Gaurav Kapoor is a celebrated Indian stand-up comedian with an unmatched story-telling skill. He drives humour from his daily life and experiences. His genre of comedy is a mix of observational and anecdotal comedy. The Delhi-based comedian came into limelight when he opened for the world-renowned stand-up comedian, ‘Russell Peters,’ during his ‘Almost Famous World Tour’ in Delhi.
Gaurav Kapoor was born on 30 November, and hails from Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh, India. He did his schooling from Sumermal Jain Public School, Janakpuri, New Delhi. Gaurav pursued his graduation in journalism from Maharaja Agrasen College, University Of Delhi (2007-2010). Later, he did his masters in fashion management from the National Institute of Fashion Technology (2011-2013).
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
Gaurav Kapoor’s father’s name is Yugal Kapoor. His mother’s name is Sunita Kapoor. He has two brothers, Prateek Kapoor and Kritik Kapoor. His sister’s name is Kritika Kapoor.
Relationships, Wife & Children
On 28 February 2017, Gaurav Kapoor got married to Shreya Sharma.
In Corporate Sector
In January 2013, Gaurav started off working as a retail planner at ‘Reliance Brands Limited,’ Mumbai, where he worked for almost one and a half years. Later, he worked as an assistant manager at ‘Celio’ for a period of four months. From 2014 to 2017, he was working as an assistant manager for planning and merchandising department at ‘Pantaloons,’ Mumbai.
As a Comedian
While working as an assistant manager at ‘Pantaloons,’ Mumbai, he was nominated as the ‘funniest guy in the group’ in his office event. In 2015, Gaurav began visiting and trying his luck at several open mics around Mumbai. He won various open mic competitions in the Mumbai circuit, including ‘Big Mic’, ‘Canvas Laugh Club,’ ‘Chalta Hai,’ and ‘Buzz Off.’ Gaurav got his big break when he opened the show for the famous Canadian stand-up comedian ‘Russell Peters,’ during his ‘Almost Famous World Tour’ in Delhi. Thereafter, he performed and uploaded various stand-up comedy videos on his YouTube channel on subjects like ‘Smartphones and Passwords,’ ‘Rich People, Lifebuoy and Nano,’ ‘Destination Weddings,’ etc. On 20 July 2018, Gaurav’s solo stand-up special, ‘Hahakaar,’ premiered on Amazon Prime Video.
Gaurav Kapoor was once trolled and slammed by his audience to such an extent that his shows were cancelled. It happened on 6 April 2017 when Gaurav cracked jokes about the ‘Royal Enfield Bullet’ and its riders, in a stand-up video that he uploaded on his channel.
Instead of reciprocating the backlashes with abuse or violence, Gaurav did what he is best at, i.e., stand-up comedy. On 16 October 2017, he uploaded another video titled ‘Royal Enfield Joke & Internet Hate,’ in which he humorously responded to his haters and trollers. In the description of the video, he mentioned ‘If you like the video, COME TO LIVE SHOWS.’
- Gaurav Kapoor is an occasional drinker.
- Gaurav was passionate about stand-up comedy since his college days. He also won 1st position in a stand-up comedy competition at Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay University. He actively engaged himself in various extra-curricular activities, like debate, extempore, dance, ad-mad competition, etc.
- While pursuing master’s, Gaurav also aspired to join the Indian army and appeared for the SSB exams, but he failed to accomplish his dream.
- Gaurav has almost 2 million views on each of his YouTube videos, and he has earned a loyal fan-base. Despite his massive fandom, he is of the opinion that gathering an audience for live shows is a big-time challenge. In an interview, he said,
I have two million views on my videos on YouTube, but it’s not easy to sell tickets.
- In July 2020, Gaurav criticised the abusive social media influencers who were posing rape threats to a female comedian, Agrima Joshua, a close friend of Gaurav. He made an emotional appeal to the audience to stop idealising such malicious people and their defamatory remarks on female comedians.
- In 2020, Gaurav was also a part of the show ‘Amazon Funnies’, which featured 14 prominent Indian stand-up comedians. All the comedian performed a 10 minute set on the show. Gaurav talked about movie-watching experience in small-town movie-theatres in the late 90s and one of his most memorable mass bunks in school.