaith struggled and later purchased a duplex worth Rs. 5.5 million in Mumbai. The Guardian
- In 2015, during the peak of her career, Mumaith suffered a serious injury to her head, when five of her brain nerves were busted. In an interview, she narrated the incident of her head injury. She said,
After I returned from Goa, the next day I took my shower and as I came out of the bathroom I saw myself in the mirror. Suddenly, I recalled ‘Mere Khwabon mein jo aaye’ song from DDLJ where Kajol dances with a towel on her. Even I tried the parody, but unfortunately I slipped and my head hit the sharp edge of my square bed. I really don’t remember what happened the next moment. I went into a coma for a period of 15 days, and after I woke up I thought I slipped yesterday and woke up today”.
- Post her head injury, a total of nine titanium wires were inserted in her head during the operation, after which the doctors advised her to rest for approximately 2 years. She was also told by the doctors that there were high chances of her slipping into a state of depression.
- In November 2017, she was spotted at a cancer awareness walk titled ‘Winners Walk’ in Hyderabad, which was initiated to spread awareness about the deadly disease.
- According to Mumaith, she drinks alcoholic beverages and also smokes occasionally but does not take drugs. India TV