Abrar Ahmed is a Pakistani cricketer who made a record for taking eleven wickets in the test match against England held in Multan held on 9 December 2022. He is a right-hand batsman and legbreak googly bowler.
Abrar Ahmed was born on Friday, 16 October 1998 (age 24 years; as of 2022) in Karachi. His zodiac sign is Libra. His family moved to Karachi in 1977 and before that, his family lived in Shinkiari, Mansehra in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
Height (approx.): 6′ 0″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Abrar’s father’s name is Noor Islam.
His mother’s name is Safin Jan. He has seven siblings, 4 brothers and 3 sisters. Two of his brothers name is Shahzad Khan and Sajid Ahmed. His brother Shahzad Khan was a fast bowler for National Bank.
Abrar belongs to the Pashtun ethnicity.
Abrar made his debut in 2016 when he played in the Under 19 zonal from Karachi and took 53 wickets. In 2017, he got selected for the Karachi Kings for Pakistan Super League. In 2020, Abrar made his first-class debut for Sindh against Southern Punjab in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy. In November 2021, he made his List A debut for the Pakistan Shaheens against the Sri Lanka A cricket team.
In December 2022, he made his debut in the test match against England held in Multan. His performance gained a lot of limelight after he took eleven tickets in the series. He became the 13th Pakistan bowler to pick up five-wicket on his test debut against England in Mulan.
- Abrar is known by the name Harry Potter by his friends because he looks like him when he wears glasses. The Indian Express
- He learned cricket by playing in the streets. He took admission to Rashid Latif Cricket Academy at the age of 15. In an interview, his coach Muhammad
Masroor at the academy talked about his performance in the trial and said,
Same grip se carrom ball, leg-spin, googly, slider saare variations daal raha tha (He was bowling all variations with the same grip). He doesn’t have that massive turn. He was bowling on the stumps, and no one was able to read his lengths.I immediately asked him whether he had ever played with the hard ball. The answer was ‘no’. I couldn’t believe my eyes. Out of curiosity, I checked his fingers, and those were like iron rodes.”
- In an interview, his brother said that during a test match in 1992 held in Mulan, when Virender Shewag made a triple hundred on Saqlain Mushtaq’s bowling, Abrar noticed Saqlain’s mistakes in the test match. In an interview, his brother talked about this and said,
Abrar was about six, and he used to point out mistakes in Saqlain bhai’s bowling. My father got so annoyed because of his running commentary that he locked him in another room.”
- When he was a kid, he had a great bond with his mother. His mother asked him to do hifz (memorization of the Quran) when he was nine years old and he even memorized it. According to his brother, his mother wanted him to pursue aalima (study Islamic sciences), but he disagreed and said that he wanted to play cricket.
- In 2017, he got injured during the Pakistan Super League. In an interview, his brother said that Abrar was so hurt that the doctors said that he would have been paralyzed and would never be able to play cricket again.